CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ST205 WRC "White Walker"

Well I haven't been very active on CelicaTech in the past as I used to hang out at 6GC.net all the time back when my baby was a ST204 ('95 GT-S). For the past almost 18 months I don't have much love for my 204 (it has simply become my daily driver) as I have imported a ST205 from Zen Autoworks.

Since that time I don't find myself over at 6GC.net very often. I tend to be lurking on the UK GT-FOUR forums and not really active on any of them as they are overseas.

I have decided that I need to pick one forum to be active in and post pictures of my projects. Since importing my GT-FOUR I have become friends with ChrisD and he lives really close to me here in Calgary, AB, Canada, I figure CelicaTech is probably the best forum for me to be active on since I have met some great people off this forum and I do have a true passion for all generations. Did I mention I also own a first generation, it's a '77 RA29. That will eventually have it's own project thread posted on here.

Now that the introductions are over, let me introduce my ST205. It's ST205-0001183.

I imported the car in March of 2009 (February 1994 build). When it arrived in Canada it had just over 61,000 kilometers (approximately 40,000 miles) on the odometer. It arrived amazingly clean as if it just came of the showroom floor. It is a WRC model and arrived completely stock aside from the 17" Versus Sesto Turismo Rims. I like to call it my stripped down rally version of the car as it is a non sunroof model and non-ABS (very rare) from the factory.

A few pictures from Japan!

Here are a few pictures from Calgary after it landed in spring 2009!

Now that the introductions are over, onto the modifications. Since owning my ST205 WRC I have installed a SARD intake, but only had it installed for a short period of time and have since taken it off and gone back to the stock intake. This engine runs so hot, that I figured I wasn't gaining anything from the open intake. I am in the process of making a custom intake and will add pictures when completed.

As of August 2010 I am at 67,000 kilometers, so in a year and a half I have only put on about 6,000 kilometers. This car is my garage queen as it is too nice to drive in the winter conditions around here, as much fun as that would be. They use rocks on the road not sand, so can't bring myself to drive it half of the year.

As for now I have added in a boost gauge and EGT, but they are temporarily installed and not picture worthy. I will eventually get them installed in pods and post pictures. I have also changed out the factory downpipe and replaced it with a 3" JP Autoworks divorced downpipe. I have also installed a TRD quick shifter kit.

As for non performance modifications:
    I have added a radiator cooling plate

I have added a WRC rain deflector plate to the large vent hole in the hood.

I have added the late spec JDM tails, GT4 WRC license plate, and clear third brake light.

I have added clear front turns and side markers.

I have added a Honda S2000 antenna (Honda p/n 39151-S2H-E01) by replacing the antenna base with a non-electric 7th gen celica base (p/n 86309-20300).

Well thats about all I have to post for now, but will add to this thread as I make modifications to the car. Thanks for checking it out.
    Last edited by WALKER; 09-03-2010 at 10:06 PM.
    David Walker
    ------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sexy!!! I want your ATW

nice pickup man.

91T MR2 830whp 635wtq
    92 Celica WIP

It has been far too long since I have posted anything in this thread. I guess that's what happens when you have an 18 month old and work way too many hours at work. It has been a pretty hectic last year with minimal time for working on my celicas. Anyways, since this is my garage queen, she has been truly living up to her name. I have driven it only 100 km (60 miles for my friends south of the border!) since October 2010! The spring here was absolutely awful with snow and rain constantly ruining weekends; so the first time I took my 205 out of the garage for a cruise wasn't until June. Of course the second time I took the car out my clutch was slipping really bad and gave off a lovely smell! So there my car sat for the last month in desparate need of repair.

With no time for me to work on my car and Ogopogo meet upcoming in less than 2 weeks, I decided to take my car into a shop and let someone else do the work for me. So at this moment the car is up on a hoist in the shop with the engine and transmission pulled.

I decided that I might as well do all the maintainence on it while the engine is pulled, so I'm getting all the seals, gaskets, belts, etc. replaced while the engine is out.

Of course the whole reason it is in the shop is to put in my new clutch and flywheel. I'm having a clutch and lightweight flywheel from Competition Clutch installed.

The clutch is a Stage 4 - Strip Series 1620 Clutch Kit. The 1620 Series kit includes a performance pressure plate, a six puck high torque sprung disc with Ceramic buttons. According to competition clutch, this assembly, available with a double spring, six rivet carriage is good for ease of gear transition with higher horsepower. This disc complimented by a performance pressure plate provides 250% increase in torque capacity. As for the flywheel, it is a lightweight steel flywheel that weighs approximately 12 lbs.

