CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default May be an alltrac owner.

I was browsing craigslist and saw this a 1990 classic all trac celica.. Its red.

""Classic 1990 Toyota Celica turbo alltrac, 5 speed, 118K miles, ABS, PS, Sun Roof, AC, AM-FM cassette, Cruise control, Tilt steering wheel, Driver air bag, Power windows, Keyless entry, Alarm, Alloy wheels, EXCELLENT condition
    ""

the guy wants $5,000- I was thinking about offering $4,000 cash and see what he says. The interior and exterior are FLAWLESS, they have not one ding tear scratch nothing.. All stock.

What you guys think, good deal?

pics ?

sounds good..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Audio Sorcerer's Apprentice... alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx is a splendid one to behold alltracNyx's Avatar
    alltracNyx has been to an annual Dragon Meet! alltracNyx helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

It sounds like a good deal. Make sure you get under the car and check the underbody for rust when you take a look at the car in person.

I wonder if the seller is on any of the forums...
    ~alltracNyx
    - Shadow's Army - General's Technical Advisor -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pretty good deal, but still treat it like any other used car man...check everything that you can.

Biggest thing to check is what she said /\ rust...specifically under body rust

Then of course test drive, listen for you whines, your knocks, etc.

Boost it once its warm, watch for blue smoke. etc

And if all is straight as an arrow, then 4K for such is a good deal!

also see if you can in there and do a compression test, a compression test tells you SO much! You get to know the life remaining in the motor, as well as you can see potential or existing issues, as well as you get to check the plugs. It tells you alot.

Yes I own 5(five) ST165's...it is problem...but I do not care

Sounds like a good deal. Check what the others said. If the body is good and the interior is tear/rip free, it would be a good deal. It's rare to find one with a good driver's seat if it has any miles on it.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Make sure to check for rust where the sway bars mount up.

SEEMS like a good deal.

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Yeah, I am going to check it out tomorrow, and hopefully if its all nice and what not try and beat him down to 4000 cash. He has no idea what the car is or what its worth, its an older guy, owned it since the lot, just a "fun" car he says. He doesn't know how rare they are or anything... He said he mantained it very well. I guess I shall see tomorrow, I'll let ya guys know.

Just because he's an older guy doesn't mean he doesn't know what it's worth or what it is. I fall in that older guy category.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

out of curiosity where in PA? and dont worry i wont buy it before you(honest i wont, low on funds)....and actually there are more older alltrac owners out there than there are younger, from what i have seen, the older gentlemen seem to actually know what they are, where as the people of my age(early twenties), they have no idea, and they would just buy a WRX instead...i dont mean to get on your case, just a friendly fyi

Yes I own 5(five) ST165's...it is problem...but I do not care

Totally understandable. He inherited it and doesn't want it. I live in harisburg bou 2 hrs from reading. Not far. Maybe if I get this we can go cruzing. I'm pretty ezcited to check her out. Always wanted an st185. First thing to go is tmic if I get it lol

If you get it, do all the necessary maintenance items first and then think about changing the intercooler. If everything else isn't up to snuff, a new intercooler isn't going to do much good.

Not being a smart ass, I just don't want you to fall into the "All Tracs are unreliable because I didn't do the necessary maintenance, ran the dog piss out of it and then it broke" camp.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

***UPDATE***

I went and looked at it, this older lady owned the car, for 15 years, and put 100k miles on it, it was only her car- husband never drove it(doesnt know how to drive stick, hearing impaired), and she just bought a 2008 eclipse spyder, so anyways onto the car, I checked it out, and I looked under it.. A little spot of rust on the rocker panel, 2 inch spot.. Thats it nothing else. Exhaust new, turbo rebuilt at 70k with paper work, toyota rebuilt it,( thinking may be due for a new one soon?), anyways, started the car up, and heard a slight tick which was under the top mount intercooler which seemed to have went even more quiet after the car warmed up, I wasnt sure what that was, other than that car ran drove fine and shifted fine, clutch is fine, interior has no one scratch dent hole nothing! has every piece to interior and all, ( red on red)- One other thing I noticed which worried me a bit, was after I shifted, and eased back on the gas, the car made a clunk noise, from the rear end, not sure what that was, figured I would ask you guys on here. Any advice is much appreciated.

