CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Smile Terracar - V6 Alltrac

Some of you know Demon is my '92 Alltrac, if you don't now you do

Well since I have had Demon up and running for 6 months or so I have never really been totally happy with how she has performed. I love the boost rush, but I don't like the fact that when I need to down shift to make a light I have to wait for the snail to spool and even then it just lacks the oomph so I usually just brake hard instead of trying to beat a light (probably safer anyway), but the over all performance just doesn't wet my noodle. So I started looking into some different options including what it would take to make the 3sgte more of what I was looking for.

Well the best bang for buck I found was a V6 swap. This has been done before by 4v6 and was like a light bulb turning on. I started looking into prices for the v6 conversion and came across a MR2 guy who was selling his '01 1mz. The price was one I couldn't pass up so I made arrangements to pick it up. (After all was said and done it was cheaper than the ST165 shell I picked up LOL)

I purchased this from a guy on the MR2 boards (thanks Ben!) and honestly the guy has been the most stand-up guy I have ever dealt with. I had a few questions on some items after the sale (2weeks later to be exact) and he still is quick to reply to email/text/phone. I just wish all my transactions were this easy. I drove down south of Salem (about 2.5 hours from my house) to pick it up. Ben was ready and after 45 mins of shooting the shyte he helped us load it up and all the extras he included with it. He had 2 MK1 MR2s, one with a 20V conversion sexeh sexeh!

The story of the 1mz is that it was out of the highlander with 60k. The engine was burning oil so the guy had a new motor dropped in. The 1mz is notorious for burning oil, but usually later in life and much higher in mileage. I plan to check out the block/pistons/heads and proceed as necessary. I would like to add a S/C rather than a turbo down the road. I have been keeping my eye on BoostedCamry's development of a a custom Magnuson MP90 supercharger kit for the 1mz (http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=404636). I figure the S/C will be much easier to get done than fabricating the turbo system, especially with retaining AWD.

The first goal is to source the major components required: Engine and transmission. I figure the other items such as driveline, axles, mounts will be better sorted once I have the first two items.

Second goal is to get the 1mzfe checked out and re-assembled (motor is completely disassembled).

Third will be to get it into a viable recipient vehicle (this will most likely be Demon, but if I find a relatively cheap St185/165 shell I might reconsider).

This will basically be a running checklist for myself at this point.

Need to source/buy:

Engine - done
    Wiring harness - done
    Most major sensors - done
    Non-returnless fuel rails - done
    Rav4 transmission - have one sourced, but need to purchase
    MAF sensor - needed
    Passenger side mount fabricated - nedded
    Impeller shaft - needed
    Pass axle - needed
    ECU/EMS - needed
    Flywheel - needed
    Clutch - needed
    Fix spark plug tube - needed
    Fuel pump - needed
    Alternator - needed
    AC pump - Needed
    Possible Tachometer conversion - TBD if needed

Here are a few photos to take a gander at and if you wish to see all the photos I have so far of the 1mzfe you can view the album here: http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...rracar/1MZ-FE/

-Terracar
    Last edited by Terracar; 10-30-2010 at 09:56 PM.

nice! thats going to be cool.. MOAR PIX!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's going to be sweet. I've followed 4V6's progess. This will make an interesting ride.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

So I was bored tonight and decided to get some measurements and see the difference in sizes compared to the 3sgte. I haven't reassembled the 3sgte yet so will be a little bit before I can take measurements....

Just imagine this bad boy sitting in your engine bay.

-Terracar

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

Just curious, whats the advantage of dual throttle bodies? Aside from more airflow?

I love the 3S but its cool seeing someone do things differently.
    -Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
    1990 Celica GT-Four

Not sure to be honest about why the dual throttle bodies, but I believe it is part of the ACIS system. There is a block off plate to split or merge the flow of both into one. Oddly enough they look small as hell, but are actually only a .25" smaller in diamter than the 3sgte tb. (3sgte = 2.25" vs 1mz = 2" x 2)

-Terracar

_
    Last edited by Numbchux; 06-08-2013 at 03:57 AM.

I think I know the Ben you got that from. That 1MZ very nearly ended up in my garage...I just drove a 1MZ-swapped AW11 this summer and it was too tempting! I am glad it found a home. This should be a killer project.
    NOTICE: As of 15 January 2013, I am no longer associated with Lithia Toyota of Springfield.

Thread Information