At the same time I decided to install some HKS 256 duration cams with 9mm lift along with some ATS Racing adjustable cam gears.
    Last edited by WALKER; 08-04-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added Picture.
    David Walker
    ------------------

So car is back at home in the garage. Only drove it a few miles from the shop to my house and didn't want to drive it too hard. Stalled it out the 1st time trying to back up at the shop. Then stalled twice trying to get going forward. Definitely needed to get the feel for the Stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel, the latter is what I am blaming it on. After that though it felt completely fine and did not have issues with the clutch. I am actually shocked that it isn't a harsher engagement on the clutch. I truthfully can't notice a huge difference from stock.

The HKS 256 cams definitely feel like they have added more mid to top end torque. The beast feels like it pulls very hard right to the red line. I am only running around 8-9psi boost right now, so I think I will really see the improvement when I turn up the boost closer to 15psi.

Anyways, those are my initial impressions. I am going to take the car out more tonight to get some more miles put on it and see what I think of it. Will update more later.
    David Walker
    ------------------

I'm really starting to hate Canadians.

Actually I'm really starting to hate our import rules in the US.

Lucky bastards. Me so jealous!!!!!

Awesome car!! Vehicle of my dreams!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Glad to read it's running again.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Good to hear it's together in time for Ogopogo!

On the 256's, are your cam gears adjusted? Or just dropped in by the shop? Even if we did a basic degree on them I'm sure you'd pick up a lot.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Good to hear it's together in time for Ogopogo!

On the 256's, are your cam gears adjusted? Or just dropped in by the shop? Even if we did a basic degree on them I'm sure you'd pick up a lot.
    I had them simply install them zeroed out. I think a basic degree would definitely help. Perhaps if you have time some evening before the meet we can try fooling around a bit.
    David Walker
    ------------------

So I put on just over 300km this weekend after getting the car back from Vex Performance. Not a single drop of fluid on my garage floor or anywhere to be seen. I am very happy with the feel of the new clutch / flywheel. Amazing enough it isn't that tough to drive. It doesn't feel all that much different than stock now that I am used to it. The clutch is not as agressive as I thought it would be of an engagement.

The cams definitely have added to the top end. It continues to make power and pull hard all the way to redline (and beyond I would image). Next plan is to get my wideband and boost controller installed, hopefully this week before Ogopogo.
    David Walker
    ------------------

So last night I installed my SARD Intake (again)...I really like the sound of the stock BPV when it goes off into the metal SARD intake piping. So thought I would put it back on for the Run of the Ogopogo. Here is a picture of the SARD intake.

I also installed my triple RT-Performance gauge cluster on the dash. Very impressed with the look of it.

Last edited by WALKER; 08-12-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    David Walker
    ------------------

She's looking really good. Congratulations !!

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

where did you get this WRC rain deflector plate :O

Quote Originally Posted by ilmatic View Post
    where did you get this WRC rain deflector plate :O
    I purchased the rain deflector on 6gc.net.

Here are a couple new pictures that I took on the Ogopogo 2011 cruise.

David Walker
    ------------------

Updates?
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by allTRACway View Post
    Updates?
    No updates. Unfortunately I didn't drive it, or even look at it this winter. I pulled it out of the garage and got it all cleaned up last weekend...I sure did miss the girl! Now that it is out of the garage and my parts have found, there will be changes coming over the next couple months.
    David Walker
    ------------------

Well it's about time I posted an update of my project. Over the past month I have been working on big changes for my car.

I pulled my bumper off and started tearing parts off the car.

I removed the WTA intercooler system to install a FMIC. I originally tried to install a large Treadstone TR10 intercooler, but ran into many spacing and sizing issues. So I decided to pick up a much smaller intercooler to simply get the car back together and on the road. I will install the TR10 this winter as I believe I will need that size for my ultimate power goals, but for now the small one will get me through the summer with limited boost. Removing all the WTA components was not a fun task, but it sure did remove a lot of weight.

So once I finally got all that removed I started looking and decided that I should pull the ugly old brown radiator out of my car. So out came the radiator and a new Mishimoto was ordered. With the radiator out and lots of space in the engine bay I decided this would be the best time to pull out my turbo and my JP Autoworks downpipe.

So with all that removed I had a bunch of space in my engine bay to work!

Now the install began. I installed my new Precision 5857 turbo and downpipe. That went in smoothly with no fitment issues at all.

Next was the radiator install, but that would not fit with the stock fans. So I had to order some new slim fans. I ordered two SPAL 12" puller fans and they were a perfect fit with the custom brackets I purchased from them. With them installed the radiator fit in with the new turbo.

Next up was the intercooler. The small one (22" x 6" x 2.5" core) was simply to bolt on with some brackets mounted to the crash bar. The challenge is the intercooler piping. I ended up drilling a hole to run the intercooler piping through on the one side.

