CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Default Running without power steering?

Alright, here's the ordeal: my power steering has a bad bearing so the pulley won't turn on it.. at least not much. So what happens is if I drive it above 2k rpm (which is hard to not do) or turn the wheel the slightest bit, it makes a deafening scream from the pump and belt. I have a brand new pump on order, but right now I'm sick of driving my sister's Tiburon. It's a piece of crap and the sound system sucks.

The question is, will it harm my car to just cut the p/s belt and drive it without p/s with the pump still attached and fluid still in the pump and rack and all that? The p/s pump is run off the water pump but there is another belt driving the water pump so I don't think it would be a big deal, it shouldn't overheat or anything.

I wouldnt think that it would harm anything. But im not to sure, I cant see how anything could get messed up..But then again I'm not really sure.. WAit and see if someone else has done this before, and what thier results were, cause a rack and pinion aint cheap, and sure as hell aint easy to install..

How long till the part arrives?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

April 29.

You have 2 belts running your water pump?
    If so, you'll be fine.
    I did it on my 92 for a while. Didn't want to hack it up like the GTS, so I left it all on.
    It'll be kinda hard to turn, but probably not much worse than what you have now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Haha, yeah I'm not using the car at all right now. I've driven my dad's 1988 Mazda B2200 with no p/s many times and have gotten used to it, so I should be able to handle it. I just wanted to know if anyone else had done this before I did. Tomorrow I should be getting my tire repaired and I can drive the Celica again. Yay.

I think i have the same plm with the power steering... when im moving really slow or stopped and try to turn the wheel it makes a loud, ridgity feeling sound. Also it sounds like i have a supercharger now. Could it be the belt or the power steering pump itself? my power steering still works just makes that weird sound.

I had no power steering on my 91 gt back a while ago and let me tell you, its a BITCH to drive, but it can be done.

The pump gets here in 5 days so I'm not going to bother driving it until then.

Celicaguy, sounds like my problem. Do your rpm's drop after you turn the wheel at a stop? You need to open the hood and look at the p/s pump and drive belts and have someone keep turning the wheel back and forth. If the belts seem to slow down drastically or seize up, or the p/s pump pulley slows down, you likely have a bad bearing in the pump which is keeping the pulley from turning. Make sure the belt is on correctly first though before you decide this is the problem.

haha i just got on here to read up on power steering cuz mine is leaking from right above the axle.

That would prolly be your pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yea mine makes the same sound as described up there but it will do it just idleing and it gets alot louder when i do turn

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78
    That would prolly be your pump.
    Or the high pressure hose.
    2007 Mazda RX-8 GT
    1992 Toyota Celica All-trac Turbo

MeOw?! ^_^ ... ZoOm ... rAr! ... *eats a fish*

Thread Information