CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 205 ecu with 185 engine?

I've heard of it being done before, but what're the catches? Does is have everything the 185 ecu has? I heard it deletes the stupid MAF unit which is a plus. But what else would be considered an upgrade by getting this ecu? Would there be any downgrades? Would I gain any horses? Other than deleting the MAF.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

usually you would go with the whole 205 electronics conversion. So, you would need the ECU, MAP, MAT, IAT and fuel injectors.

yes, it deletes the MAF. Yes it is considered an upgrade. Yes you should be able to generate more power

~Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

well chris, since you know where my swap currently stands. what would you reccomend?

also, which wire harness do i use? lets make this a good thread for future references for anyone whos interested in doing this upgrade.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

Lunis already done it, and there's probably already a thread in FI about it. I've got the parts together, just haven't had a chance to do it [for the last year + ].
    You're also going to need the 205 igniter [IIRC a 6th gen 5S is the same].
    I would also possibly suggest a adjustable FPR, the 185 fuel pump doesn't put out as much as the 205 does so you might need to raise fuel pressure. But that might not be a problem as long as you have the stock turbo. I'm have no personal experience with this, just mentioning it.

Jeez. This site never ceases to amaze me. It literally has EVERYTHING. (Since lunis already got a thread on this ) ill go ahead and search for it.

So uh, how much you want for the whole setup to do this upgrade? and if you were up for selling the setup, would you happen to have everything I need? Ie:ecu, injectors, MAP, etc.

Also, my DD st161 broke doewn last night so I either have to findout what's wrong...or push to get this alltrac done. :/

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

Here is the thread I started when I got my ST205 stuff, this discussion should help you somewhat. and it has pictures of what you need.

by the way, I traveled for 10 months last year so I haven't gotten around to doing this conversion, yet. It's still coming...I just now got back into a normal daily groove and can handle doing work on my cars etc.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...day&highlight=

Concerning the current state of your swap and relating to an ST205 conversion... Your can of worms would be getting bigger, not smaller, unless you are going to a whole sale change. That isn't to say you can't do it, but I don't know what your approach is here exactly. Are you trying to get your swap up and running quickly and correctly, or are you going for big changes?

In the thread I linked to more than one person suggested staying with the ST185 harness if possible when doing the ST205 mod. That is your main problem...maybe you can deal with it by going with an included ST205 harness if you can find it like I did.

~Chris
    Last edited by Carolina91GT-S; 10-19-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

well my budyy wanted to do the conversion and i figured it might be something that i want to look into. as of now i need my swap done asap. i still havent called terracar about the harness ive been so busy lately. ehh. especially since my DD broke down. i replaced the broken distributor today but still didnt start. hopefully my full on timing tune up tomorrow works. if not, im pushing this alltrac till im done!

hi Eric, i did the swap on my all-trac and so far i like it. it may not have as much power as my gen2 electronics with a SARD tuned rom in upper rpm's but i starts better and i dont have to worry about air leaks from the afm to the throttle body and i now have big enough injectors to pass the 300awhp mark. i think once i retard my exhaust cam ill gain the power i lost in the upper rpm's. it does still have nice power though. i used the jumper harness from BERK but i dont think they sell it anymore but you can just repin yours. the other thing i like of the gen3 is when i had my stock gen2 ecu my afr's would go pig rich i think past 3psi but with the gen3 mr2 ecu im using the afr's stay in the mid 14's up to like 8psi or around that. i dont think that is good for the pistons but who doesnt want better mpg's in their DD i think its a nice upgrade since its plug & play besides swapping out the freaking injectors. at least i now know how to swap injectors lol i forgot to ask, what happened to your DD?

1991 all-trac w/ gen3 swap, 14 avalon, 08 sequoia 5.7L , 1969 mustang build in progress and a 87 toyota longbed 5 spd

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

You're probably better off using the 185 harness, especially if you have a US one. There's only 6 or so wires that are different, then you'll have to make the CSI work for the intake temp and the AFM temp work for the air temp. You're also going to have to make a circuit to bypass the code 52 [if you use an ST205 ECU], otherwise you'll have a MIL.

Thread Information