BTW, i offered $3,500 and they said they wanted $3,800 and I went on and said rust was bad and it made a clunk sound, so they said think about it and call us on friday, they said $3,500 would work for them.

What do you guys think, any ideas what the noises are?

Made It! burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd is a glorious beacon of light burnyd's Avatar
    burnyd has been to an annual Dragon Meet! burnyd has donated to the forums!

If you are looking to dumb a ton of money into a car then sure a st185 is what you want!

If its a PA car look at the rear cradle see if there is any rust along the rear cradle, did you check to see if under the floor mats there is any rust?
    2012 Jeep Wrangler
    1993 Mr2 Turbo

Originally Posted by vangls14
    just because you want to be "different". Why not just take that mentality a couple steps forward and get yourself a Pontiac Aztek?

There wasn't much rust there, there was a little, which I can fix easily in an hr or two, and also yes, I looked under them- no rust. Solid body.

that clunk noise is from the 4x4 system i think...heard some ppl abou the same prob...and like you said...it was somewere from behind.

Hmm, pricey fix then? or something along the lines of switching off rear diff?

The clunking from the rear is most likely the rubber rear diff mount. It goes on the back of the diff and bolts to the rear subframe. Those things are prone to dry rot and tear after awhile. Not a big deal. You can replace it with the OEM one, I think it's around $180 or so from Toyota. It might be more. Or you can get a solid mount and be done with it. Mine had been replaced with a solid aluminum one. It works great. You get some noise from the diff with a solid mount that the rubber one prevents but you don't have to worry about replacing the rubber one again. You have to drop the diff but not a big deal. You take out the rear crossmember, the four bottom bolts and the rear bolts that hold the mount in. Granted the bolts could be a slight bitch to get loose but not a bad job. I swapped the diff out in mine for a torsen in about 2 hours so and that with contrary bolts.

If the turbo was rebuilt at 70,000 by Toyota and it's got 100,000 on it, your good for a while as long as you don't have any smoke. If you can get it for $3500, I'd say do it. That's a good deal.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Yeah, it wasn't smoking, no smoke at all, ran nice, temp was fine, boost felt fine.. Any idea about the ticking in the front of the car tho? Thats what worried me most.

Also just for some background, what psi is the st185's turbo set to? And what can it handle safley stock?

From what I've read, a 185 normal runs 8-9 psi of boost stock. I know that's what mind was at before I put the manual boost controller on it. I've been running mine at 13 psi for a couple of years now with no problem. I don't beat the hell out of it and have maxed out all the time but it regulary sees 8-11. You've just got to be sure that you run good gas, the knock sensor works and make sure the maintenance items are done.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Member usp45 will become famous soon enough usp45's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FifthGen View Post
    Any idea about the ticking in the front of the car tho?

could just be fuel injectors opening/closing, you prolly know what injectors sound like though? maybe exhaust leak? or needs valve adjustment? hard to say without actualy hearing and seeing. none of those things are major.

GL makin a deal

Never heard of a injector opening and closing.. maybe i am just a tard, but does this happen on all cars N/A and turbo? Or just turbo? Not an exhaust leak by the sound, valve adjust maybe. I will further inspect it when I get it, don't wanna tear it apart in front of these people haha.

And yeah, I am very excited, they said they will take $3,500- so I guess I am going to pick her up friday.

I am deffinatley going to check the diff mount tho, is it on the center rear of the diff towards the bumper?

Member usp45 will become famous soon enough usp45's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FifthGen View Post
    Never heard of a injector opening and closing.. maybe i am just a tard, but does this happen on all cars N/A and turbo?

when injectors operate you can hear the soleniod clicking, it's normal.

But loud enough to be hear from 15 feet away? So your saying its nothing to really worry about, I mean I know where the injectors are, I will try and see if I can pin point it to the fuel rail if not idk.

Diff mount is in the very back of the differential. It's in front of the gas tank. There are two bolt heads you'll be able to see in the middle. This is were the mount bolts to the diff housing.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Will I visually be able to see the rubber piece your talking about without a jack just peeking up there?

Thread Information