CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default project: I dont have a name for her yet - ST165

Since Ive decided to keep this one as a personal project and not a "flipper" I think its appropriate that I start a build thread here for this car. In case you missed my introduction thread here let me reintroduce the car:

1988 ST165 with 220K miles (yes, thats right, almost to the Moon), White on Blue, pretty much bone stock.

Im hoping that by having a build thread it will force me to better document its progress. I will post some more pics soon but this is a quick rundown of whats been done so far, followed by what I have planned.

Done:
    • replaced a stuck TPS, fixed timing
    • changed plugs to heat range 6
    • shimmed the wastegate to around 10lbs
    • added a knockoff SSQV on a T-hose
    • installed some Enkie RF-1A wheels with Falken Zeix ZE512's
    • shortened shifter
    • straight intake/battery relocation underway

To do list:
    • find and install ST185 front brakes
    • install 3" downpipe and build custom mid/rear pipes
    • powdercoat wheels semi gloss black (or maybe gunmetal)
    • solve oil leak (pretty sure its the turbo return line)
    • install lowering springs
    • smoke lenses
    • upgrade lighting

stay tuned, more pics to come soon!

planning on doing anything to the engine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91T MR2 830whp 635wtq
    92 Celica WIP

Internally? probably not. I did a compression test on it and its a nice 172-175 across the board. Once I get the oil leak fixed (its not horrible, but its persistent) I plan to switch to synthetic oil and add a nice larger aftermarket oil cooler and perhaps a large remote filter, as I did on my supra.

I will probably upgrade the turbo to either a 20b or at least a 57 trim 26. Im no longer one of those "quest for speed" guys. I like to have a good solid runner that is just above average on the street but is reliable for everyday use.

For me this car will always be a compromise between performance and efficiency/reliability, and between handling and comfort. "Middle of the road" is my motto

So, I still need to get a decent day to go do a little photoshoot, but for now, this will show you want she looks like as of today:

This is the "panda" color change Im considering for the car:
    (sorry about my crappy photoshop skills)

Today:

I finished off my Intake mod and battery relocate enough to drive it. I still need to take it all back apart and do some clean up in that area, and make a mount to lock the AFM down. I then plan to build a cold air box to partition it off in. I also plan to make a custom remote battery jumper cable location so I can seal off the battery in the hatch semi-permanently in a vented box. That way if I ever need a jump I will have something resembling battery posts under the hood to attach to.

Here is what it looks like right now:

My Supra TT fuel pump showed up late today so I quickly installed that. While doing so I discovered my fuel return line going into the tank was in fact completely clogged. I have no idea how I wasnt running pig rich...maybe the crappy pump? no wonder it was experiencing thermal shut downs. I get the feeling this car might have sat somewhere for a while.

While doing the battery relocate I discovered also that one of my rear speaker was actually full of water! lol. So I drained that, changed out the speaker and will have to see if I can figure out where the leak is/was. The hatch seal looks ok, so Im going to guess and say the rear quarter window?

And finally:
    This sweet tubular manifold showed up today on the UPS truck:

The problem is, I didnt order, nor do I want, a tubular manifold! I was expecting a downpipe to delete the cat. I need to get up in there and track down my oil leak so that will have to wait until I have a replacement DP here.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Member usp45 will become famous soon enough usp45's Avatar

mmmmmm I love white 4th gens. Nice trac, it's good to see it in good hands.

Member rev_head will become famous soon enough

nice. i urge yo to please keep it white. no panda scheme

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well today was alot of work for very little reward. I pulled the fuel injectors out and ran them through my "Super Duper Injector Cleaning Machine"...which consists of an old fuel pump/pressure regulator, some hoses, a coffee can, a salsa jar and some electricals...

Here it is in action on the injectors from my MR2:

I say very little reward because all of the injectors had good flow and spray patterns already, but this gave me peace of mind. Now I know that I shouldnt have any lean cylinders, and I was able to clean and inspect the last of the stock fuel system that I havent already taken apart. Im still kind of amazed this car has 220K miles on it.

I feel like its all ready for 13-15lbs of boost once I get the exhaust system taken care of. My replacement DP was shipped today. I should see it by the middle of next week.

While I was "in there" I also cleaned (and tested in my injector rig) a completely clogged cold start injector, and got a nice spray pattern out of it. I then cleaned the TB and replaced the IACV hose. When I went to start it, I thought I screwed something up because it wouldnt idle...until I found the vacuum line on the idle up controller had somehow gotten pulled off.

The extra time that took to find made me too late to pick of beer from the little country store...so I drove 30 miles into town in an untested rig, lol. The things we do for beer on a Friday night.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

as promised, some new pics of the car as she sits:

― Clyde DeSouza,

look great. nice to see a clean all trac
    I need to give mine a good clean as well. they get dirty so fast parked at construction site
    \

I thought I would force myself to update this but again Ive been lazy.

