CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 185 tranny cooler

Alright, so while my swap is in the process of being done. I have my tranny drained. I figured this would be a good time to put a better cooler on it as opposed to that stupid little U shaped pipe. Come on now, the power steering cooler is bigger than that for cvryin out loud!! Anyways, I have an extra intercooler but no idea what its for...its not a TMIC but like a mini radiator. Any suggestions on what to use? Also, would I need a pump? Or would it flow by itself?
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tranny coolers are self flowing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is this the 165 cooler? The 185 has a square radiator type tranny cooler stock. It's maybe a foot square. Not any bigger than that. I don't think I've got a picture.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

The ST185 uses an oil cooler stock as nitro says above. It's black and looks like a mini-radiator (perhaps this is your "extra intercooler" you mention...) The all trac transmission has an internal pump, so the fluid will just flow through.

Just a warning... make sure to fill the cooler with your gear oil prior to installing it on the transmission. Otherwise when you fill the transmission the gear oil will be pumped into the cooler leaving your fluid level low. Else, fill the case, drive it for a short distance, then top off your transmission fluid. In any case, it's good to top off your transmission fluid after a short drive.

thanks. and yes, its the 185 cooler. about a square foot, about an inch thick, black, and good to know its got an internal pump. thats all i needed to know. thanks fellas
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

Has anyone replaced the two lines from the tranny to oil cooler?

Mine are rusted to shit and Toyota wants an arm n' a leg for new ones..

It would be nice to fabricate a couple lines. I've seen pictures of it done but I've never been able to get a clear answer on what was used.
    -Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
    1990 Celica GT-Four

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

Yes, simple enough to do. The expensive way to do it is to get adapters, and -6AN lines. (figure about $200) The cheaper way of doing it is to take your exsisting lines to a hydrolic line shop. (check your yellow pages they are ALL OVER) They can fabricate you a pair of lines in a few minutes, and they would be less than $100.

Thread Information