CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 2002 Celica GTS bent valve???

I started getting a check engine light and the code refers to a misfire in cylinder 1. I had my buddy clear it and never the less... 350-400 miles later it came back with the same code pointing to a misfire in cylinder 1. One day warming up my ride I heard knocking on top of cylinder one and I looked up other forums stating that for some reason my year celica there was an issue with bent valves?

Can anyone tell me how true this is? Anyone else have this type of problem?

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

The only way you could easily bend a valve is a mis-shift or a broken timing belt.

It is more likely that your valves need to be adjusted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

bent valves come from a mis shift. you may have broken lift bolt, bad spark plugs, valves out of adjustment....

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

7th gens are timing chains. And most the time your misfire comes from a bent valve. You can generally check by running a compression test. The number 1 cylinder would register less compression than the others.

usually if you bend a valve, youll bend 1 and 4 together, or 2 and 3 together.

And also, these cars had an issue with their ECUs and injectors and there was a TSB issued, a revised injector and ECU released to deal with a misfire too.

So, your issue may not be as serious as valves. Do the compression test and see.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Quote Originally Posted by Grot View Post
    The only way you could easily bend a valve is a mis-shift or a broken timing belt.

It is more likely that your valves need to be adjusted.
    wrong, 2ZZ can bend valves at 8500RPMs very easily. i have been building and repairing them for almost 10 years now. I have almost seen it all
    2001 Celica GT-S Turbo 2ZZ-GTE
    1997 Supra TT 6 speed 2JZ-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ V6 hybrid
    1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    bent valves come from a mis shift. you may have broken lift bolt, bad spark plugs, valves out of adjustment....
    wrong! broken lift bolts have absolutly nothing to do with misfires, you dont have to misshift to bend valves.

it could be plugs or valves out of adjustment

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Smaay View Post
    wrong, 2ZZ can bend valves at 8500RPMs very easily. i have been building and repairing them for almost 10 years now. I have almost seen it all
    I'm a 4th gen guy I was just making an assumption.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The 2zz is an interference engine. So throwing a timing chain could bend the valves. But if that happened the engine wouldn't run at all. A misshift could bend a valve if you sent the engine clear up to the rev limiter and just dumped the clutch.

The main effect of broken lift bolts is the engine sometimes just won't go into lift.

Moral of the story is Smaay is correct as usual.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

^^^^ the 2ZZ is only interference when lift is engaged.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

i stand corrected, i didnt know what happens when the lift bolt break.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Great advise. I will have my mechanic do a compression test later today.

So far, to try to remedy the solution, I have changed the spark plugs to ngk oem spark plugs and that didn't do a thing. Thanks SMAAY! I'll do that compression test later. Now if it is a bent valve, would anyone know of a good site I can get a new cylinder head from?

When i bent my valve, i ordered new thru monkeywrench racing. had a local shop do all the head work. it wasnt all that bad to take the head off while the engine was in the car.
    might be better to rebuild what u have instead of buy new. but its all your call.

just because you bent a valve, you dont need to replace the head. trust me i see bent valves in 2ZZs all the time. when i do an engine rebuild, i take all the valves out and put them in my hand drill. watch the face of the valve to see if it wobbles, if its smooth, then its good, if its bent it will wobble. a severe bend might crack the valve guide so it will need replacing, but a slight bend you only have to replace the valve and re-shim it.

as for pulling the head in the car.... i HIGHLY SUGGEST AGAINST IT! yes it can be done, but for the amount of work involved, just pull the engine. i have a complete guide on here in the stickys step by step. you cant go wrong.

Thread Information