CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default more power for the ST185?

So I have a few questions. I want some more juice for my alltrac. What would be the best way to go? I have about 1500 to spend. I was browsing ebay and the chrome headers and intercooler caught my attention. They're both for the car, and will run me 100bucks each. Does any one have any input on these products? My questions come down to: what kind of turbo for my budget, any reccomendations on headers and intercoolers, are the ebay ones good? Or, should I just get a boost controller and pump some more out of the stock turbo? If so, where could I end up with the correct tuning and what not? (I am planning to get a nicer intercooler as opposed to the stock one. That's a forsure thing) but as for what route I'm going to go for more power, that's a mystery. Remember, I'm on a budget my goals to be around 300 horses.
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

I'd suggest a browse though the Forced Induction forums before you start spending money.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

More info needed. Brand and type of headers and intercooler? Is intercooler a TMIC type or FMIC?

Notes: You get what you pay for.

I've seen alot of cheap Megan Headers selling on Ebay (For the Lancer Evo). Surprisingly they do give pretty good hp gains and flow fairly well. If you add more braces to support the weight of the turbo those headers will actually last and not crack. This is the one exception I've experienced.

SSAutoCRAP is usually cheap for a reason. Expect coating to flake and cracks to appear even if properly supported due to cheap and crappy welding.

As far as the intercooler goes... you can't get too much w/ a TMIC unless it's WTA. Go front mount to avoid high op temps.

I would look into suspension before turbo upgrades.With the car having better suspension will make the car more enjoyable and handle better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

91T MR2 830whp 635wtq
    92 Celica WIP

Way ahead of you skunkumz! I've got full ground control coilovers maxed out for a 3inch drop. with upgraded struts. The car handles beautifully. Only problem is I melted the tires and I also have a full rollcage welded in. With a 2inch solid steel strut bar in the trunk. Its not meant for the car, its just a piece of scaffolding from a construction site. It actually looks pretty nice welded into the body.

As for the intercooler, YES I am definately going FMIC because TMIC is right above the block and pulls way too much heat. Even with a scoop. FMIC is definately the way to go. I haven't looked into any brands yet, but once I do ill give you some links and maybe you could give me some input.

And I want to keep it air cooled, it just seems simpler since the turbo now is already air cooled. Unless if water cooled is better.

Chewabacha- are the megan headers a good buy for my situation? I don't want to get a full turbo kit because its so overpriced just because its in a package. I want to buy parts seperately.

Oh yeah, any suggestions on b.o.v's?
    ST165 with a 185 block and 205 head. TT supra fuel pump, garrett gt35r turbo, tial 38mm wg, HKS SSQV3 BOV, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Spec stage 2 clutch, MSD ignition, forged internals, ACL bearings, TRD suspension, full roll cage and a million other fun little things all wrapped up in one major headache

what do you guys think of this intercooler?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories

i know its universal, which is fine because i can run it however i want.

oil cooled turbo maybe?

Originally Posted by DudeMan
    I'm like the energizer bunny on crack
    Parting out my celica-click

CT20B, boost controller, fuel pump, intake, exhaust intercooler and enjoy your 280 horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku-sama View Post
    CT20B, boost controller, fuel pump, intake, exhaust intercooler and enjoy your 280 horses.
    Any suggestions on brands for those parts you listed? Also, did you check out the link for the FMIC I posted? I have an intake, and my exhaust consists of straight 3in from the headers back. Not cat, and an offroad cherry bomb and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku-sama View Post
    You only gain 39hp for all that??
    Unless the USDM version of a GT-Four is different HP than a JDM version.
    My st185 is stock JDM and has 241hp is the USDM version lower??

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Yes, supposibly the USDM has only 200 horses. But the way it pulls, I beg to differ lol. I want to get it dynoed, to see where I currently stand. And then another dyno after my mods to see how much of a gain I've gotten.

I've been looking up boost controllers a little bit and saw this nice HKS one. Although, I would prefer one with a knob that a could turn, to quickly adjust the boost. Anyways, here's the link for the HKS boost controller

http://www.importpartspro.com/hksevunboco.html

Go to your local hardware store and you can make a boost controller for around $14.00
    Google it ... I have the plans somewhere, maybe left in the back of the Supra, but it works !!

Others, Not you.

really? ill look into that for now. ifyou could post the plans, that would be greatly appreciated. i could see how it would only cost 14 bucks. because i was looking at the manual boost controllers, and all they seem to be is a knob inbetween two lines...

I found the link for what I printed out:
    http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=59089

Just remember that you will want an aftermarket boost gauge and possibly aftermarket BOV as well !!
    An air compressor works great for testing your boost release on the controller as long as your compressor is accurate.

Others, Not you.

i read the write up. its interesting, but not for my taste.i want something to control from inside the cabin. any suggestions on electronic boost controllers? ill spend up to 350...POSSIBLY 400.