I had a both of the CV boots on the passenger front go bad so yesterday I replaced that axle with a reman'd unit. Since I drained the fluids I went ahead and switched to Redline MTL (MT-90). It didnt improve my crunchy second gear but I didnt really expect it to.

Today I built my Radio Shack Blackbox FCD. . I rigged up a way to use my boost gauge and the pressure regulator on my air compressor to dial it in to 15lbs. After that I hooked up my manual boost controller and set about adjusting it. Ive discovered that Im overboosting 1-2 lbs before the wastegate opens and the pressure settles down. That left me only able to adjust up to about 12lbs sustained. Thats fine as that was my goal for high boost setting anyway on this turbo.

I havent noticed any knock at that setting on 93pump, but I have been set at 9° base timing for safety during some of my tuning and fuel system repairs/mods. I think Im going to put that back to factory 10° and put in the BKP7's I bought a while back.

Anyone see any fault in this tuning so far? The car is pulling hard and feels pretty good right now. My only complaint is a partial throttle miss only in the upper gears under heavy load (like 3/4 throttle up hill as she builds boost, she stumbles a little).

The only other thing Ive done recently is cut out the spare tire hold down and pound the tire well flat in prep for my sub enclosure. I will be installing a single 10" and molding that together in fiberglass with a cover for my battery. Gonna need a little more cash before I start that.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Hmm, funny about where you think the source of your oil leak is, because I'm pretty sure my 165 is leaking oil from the feed/return at the turbo. It's getting onto the exhaust and making a bit of smoke which is more smelly and annoying than anything else as it's still fairly minor. Hard to be sure if that's the actual source of the oil with how darn cramped it is in there, and I'm not at all looking forward to getting at that.

I assume you're waiting to get the downpipe in and take care of all that at once? Your car is looking good and makes me feel a bit guilty that the Supra is taking all of my labor time and funds right now while the 165 gets beat on as a daily
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Well actually, Im a moron and ordered an ST185 DP and discovered it wouldnt work...DUH! So thats on the back burner. I did, however, get in there and remove the cat to gut it and fix my oil leak. It was the feed line in fact.

It looked like someone cross threaded one of the two bolts that join the line in the middle. So they slapped on a bunch of FIPG and a bunch of washers on the crossed bolt...it also looked like they used a piece of Fruit Loops box as the gasket. Grrrrrr

I removed all that crap, retapped the holes, made a proper gasket (I make my own most of the time, but use real material, not cereal boxes, lol), and got it all buttoned up. No more leaking, no more smoking at stop lights.

P.S. T-Spoon I bet we know some of the same people from Houston and now in Seattle if you are in the celica/supra scene. Do you know Alex? had a 6th gen in Houston? Im better known as theWeezL down there.
    Last edited by Facime; 09-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Alex Ngo? Blue 6g coupe?
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

yeah thats him.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Heh, funny.. small world. He's my brother in law. That 6gen was mine when I joined the Celica online world and it was named T-spoon, hence my userID. I sold him the 6g when I bought my Supra. That 6g.. sadly.. is now scrap metal and he drives a G35.
    –verb (used with object)

I new that car was named T-Spoon and when I saw you here and that you had a supra I thought maybe YOU were Alex, until I saw your picture. I knew he bought a G35, in fact that was the last thing I heard from him. He was one of the guys along with Steven Maaland and Brandon...(foreget his last name, big kid, blew up several supras) that I used to meet up with out on Westheimer or at the Jamba Juice meets. I had my 89 supra known as Lucy (Lucifer) back then.

Sure its a small world, but the toyota fanatic community is even smaller. WE tend to pop up again and again, lol. If you talk to Alex tell him Weez said Hi!
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Yeah, I didn't get together with car people all that often down there, partly because most of it happened on the north side and we lived closer to Pearland. I'll tell Alex you found a good car site, sure beats Houstonimports

Anyway, I guess your thread has been derailed enough at this point.. although I suppose you started it so it's ok
    –verb (used with object)

its ok, there was nothing going on in here anyway. No matter how much i try, I am just not good at documenting what I do day to day.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Since I had enough scraps of leather left over from previous projects I decided to go ahead and re-wrap my steering wheel. I didnt have scraps large enough to do a stock 2 piece so I decided to do a 4 piece design. I also chose to do an aftermarket style cross stitch with blue thread. Here is the result:

Before:

After:

Stitching details:

P.S. Im looking for a gray or black Turbo horn button and cruise control switch setup if anyone was one for sale.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Gorgeous work on that steering wheel!!!!

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

well...ill tell u what u drive that beast to my house ill let u switch the cruise switch for free. Mines black in my spare car. Its the same set up.

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

187, I dont get to pdx that often but I'll let you knw the next time Im headed up that way and take you up on that!
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Wow, great work on the steering wheel!! I've got to assume you've done that before? Mind giving us a little how-to? Or maybe a bit tricky for a first timer?
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Ask and you shall recieve!
    http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49857

(actually I posted that yesterday, you just missed it )
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

where in Oregon do u reside in

OREGON TOYOTA OWNERS CLUB LEADING MEMBER

Thread Information