CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Richee3's progress thread.

Hey all, how's it going? I'm Daniel, or richee3. I post quite a bit over on 6gc, but seldom ever post on Celicatech. To be honest.. I think I have one post. I met up with a couple of members from Celicatech recently and they've inspired me to start a thread over here as well. I've been through 3 6gc's and this is my fourth. I'll give a brief history.

Back in '96, a dark gray/blue Celica pulled into my driveway and dropped my older brother off. It was the first Celica I had ever seen, and I liked it. My brother was always telling me of how fast the car was and how much fun it was. (Sometime thereafter, I discovered the Supra and it became my favorite car.) A few short years later, I got my first Celica. It was a 3L2 1996 ST automatic. It was slow, but you could eat off of the carpets. Detailed every week, oil changed every 2,500 miles, garage kept, old lady driven, etc. Plus you can't complain about 35 mpg. I had it 5 months to the day and a deer took care of that car.

Blown airbags, twisted frame, the works. I was only going 45. So 3 long months of searching later, I found a black '98 GT 5 speed that was 3 hours away from me, but my parents and I made the drive and brought it home.

Then I was driving home from work one night and a deer decided to rape the driver's side of this car in the middle of town.

$3,250 in damage, and it would have been more if I had my windows closed. That deer would have busted the window out all over me. While that car was in the shop, I found a '96 ST coupe for sale for $400. The thought of a project crossed my mind, but I was broke so I parted it out for some extra cash.

Got the black car back, many more miles of happy motoring passed, and due to a sudden turn in events, I had to sell my Celica. I picked up a 2002 Lexus IS 300 to replace it, but I quickly became bored with the IS and after only a month, I learned that the gray/blue Celica at the start of this thread was for sale. Keep in mind that it was my brother's friend's mom's car and it was maintained to a T when she owned it. Then she sold it to my brother's friend, her son, and he trashed it. Within a year, the seats were ripped, the paint was faded, and most importantly, the engine was locked up. He was selling it for $250. It's the Celica that got me into Celicas, and it became mine.

So now I own it. Faded paint, nasty ripped seats, smoker's car, super blown engine. Let the progress begin. The general idea is to have SS-III front splitters, TRD skirts and rear splitters, and I'm undecided for the spoiler. Simple 5 spoke rims. Lowered on Eibach Sportline's and KYB GR2's. For the powerplant, I'm back and forth between a 3S-GTE, 3S-GE BEAMS, and a simple replacement 5S-FE just because it's cheap, incredibly reliable, and gets great gas mileage.

First mod was sound insulation, using Frost King- no pictures of that. Second came the battery relocation, to try to help the poor balance of a 6gc. I built the box myself and used 4 gauge wire to run from the engine bay to the trunk. I used a draw catch to keep the lid closed, and strap hinges to make it open and close easily. All works well.

After that came reupholstering the front seats. I got the seat covers for $75 or $175 or something like that after shipping... I don't remember how much. They are from a member on 6gc who makes things like this. Fitment isn't 100% perfect, and I was intending to stay with black seats, but I couldn't argue with the price on these. And although they are a little loose, they are a 300% improvement over the factory seats with gaping holes. These seat covers will be swapped out later on down the road for black covers that fit better.

Found a good deal on some JDM tails, so I picked those up.

Then I pulled the motor with the help of two drunken friends. So basically, I pulled the motor and they watched. This is all the oil that the motor had left in it.

The next day, after the help left...

Then I picked up a DCW gauge pod, just because they're pretty hard to find and I got a good deal on it. I may stay naturally aspirated, which would completely defeat the point of the gauge pod. But I've got it just in case.

And that brings you guys up to date with where I'm at. The car sits in the yard behind my garage while I DD the IS 300.

As of right now, I am looking at buying another 5S-FE and using the car as a FWD beater car to make it through an Illinois winter, simply because I don't want to get the IS 300 out in snow and risk it. Anyone knows of a 5S-FE on the cheap, let me know Also, feel free to head over to 6gc and check out my progress thread there. It is likely to see updates more often than this thread, but I'll keep you guys as informed as possible. Thanks for reading

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Celica GT- BEAMS Swapped.
    1997 Supra- TT 6 speed, bone stock.
    2006 4Runner- DD.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Definitely keep us updated mang!
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Quote Originally Posted by MCcelica View Post
    Definitely keep us updated mang!
    Will do! And for what it's worth, the total cost of this project so far INCLUDING the cost of the car and title is $830. Who says you can't build a Celica on a budget?

