CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hmm, the shippable part is the issue.. mostly need large pieces. I COULD use a stock steering wheel (just the wheel itself, my center portion is just fine) if it's in good shape. Burgundy would match, but black would look fine too. I could use a burgundy door lock bezel (passenger side if they're different, can't recall ATM). Only other thing I can think of would be the side view mirror housing for passenger side but I'd rather not deal with painting right now so only if it were silver.

Don't go to much trouble, but if you do get any of that it's appreciated
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Well.. finally progress today, I ordered the engine. I'm trying to acquire a hoist this week and if successful and weather cooperates I'll be pulling the 7M out. It's been totally ready to come out, I just haven't had a hoist to do it. Once the 2J arrives it will go on the stand, lose the stuff it doesn't need (stock twins) and I'll be putting the mid/rear sump oil pan on and most likely do water pump, seals, tbelt etc. I'll be doing it in stages for funds reasons, so after all the engine prep and refreshing is done I can get the bellhousing, clutch and flywheel setup to mate it to my R154, send the harnesses out to Tweak, and get a new IC setup.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈræʃənlˌaɪz, ˈræʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

YES 2jz ftw!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Yep! Should be on the truck to me tomorrow. Unfortunately, though we had great weather this weekend, I couldn't get the 7M out because I couldn't get a hoist. I have had three craigslist people agree to a transaction and then cease communication, and don't have a vehicle fit for just going to harbor freight or something and buying one (not to mention they're bloody expensive new). Shipping a hoist is so ridiculously expensive as to be not worth it too. Good times, but I'll figure it out.
    –verb (used with object)

try a rental yard, many have foldable hoists for rent and I believe you can also get them delivered (depending on the shop). I rented one once that I managed to fit in the trunk of my dads LeSabre. With seats down you should be able to transport in the alltrac, or you can rent a pickup by the hour from Home depot.

EDIT:
    Im headed to Seattle tomorrow to buy a transmission and have a nice hoist I can break down to fit in the 'sploder. You could borrow it (I dont expect to need it anytime soon) but you would need to find a way to get it back to me at some point. Call me before 10AM tomorrow morning if you want me to load it up.
    541-272-1970
    Last edited by Facime; 03-21-2011 at 05:18 AM.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Thanks again for going out of your way to loan your hoist, Facime. It'll be a big help
    –verb (used with object)

no worries.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

The 2jzgte just arrived and is tucked away safely in my "garage". Now if I can get the 7M out tomorrow, I'll then get the wiring harness of the 2J and send it with the 7M harness to Tweak Pics later tonight of the new motor
    –verb (used with object)

Oopse, I forgot to resize them before uploading...

–verb (used with object)

So alright, the weather today cooperated. Joey came up and we got it done! When I say we, I mean Joey while I pretty much fetched tools

I didn't take any pics of the process leading up to pulling the motor, but I can tell you it was a bit of a pain because of the slope and my floor jack being a bit small and pathetic compared to the um, somewhat weighty MKIII.

There it is. We actually scratched our heads for a while at this point trying to figure out how to push all that weight uphill, but finally managed it.

Joey, looking extremely professional.. and also me, for some reason.

Cool, empty. Looks like it could use a little cleaning, but more or less ready to receive the other motor.

Umm, yep, another picture of the motor hanging there while we pondered the best way to move it where we wanted. Did I mention the 7m+tranny are pretty heavy, and it was uphill?

Yes.. obligatory "Oh look, I'm standing where the engine would be, except the engine isn't here, and it's very awesome!"
    Last edited by T-spoon; 04-11-2011 at 04:24 AM.
    –verb (used with object)

sweet! progress is good. Hoist seemed to do the trick.

So was that motor blown or what are your plans for it?
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Yep, the hoist worked great, especially the load leveler, I have a feeling that would have been a lot worse without it. The motor has one big problem. Cylinder 3 has 90psi, the rest are like 175. Aside from that it's good, arp headstuds and MHG, new exhaust cam (because I stupidly broke the original), adjustable cam gears. The shortblock was actually bought new from Toyota by a previous owner and probably had less than 30k on it. I don't really know what to do with it, but figured I'd try to get a few bucks for it if anyone wanted it to rebuild.
    –verb (used with object)

Good work yoz!

2JZ thats gonna be sweet.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

What do you want for the motor? I dont have anything to put it in at the moment but there are some cheap 1GCb's in the NW for sale right now. Or maybe just rebuid it for fun I dont know. If the price was right I might be able to come pick up the motor and the hoist all at once...just a thought.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Oh, well, um... $100? Hey, you could also take the Aristo auto tranny from the 2J for another $100 if you wanted it (lord knows what you'd want it for, lol). There's no turbo for the 7M btw since I'll be using it on the 2J, but it does have an aftermarket manifold.
    –verb (used with object)

deal on the motor (dont need the trans). I'll plan on coming to get it when you are done with the hoist then.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Sounds good to me
    –verb (used with object)

Got some more done today. The tasks on the list were to remove the wiring harness and the turbo assembly. I got both of those things done. Let me tell you, that is one crazy turbo setup. It took me a couple hours to get them off even with the motor out of the car!

Upper plenum off to make the harness accessible.

AC compressor out to make room (and because I'm not going to have AC in the car)

Bucket-O intake piping, vacuum lines and VSVs

Uhhhhh yeah, not sure how to tackle this..

Finally able to get the manifold nuts off. No broken or stripped fasteners. Phew! Stock Twins off.

And there they are taking up more of my limited space Not sure what will happen to them. I reckon' I'll see if any MKIV guys have blown up their turbos and need replacements.
    –verb (used with object)

Did some more stuff this weekend. I got the engine up on the stand and Joey helped me get the crank pulley and timing gear off the crankshaft so I can put new seals and t-belt on. I neglected to take pictures of any of that but it wasn't terribly exciting anyway (was a very stubborn crank pulley bolt though).

Today I decided to maybe give refurbishing the steering wheel a go referencing Facime's post about re-covering them. I took the old black cover off and then unstitched and removed the original leather. Now I just need to find somewhere to get the leather and should be able to make it look like new with some help from the wife.

–verb (used with object)

I can give you some links for places to get thread and leather if you want.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

^ That'd be nifty
    –verb (used with object)

For sewing the two halves together just get the heaviest polyester thread your machine will feed.

for the hand stitching: Thread Size 277 Waxed Nylon 4 cord, choice of colors

leather options:
    Leather partials (ebay)
    Townsend Leather

Its kind of hard to find small pieces that are appropriate for a steering wheel. You want 2.5-3.5oz (1-1.5mm) thickness, with a "soft hand". I prefer a natural or smooth finish rather than a pebble finish. Toyota actually used "patent" leather, but Its hard to get to lay right. You might find it easier to go to an upholstery shop in the area and try to buy a scrap that you can see and feel and decide if you like it.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Cool, thanks for the info and tips!
    –verb (used with object)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

My first thought is "I wonder how much those twins weigh"?

Good stuff!
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

sigh, i wish i coulda found a supra around here that wasnt ragged to hell, oh well at least the 240 was lady owned

hey spoonman my buddy that has the 90 turbo is in need of a good cps really bad to you have one or can u get him one?

oh btw there was a 89-92 in the junkyard that had a nice interior i can see if its still out there next week
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Thread Information