CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy 165 wire harness conversion to 185

i have my 185motor that was pulled from a 165. the person before me was runnning it off of a 165 ecu, with a 165 wire harness. he mentioned that it was converted for the engine, but i have no idea what he did. before i put this engine in, i want all the wiring done first. do i just leave it as is?(on the engine side) and change pinouts at the plug? itll be for a new 185 ecu. (ive yet to decide which ecu to get. most likely the 91 model since its readily available). or do i oull off the wires all together and connect my 185 harness to it and get the matching ecu? i dont want to have to pull the 165 wire if i dont have to. ie: if theyre simliair enough to work with.

this is just another stopping and slowing point on my swap
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

If he's already converted the engine side - meaning, converted all the sensor plugs etc., then the easiest thing is probably to just swap the ECU pinouts to the new ST185 ECU plugs. And then deal with any extras on a case by case basis.

There are a couple differences, but it's not too hard. He might have already dealt with a few anyway as they reside in the engine side of the harness.

I think you'll need different ECU plugs though, they are different between the gens.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC

Awesome. Sounds good. I have an extra 185 harnes that I can get the plugs from. The engine side of the harness is all chopped up. But the ecu plugs ae in good condition. All I need is the new ecu and I'm done.m I got the engine in lastnight. I'm stoked if I get a new ecu ordered today I should be done by next week. Its pretty exciting.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

Thread Information