2006 4Runner- DD.

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Glad you finally made it over here Daniel. I wouldn't say we tried to inspire you so much as we twisted your arm and said, "post on ctech NAO!" lol . Can't wait to see your progress on this car. Whether it's in the IS or the 6g, hope you come down to the Dragon with us next year
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by alltracNyx View Post
    Whether it's in the IS or the 6g, hope you come down to the Dragon with us next year

Werd. It makes IL-71 look like ....
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Haha I wouldn't say my arm was twisted... I wanted to go to the Dragon last year, but I was without a Celica and I had just spent $5,000 on the IS. I was feeling that expense. It hurt. But for what it's worth, I'm about $500 away from having the motor I want for this car. Let's just say I've got big plans for it and it's going to either be ridiculously easy to swap or else it's going to be a nightmare and I'm sending the car to Tweak. Either way, I hope to have the motor by this time next month and have the car running before Winter.

In other news, I bought a set of genuine TRD splitters for my black car at one point in time, and I just managed to pick up that exact same set and they're on the way for this car. Real Toyota parts FTW... even if I can't put them on until I get new fender protectors and get a set of sideskirts.

2006 4Runner- DD.

wow, lookin good man, keep up the good work
    R.I.P Cherry Bomb (1990 Celica ST)

They call me Hadoken because im DOWN RIGHT FIERCE

Update: It's been forever since I've done anything to the car. The last time I posted, I was just a few hundred away from buying a motor and getting this car back on the road. The day I received my paycheck that gave me enough money to buy the motor, I was let go at work. That was last September. So I've spent a few months scrambling around from job to job trying to find something that will pay the bills and I had to let the Celica sit. The good news is that while I couldn't afford to do anything to the car, I've officially decided which motor I will be swapping. It's not a motor that was ever available in a Celica, yet swapping it will be easy. It bolts right in. There is some slight wiring work, but it couldn't be any easier. I wish I could tell you all which motor I am going with, but I'm keeping it pretty quiet. 6gc.net has a group mentality that ONLY the 3S-GTE and 3S-GE Redtop can be swapped into a Celica, and everything else is impossible. Both of those swaps are nice, but both are somewhat expensive. My swap will be done start to finish for under $2,000. I can use my S54 transmission and factory exhaust. I'm not going for big power. I'm merely proving that other motors will fit in the car and you don't have to have $5,000 for a motor swap. When my swap is finished, I'll be 10 hp short of a BEAMS Redtop. The biggest perk is that this swap will cost only a few hundred more than a replacement used 5S-FE, yet I'm getting an extra ~50 hp.

The real point of this update is to let everyone know that I have started a new job that pays pretty well and I will be picking this thread up again. Within two months, I should have the motor and if the car isn't running, it will be close. The only progress I've made with this car since last September is that I gave my TRD rear splitters and JDM tails to the girlfriend for Christmas and that I sold the DCW gauge pod to bloodMoney. My plan right now is to get the car running, do the suspension work, get a radio in it, then pay off my IS 300. After the IS is paid off, I'll devote myself to finishing the body work. I'm torn between leaving the car the color that it is now or getting it painted black. The guys on 6gc all vote to leave it this color because apparently it's such a 'rare' color. However, it's not a color that I've ever loved. Any input?

2006 4Runner- DD.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Your car, so I would say go with black. I do like that color though............

So, A series motor? Had to take a guess.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Daniel lives! Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see what you do!
    ~alltracNyx

Nope, not an A series. Good guess though. The motor I'm going with will bolt in using the motor mounts I already have, so no need for an A series motor mount.

Yes, I am still alive! I've just been working on the girl's Celica because it already runs and leaving mine alone. I've just added more sound insulation but otherwise I've just taken parts off.

2006 4Runner- DD.

bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

I still can't wait to see this Daniel. I've got some ideas myself, but there's no job to back it up with....

