CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default st165 headlight upgrade?

What up guys, i just noticed that my light was broken so i had time today to pull it out and change out which ever was broken. I didn't realize that we have to change out the whole freaken Light n not just a bulb thing. Is there n e thing we can upgrade from something and keep just the light and switch out the bulb if we wanted to change the color of the lights?

Yeah. Buy some ebay lenses and run them till they die and then replace with good blubs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

those ebay lenses you speak of are downright dangerous on the road and should be outlawed.

Hella Ecodes or comparable or stock replacements.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Standard answer is H6054, which is a sealed beam unit. Cheap glass and questionable optics because the housing is meant to be thrown away. However, they were standard because of the U.S.'s antiquated laws on automotive lighting, which meant car manufacturers couldn't use the modern designs accepted in other markets.

Typical upgrade, and really the best bang-for-buck, is to buy a set of H4 housings (H6054 means a sealed-beam H4 unit) with an ECE beam pattern. This pattern complies with European specifications, which require a flat cut-off with a slight upward tick at the roadside edge. This puts all light on the road, or roadside signs, as opposed to DOT regulations which require scattering light upwards.

Cibie makes the best housings, but you'll pay for them. Hella and Bosch are the next step down, and are of equal quality -- though Hella has had reported issues with too much separation between high and low beam positions. A cheap alternative are Autopal housings, which do the job and while not the best are a significant upgrade over sealed beam units.

Let me emphasize, these need to be ECE, or E-code, housings to offer the modern beam pattern.

For a final upgrade, get higher efficiency bulbs. Something along the lines of Philips Premium or Osram Super will net you a 30% increase in light output with no loss of life. Higher output bulbs such as the Philips VisionPlus, GE Nightbreaker and Osram (not Sylvania) Silverstar will come at a cost of life.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Monkey with a screwdriver kungFUBAR is on a distinguished road kungFUBAR's Avatar
    kungFUBAR has been to an annual Dragon Meet! kungFUBAR has donated to the forums!

Images

Just say NO to anything that looks like that. Not just "NO", but "HELL NO"

Cheap-ass reflectors like that with blue "HID" drop-ins make me want to kick babies. Blue headlights don't help you in any way. Unless the blue light is shooting out of some $600 bi-xenon housings that are designed with the extra output in mind, you're going to just be another asshat blinding everyone else on the road.

If you go with an H4 housing retrofit, stick with an H4 bulb. Refraction is worse than reflection for higher light outputs, you'll get blinding rainbows instead of blinding "electric blue".

[/rant]

Sorry about the rant, I spend most of my day talking high school kids out of putting HIDs in their beaters.
    Last edited by kungFUBAR; 11-16-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Putting my rant into context.
    Remember kids, speed kills. So do forks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a work in progress...Dragon 2011 2012?

So from what ive seen, are only these 2 that are h4.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7x6-S...#ht_7996wt_948
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLEAR...#ht_3285wt_941
    Unless their is something else i can get thats better or more trust worthy brand? i Also have not been able to find ece or e-code

Monkey with a screwdriver kungFUBAR is on a distinguished road kungFUBAR's Avatar
    kungFUBAR has been to an annual Dragon Meet! kungFUBAR has donated to the forums!

Images

just get some sylvania replacements from autozone for now mike itll cost you 20bucks.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

lol i just got some used from the junk yard. $2.50 a piece. i am looking for an upgrade because the lights are so weak. you cant really see far at all and yea.

The silver star sylvanias are bright as hell. My buddy has em on his 91GTS and when he drives behind me it lightweight pisses me off...also, I have them. And I noticed at night if I briefly turn off my lights, all the freeway signs don't reflect as much. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that they're hella bright, and quite reflective. Id reccomend em.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

Quote Originally Posted by kungFUBAR View Post
    Cheap-ass reflectors like that with blue "HID" drop-ins make me want to kick babies. Blue headlights don't help you in any way. Unless the blue light is shooting out of some $600 bi-xenon housings that are designed with the extra output in mind, you're going to just be another asshat blinding everyone else on the road..
    I tried a set of those once. They cast shadows. The only housing I have ever known to cast shadows like a puppet theater. F*** that. Plus the light port on the bottom just allows for unnecessary moisture to fog your lights from the inside. I have been rocking my Hellas with yellow lamps for a few years now. Less eye strain, less glare, and less costly in the long run.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Car_Barn_Bandit View Post
    I have been rocking my Hellas with yellow lamps for a few years now. Less eye strain, less glare, and less costly in the long run.
    Bingo. A good set of housings and lower temperature bulbs makes all the difference. I've had the best luck with the Osram/Sylvania Yellowstars and the PIAA Crystal Ion yellows.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ght_color.html
    ^Good read on why that is.

