CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Question help me decide what to do...

As you all know already.....My vert was hit last week by an old lady, her insurance is covering it. Im waiting for the adjuster to come out sometime today to give his estimatem well last thursday i had my an estimate done by a friend who is a certified body shop estimator at the toyota dealer, now granted it was a padded estimate(what ever had a scuff on it he wanted to replace(exp: rocker panel cover, front jdm corner light). what he estimated me isnt what ill pay. accoring to his system it was totaled.....

option one) talk to them and see if i can get just the value of it, and repair it and keep the clean title, therefore moving on with the rest of the work(suspension and steering rack and eventual 3s swap).

option 2) let em total it and get the money.....buy alltrac in MI and buy the convertiable back from insurance with salvage title, then either part out the vert or sell as project(i already located all the body panels i need to repair it + widebody front fenders and will be purchasing them regardless) so all the new owner would have to do is install everything and paint it. good to go. it stilll runs and drives.

Ive always wanted an alltrac, at at the same time i love my convertiable a lot. to me in my mind its a better platform in the trac vs the vert.

thoughts?

adjuster will be here at noonish.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

tho be honest if u love the vert that much i would keep and fix and set it for the swap
    R.I.P Cherry Bomb (1990 Celica ST)

They call me Hadoken because im DOWN RIGHT FIERCE

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

i do but IMO having a true alltrac is better than a swapped turbo fwd convertiable..... cuz well its still fwd

It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......

Images

Well insurance adjuster wants to cut corners on my estimate, so i gotta call my body shop and see what and why their estimate is so different. So I guess once again an alltrac is so close but yet just out of my reach. It just pisses me off the insurance wants to cut corners for a half ass repair.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303 View Post
    As you all know already.....My vert was hit last week by an old lady, her insurance is covering it. Im waiting for the adjuster to come out sometime today to give his estimatem well last thursday i had my an estimate done by a friend who is a certified body shop estimator at the toyota dealer, now granted it was a padded estimate(what ever had a scuff on it he wanted to replace(exp: rocker panel cover, front jdm corner light). what he estimated me isnt what ill pay. accoring to his system it was totaled.....

option one) talk to them and see if i can get just the value of it, and repair it and keep the clean title, therefore moving on with the rest of the work(suspension and steering rack and eventual 3s swap).

option 2) let em total it and get the money.....buy alltrac in MI and buy the convertiable back from insurance with salvage title, then either part out the vert or sell as project(i already located all the body panels i need to repair it + widebody front fenders and will be purchasing them regardless) so all the new owner would have to do is install everything and paint it. good to go. it stilll runs and drives.

Ive always wanted an alltrac, at at the same time i love my convertiable a lot. to me in my mind its a better platform in the trac vs the vert.

thoughts?

adjuster will be here at noonish.
    Well - my first advice would be to get a "second opinion" if that is at all possible. I find it hard to believe that the damage I saw in your photos constitutes a "total" for a 'vert.

Keeping in ming that this "adjuster" is working for the old lady's insurance company that must pay the bill.

I also find it hard to believe that you will find any kind of a decent Alltrac if the car is totaled for that damage - you won't get near enough.

You need to find a way to appeal the estimate of this adjuster - namely by getting numerous other estimates of the damage and valuations of your car as it was before the accident.

Usually the dispute hinges on the perceived value of the car.

If this value they decide is in the 3.5k to 5k area that I would think current market value is for a car like that - then you might possibly get a decent Alltrac for that settlement price.

If you could then buy-back the car with even a salvage title - that would be fine - as a salvage title is still a title and the only bad thing about that is that it greatly lowers the value of the car should you want to sell it - but if you love it and want to keep it - no probs.
    Last edited by klapa; 10-12-2010 at 12:43 AM.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

If they determine that it is a total loss, it is a total loss. There is no getting a clean title back on that.

They don't just give you the money to cover that.

If they total it, they will likely give you the option to buy it back, but it will still have a branded title.

When my Buick was written off as a total loss, they bickered about everything on the car. All the dents and dings on the car preexisting. That knocked nearly $1000 off the total of the car. I bought it back for $500, but it was all done in a rapid manner to where the car never left my possession. It is my understanding that not a lot of places work like that. I was also told that due to the age of the car, there would be no branding on the title. Your experience may vary.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

I hate to see someone "chose" to brand a title if its not truely totalled, which your car is definately not, but I do understand the reason behind it.

That issue aside you have to realize that if the adjuster that looked at the car was from the responsible parties insurance, they are going to do everything in their power to settle it for as little as possible. A first offer will always be lowball. You need to counter with your own estimates as well as market prices of similiarly equipped and comparable condition cars especially if they are wanting to "total" the car. Doing a decent amount of legwork and dragging this out for the best possible settlement you can get is in your best interest, so dont just settle for what the OTHER SIDE wants to give you. Do a little research and ask around for the the most expensive repair shops and when you take it in for an estimate make sure you point out EVERY possible flaw you want fixed. If you present yourself as extremely anal, the body shop will tack on a little extra to cover their asses in the event you bring the car to them. Also DEMAND factory parts where possible. The more estimates you get the better your case is with the insurance co.

What you actually do with the car in the end is sort of irrelevant at this point. You need to determine damages first.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Images

Klapa- I agreed with you I don't see it anywhere near totaled, then. I got the dealer collision estimate and according to his calculator it was totaled, but that with with replacing the fender with a new oem one( no sence in repairing collision damage on a already cheap replacment fender that rusted under the paint from prior repair to it coming in to my hands) and a new oem mirror and mirror triangle( the part that the mirror and tweeter mount too and a door skin instead of a cheap non oem door. Even after that I still don't see it as totaled not one bit.but he is a certified estimator so I trust him.

The adjuster wanted to no replace the moulding but fillem with bondo and paint em and get the cheapest junkyard door he could find along with an aftermarket mirror.and only repair the collision damage on the fender and paint over the rust( imo cheap ass half done shit). He also won't blend the door into the rear quater panel so ill have a shiny fender and door but the faded rear

Murg and facime- I agree with you both no sence in making the car totaled if its truly not. I'm gonna go to another reputible body shop after work and get another estimate and see which its closer too. And then go to the other dealer body shop so I can get a few more estimates. The ins. Already cut me a check for what he thought I needed, and left. I've worked in a body shop and know what's right and wrong and what the ins said was a complete low ball and I will have to pay extra for the tru oem stuff(refuse to use cheap shit from china or america, it just isn't the same as OEM; just more money out of my pocket)

It just makes me mad cuz the other party and I both have the same insurance agent, he's seen my car personally, but yet state farm won't pay to have my car repaired properly as it should.

I'm waiting to hear back from car barn bandit who has a set of oem vert doors and widebody fenders waiting in akron for me, so that's gonna help with cost just to have to refinish replacment door and transfer the window and inner panel, and mod the bottom of the fenders spray em and put them on. But I still feel I didn't get what I need to to fix it the right way, the only way in my book( they don't know about the parts a sourced already).

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

If you took the check, the insurance has closed this and considers this settled most likely.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Murgatroy View Post
    If you took the check, the insurance has closed this and considers this settled most likely.
    I wasnt offered any other way....

Thread Information