The other side should be easy to get around as I have removed all the stock air box components. Where I am still struggling now is trying to fit the piping from the turbo past the thick radiator and downpipe as there is very little room in my engine bay. I hope to have that all figured out this week.

The final pieces will be to get my interior all back together.

I ordered some Prosport EVO series gauges (water temp, oil pressure, EGT, wideband) that I need to get installed. I also need to get my Gizzmo electronic boost controller installed.

I am also going to be installing my PowerFC at this time as it should eliminate any errors I would have from removing the WTA intercooler system. It was made for the MR2, so it didn't have the WTA features. By installing this now I won't have to bridge the intercooler level sensor or solder in some resistors to the water pump harness.

Anyways, that is where I am now. I hope to have some new pictures on the weekend of the finished product.
    David Walker
    ------------------

Senior Member underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough underscore is a jewel in the rough
    underscore has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! underscore has donated to the forums!

Beautiful car! I'd love to own a white WRC one day. What made you decide to remove the WTA? And are you selling any of it?
    1992 GT-S // 1991 GTFour RC // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I love those rims.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Beautiful car! I'd love to own a white WRC one day. What made you decide to remove the WTA? And are you selling any of it?
    I personally feel that the intercooler gets heat soaked after a bunch of spirited runs. The 3S-GTE engine runs so hot that everything under the hood is way to hot to touch. I agree that WTA is better than an ATA from heat transfer principles, but I just have a tough time believing it is better cooling when it is so hot. At this point I am not planning on selling my WTA components, however that may change a bit later in the summer if I am happy with the FMIC.

Another big reason I went to a FMIC is because I am installing my MR2 PowerFC and didn't want to have to do any wiring on the intercooler pump to keep it running all the time. With the system removed it will also allow me to easily change spark plugs and have access to the engine.

I hope to some day be running high horsepower numbers, at which point I feel I will be exceeding the limitations of the stock WTA system anyways.
    David Walker
    ------------------

I thought I would give a quick update. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now. I have moved cities and started a new job over the past couple months, so I have been really busy with that. I did get my work done though and am running a Precision 5857 on my 205. I am only running 7psi boost right now until I have time to properly tune it. I must say that when the turbo kicks in you sure feel it. I can only imagine what this turbo would be like between 15-20psi. At first it somewhat disappointed me as it has made the car not really all that fun on the street. With the bigger turbo and a FMIC, you can feel the lag / shift in spool point from the 20b and WTA. It fully spools at about 4500rpm, but holds strong to 7000+ rpm. It feels like it has so much left to it after that. It has just taken some getting used to and I think it will be pretty good when I turn up the boost. This past week I installed my PowerFC, so once I start fooling around with that I will be able to optimize it a bit better. I used a Gen3 MR2 PowerFC (brand new) and it went straight in and has worked with no problems. It cleared my check engine light (code 54 - removed WTA), so it feels nice driving around with no engine light on.

Anyways, I will see a few of you next weekend at Ogopogo (I will be making the long drive out to the meet) so you can see the car. Others I will post more pictures after the meet of what I have done.
    David Walker
    ------------------

Well it looks like it has been a full year since I have posted an update. Over the past year I haven't really done anything with my car. It has sat parked in my garage and only been driven about 100 kilometers in that time. Over the past week though I have been busy cleaning up a few things and getting it ready for Ogopogo.

It has unfortunately been neglected of getting a lot of love lately as I have been spending my garage time on my new project that I bought this spring. I picked up a Canadian ST185 that I'm planning to make my daily driver (will setup a new project thread for it on here someday). It needed a fair bit of work so with the limited time I've had in the garage around work and landscaping the yard in my new house it has had it and the ST205 has been neglected.

Having spent this past week driving the ST205 at 15psi on the Precision 5857, I'm not sure how I let her sit parked for so long! 3000+ kilometers of cruising to and from Ogopogo next week here I come!

I promise to post pictures and keep my thread more active!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    David Walker
    ------------------

Here is a picture of the garage!

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375667110719.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	3327

Did I mention I have a lift?

Last edited by WALKER; 08-05-2013 at 02:55 AM.
    David Walker
    ------------------

You are still alive?

Have fun at Ogopogo!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

So today I got my projectors installed. They sure do look nice. I was able to do it all plug and play with harnesses so no cutting required. I don't have my bumper on yet, so no pictures to show.

I also removed the fog light openings in the grill and replaced them with new filler pieces that delete the fog light holes. The fog lights wouldn't fit anymore with the FMIC. Perhaps down the road I will look for some slim fogs to go back in. For now though I like the look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1375758831405.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	3328

When I get the bumper back on I will post more pictures of the finished product. Right now I'm contemplating removing the high beams leaving some nice big holes to help cool the engine bay.

David Walker
    ------------------

Thread Information