Very nice read Kung. Just to clarify, So those lights that you suggested are white lights. Technically yellow would be best if i want to see farther clearer in the dark and see signs and what not better?
    Or will those h4 euro halo lights be fine for a while? or will visibility suck when driving at night?

When I was in Ohio, I'd get pulled over every other month for having yellow lights. The way that law is enforced, they require a special procedure to fine you. I've had cops tell me they're too bright, they're blinding, etc. Lights have to meet a distance, brightness requirement in the Ohio Revised Code. Color is mentioned in the Ohio Admin Code, which is more like a reference book. Never got a ticket, I know the law.

I can honestly tell you after 2 years of night driving with yellow Nokya lamps, my eyes feel great. I'd drive 3-4 hours at a time and my eyes felt fantastic. Your eyes adjust and you can see fine at distance. Reflective signs have more contrast, especially when the temps are cool and ambient light at night is blue. They are amazing in snow storms and heavy fog. You can see why France had them standard for over 50 years.

California states White or Yellow for headlamps. Try them out. Nokya's are pretty inexpensive direct from the warehouse.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Halogen is a perfectly good lighting system. E-codes are a massive upgrade to the DOT standard. Visibility will improve over stock.

In low light situations, our eyes use a different set of sensors, specifically rods, as opposed to the more colour-accurate cones used in bright lighting. As they are much more sensitive, high frequency wavelengths such as blue are uncomfortable at night -- this is where glare comes in. Yellow light isn't better for visibility, so much as it is better for preserving night vision by not causing glare.

As a longer wavelength, yellow also penetrates water better. Whether in the form of mist, rain, snow or fog, water scatters blue light; the wall of light effect you get with high beams and a fog is an example. Yellow light cuts through water better.

The caveat to all this is the cost in lumens to tinting the bulb yellow. Any colour tint will reduce the overall light output, reducing visibility. This is why Sylvania Silverstars, with a light blue tint, only produce 10% more light than a standard halogen even though the bulb is actually 50% more efficient than standard. If you're going to get yellow lights, I would suggest looking at a high efficiency design, which gives you 30% more lumens than standard before the tint is considered. That way you don't lose lumens when you gain the advantage of yellow wavelengths.

By the way, you linked three sets of headlights. Two are the same Autopal 200mm housing. One is a 165mm housing set for cars with four headlights. Double check the sizes before ordering anything.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    By the way, you linked three sets of headlights. Two are the same Autopal 200mm housing.
    not exactly, one of those sets has a Halo light port in the housing (which i find totally ricey btw)
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Images

Ack, missed that.

Those city lights are pointless in North America. In Europe, the cities are well-lit, so that headlights are not needed for illumination; a city light simply makes the vehicle more visible, rather like daytime running lights. Lacking such a situation, the only thing those city lights do is disrupt the reflector and lens, reducing the headlight's performance.

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

I'm gonna try those Autopals previously linked to an eBay auction... I have two eBay versions of the diamond? cut lights and I think one sucks more than the other especially when using the high beams it goes high up into the trees but lights up everything tho ..but hey, in my opinion, they are better than the stock sealed beams since I can see more better.

right and at the same time you are blinding the fuck out of anyone coming towards you. As I said those "diamond cut" lenses should quite honestly be outlawed.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    By the way, you linked three sets of headlights. Two are the same Autopal 200mm housing. One is a 165mm housing set for cars with four headlights.
    I know, I was just putting out examples of good brands, not really paying attention to size or application. I thought I had linked a Hella kit too, but I guess I pasted the wrong one

Images

I have to disagree on "diamond cut" being bad. Properly known as complex reflectors -- because the reflector is made up of many small angled surfaces to shape the beam rather than relying on a glass lens -- they are an improvement over the classic parabolic reflector. The thick glass required to shape the beam pattern through the lens means significantly less light gets through; a complex reflector lamp will be brighter with the same bulb and wattage. Given it requires sophisticated modelling to produce such complex reflectors, they weren't really economical to produce until computers reached a decent level of capability in the latter half of the 20th century.

The trouble is that they are far more vulnerable to cheap designs, which is where E-bay comes in. The term "diamond cut" is usually a good giveaway that it's a cheap design, but not always.

That said, like in many things, headlights are competitive enough that to get quality, you have to pay for it.

I was referring to the "diamond cut" (plastic) lenses that you find ALL OVER ebay.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

autopal e codes and ddm tuning dual beam hid's for me. love it. and the high beams are simply retarded.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafix View Post
    autopal e codes and ddm tuning dual beam hid's for me. love it. and the high beams are simply retarded.
    The other drivers on the road hate you for the glare. Get yourself a real HID housing, not one designed for the focal point, and efficacy of a halogen bulb.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

aw you are funny. unlike 99% of the asholes out there, i actually have a 5000 dollar headlight alignment machine at work that i get to use on my personal vehicles.
    do enlighten me on these HID only housings though. it'll be interesting to see what those are.

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Thread Information