I've heard of people tee'ing it off to their dash. Just longer piping but I think it might loose some accuracy. For $14 it couldn't hurt to try it LOL

Others, Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post

USDM is always gonna be lower due to the fuel being used and emmissions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku-sama
    CT20B, boost controller, fuel pump, intake, exhaust intercooler and enjoy your 280 horses
    Brands for those would be plenty really.

Pump-Walbro
    Intake-Ko Racing or your own custom
    Exhaust-Custom or HKS
    INtercooler-Could be a universal one

91T MR2 830whp 635wtq
    92 Celica WIP

go for the hks bov and electronic boost controllers.
    here a link www.yoparts.com

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Quote Originally Posted by ericfragola View Post
    I've got full ground control coilovers maxed out for a 3inch drop. with upgraded struts. ...just a piece of scaffolding from a construction site. It actually looks pretty nice welded into the body.

And I want to keep it air cooled, it just seems simpler since the turbo now is already air cooled. Unless if water cooled is better.
    you have much to learn. you do realize that coilovers are meant to weight balance a car. not "civic" slam it?

upgraded struts, do explain.

scaffolding? you realize that is not an approved material for any form of racing and that it's galvanized steel? i feel sorry for the guy that welded that. lung desease in the future!

you welded the pipe into the body? i hope not. a pic is worth 1000 words though.

you have huge amounts of research to do before you decide on an intercooler. nobody can tell you what is better but everyone can point you in the right direction for your driving.

and with the tire melting...i'll assume you never got an alignment done?

(although this may sound like i'm being a dick, please don't look at it that way)

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

read this
    http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=182

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Mafix- not sure on the brand of struts, since they're extremely muddy right now. But I will findout for you. The coilovers in the front are maxed out, but not in the back. For a slight raked look. But the suspensions extremely solid. And no you're not coming off as a dick. Its fine. The strut bars actually welded into my celica. Ill post pics of it later. And its made of steel. It reduced my body sway dramatically. I own an 86 celica and an 88 alltrac. I'm contemplating putting a strut bar into the alltrac. Not sure if it needs it though. Since the guy who owned the car before me paid to get a rollcage put in, and the rollcage bars coming from the trunk to the roof, are parallel to the top of the strut area. So its welded to that. But as I said, I will post pics later. And the melted tires were from the 24hourlemonsrace, I just actually replaced all 4. And believe me, I'm not a big fan of hondas. Especially civics. So I would never "civic" slam it. The coils are maxed out, but I only has a slight bit of camber. I didn't dramatically drop the car.

As for the intercooler. That car is a DD and weekend racer. Did you checkout the link I posted?

Mannygtfour- I am going to go with hks boost controller. And most likely the bov as well.

Jdm skunkumz- thanks for the brand names. The intakes my own custom with a K&N cone filter on the end, the exhaust is straight pipe (no cats or mufflers) and it sounds like a beast. I start it up and everyones like wtf?! bov-I will go with HKS, as well as the boost controller. And the intercooler will be a universal FMIC.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco BlueDragon will become famous soon enough BlueDragon's Avatar

Images

Wow still everyone perpetuates the BS myth about SSAC making a worthless header that falls apart after 2 days, even when they have never even seen one other than an e-bay pic.
    I have had mine 2 years, no flaking no cracking no nothing, I re-installed the stock turbo supports and made sure they were holding the weight of the turbo and when you use an aftermarket DP it removes A-LOT of weight from the turbo assembly, all I would suggest is upgrade all your exhaust at once and make sure its supported and there is nothing wrong with SSAC I have full 3 inch and header from them, VERY Happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    Wow still everyone perpetuates the BS myth about SSAC making a worthless header that falls apart after 2 days, even when they have never even seen one other than an e-bay pic.
    I have had mine 2 years, no flaking no cracking no nothing, I re-installed the stock turbo supports and made sure they were holding the weight of the turbo and when you use an aftermarket DP it removes A-LOT of weight from the turbo assembly, all I would suggest is upgrade all your exhaust at once and make sure its supported and there is nothing wrong with SSAC I have full 3 inch and header from them, VERY Happy with it.
    Hmm...so SSAC is the ebay brand that sells the chrome headers for somethin cheap like 100bucks, correct? I saw those one day and thought I might try them. But as we all know, some people say they're crap.

another ebay link. This is an awesome looking pair of headers for 200 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-94...#ht_2668wt_802

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
    Pics please

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix is a glorious beacon of light Mafix's Avatar
    Mafix has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

yep that would be the ebay crap

I will miss you, my friend.
    371whp, 355 ft/lbs w/ 46mm pre-turbo restrictor.
    2400lbs w/ 10.5 slicks on all 4 corners.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post
    FYI, some info

JDM ST185 = 225hp
    JDM ST185 RC/CS/GrpA = 235hp
    USDM ST185 = 200hp
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Thread Information