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

You guys get an update before 6gc.net. The engine will be here next Wednesday. Chris, I'm going to order everything else to finish the swap (clutch, axles, etc.) then buy a pair of doors then I'll be giving you a call.

2006 4Runner- DD.

lulz

Just let me know and I'll set a weekend aside to do w3rk

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

If it's a weekend, I'll be there to help too!
    ~alltracNyx

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Woot! Get 'er done.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Thanks guys. It'll have to be a weekend because Sundays are my only day off. I can take Saturdays off but I'd rather not. I've got the kind of boss that likes to fire you if you ask off. I'm off at 5 though, and I would like to have all the wiring done soon. That way, we would only have to put the clutch and tranny on, put the axles on, and drop it in the bay. It'll be a few weeks though, so I can find a good paif of doors. Gotta give cookies to anyone willing to help with a swap.

2006 4Runner- DD.

Like I said, just let me know.

I like cookies

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Looking good man,keep us updated!!
    I like the car color,but if you could paint it black I would go for it!

CAR Magazine January 1988 - "The celica happens to be about the best handling FWD car you can buy!"

Update: The motor has arrived.

It's a 3S-GE Gretytop from a Caldina. Essentially the same thing as the Redtop, just 10 hp less and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. For the life of me, I can't figure out why nobody has swapped one into a Celica yet. It bolts right in, and the swap process is exactly the same as the Redtop swap. The Redtop will cost $2,000 on Ebay for a cheap one in decent condition, and I only paid $1,250. Here's the basic condition the motor is in:

Factory header.

Cut alternator plug... Lame.

Can't check my oil? Denied!

Melted plug- looks like I'll be trying to find a new one. Right after I figure out what this plug is even for.

The throttle body seriously needs to be cleaned.

Slight oil leak- I'm debating whether I want to buy a new gasket or just let it leak. Sourcing parts for the Greytop isn't proving to be easy.

The clutch should be in very soon, and I'm going on a parts ordering binge today. The biggest problems I foresee for this swap are the missing fusebox from my wiring harness. The missing fusebox itself doesn't concern me. I just can't figure out where on the wiring harness that it would even go. Nothing is cut from the harness and there really isn't anywhere for it to go. So I'll need to figure that out, but I'll be getting outside and getting some work done today. I'll be pulling the AWD transaxle off and pulling the flywheel out to get it resurfaced, cleaning the throttle body, and checking the motor out, top to bottom. I'll post again as soon as I have another update.

2006 4Runner- DD.

Looks good buddy

Do you have an idea of when you're going to want to get this done?

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Small update, but progress nonetheless. The automatic AWD transmission is off the Greytop, awaiting a new clutch which should be here soon. The melted plug, as I thought, is definitely for the igniter. I can just go grab one from a Camry in a junkyard. Easy. The biggest problem right now is a pretty big one. I'm not in over my head yet, but I get the feeling that I'll be pulling some hair out before the end of this swap. The issue is that when I pulled the 5S from the bay, I had to pull a section of the fusebox with it. The Greytop, it seems, has that bit of fusebox on a different wiring harness. So I'm going to have to figure some wiring out in order to make anything work.

Chris, I would love to see it in and started within the next 30 days, but I know that's a zealous goal. I did order all the parts I need today, excluding hoses. Oddly, those are the bits I found to be too expensive. Lol. I'll order those sometime closer to the completion of the swap. I'll have to figure this wiring out then I'll start to get everything else under control. Hopefully I'll be getting the S54 bolted to the Greytop by the end of this week.

2006 4Runner- DD.

Change of plans- got a steal on a Redtop BEAMS and I've decided to drop that in my car instead of the Greytop. However, the Greytop swap will proceed at planned, but in the girlfriend's Celica. We're going to have mr220v make a wiring harness for that. I just picked up a lightweight flywheel for the Redtop, against my will, but I had to have a flywheel anyway. All I have to get now is a disc for the clutch and hoses and this car will be ready to swap.

Twin BEAMS.

2006 4Runner- DD.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Nice. Like the motor choice. I have been looking at that for my corolla since the beams also came in a RWD configuration.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

I believe the grey top also came in the Rav4 as well... thats my choice for engine swap too hahaha, at least now I know to look forward to the wiring woes haha.

Thread Information