CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Looks like i found a solotuion!
    I just got off the phone with RBC Insurance... Quick quote and great price!
    No problems in insuring JDM RHD car either.
    The old insurance made up their mind and they will not take me in even if I redo safety and provide an appraisal, the best the broker could come up with is "Facility Insurance" for high risk drivers/vehicles - premiums quoted were over $3000 a year just for the Celica!!!!!!!!!!!! Insane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'92 ST195 - being parted
    '94 ST205 - nice little toy
    '07 CX7 - the family bus

Glad you got it sorted.

Here's to hoping we can all find something that works well for our unique cars!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Daisy - Daily driver.
    1985 Toyota Celica GT Delilah - Sold.
    1984 Celica Supra project (unnamed) - Currently in the low budget parts acquisition phase.

Well............ no luck, today i find out RBC will not insure me either!!!
    What the F... is going on???
    I called numerous other companies with no luck.
    Please someone help me with this insurance fiasco!

'92 ST195 - being parted
    '07 CX7 - the family bus

OK what happened? the other day you said you got off the phone with a quote and everything (almost a done deal) and now you say they are NOT going to insure you?
    What excuse did they give you?

Who or where did you buy the car? As far as i know (according to my insurance company) that the only way you will get it insured now is through Facility insurance. However, Michael at Right Drive seems to have no issues getting insurance for the cars he sells. I think he has struck a deal with an insurance company that he has used for ages (or the devil) and they have some sort of agreement that his clients will be insured.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by gt4lechacz View Post
    Well............ no luck, today i find out RBC will not insure me either!!!
    What the F... is going on???
    I called numerous other companies with no luck.
    Please someone help me with this insurance fiasco!
    Statefarm wont do comprehensive for me either. I had it on my RC, and Im transfering the policy to my WRC today. They said it was a recent decision by Statefarm head office that they wont be doing comp or collision on RHD cars anymore.

I asked if there was any way around it, and they said "no"

The only thing they cover is liability (aka: damage to others and their vehicle)

No coverage at all on my car.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Well this is seemingly crappy. I can't believe some insurance company won't jump on this as an opportunity to capture a market segment. It's a pretty competitive business too...sigh.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Hmm...

http://www.vsccc.ca/insurance_site.htm

Canada Brokerlink

Edmonton - (780) 474-8911 or 1-800-272-8840
    Calgary - (403) 209-6300 or 1-800-387-4440

ING Insurance Co. of Canada

Competition Insurance Inc.

Edmonton - (780) 451-7940 or 1-800-454-5592

Elite Insurance Co.
    Legends Collector Vehicle Insurance

Medicine Hat - (403) 526-3283 or 1-800-830-9423

AXA Pacific Insurance

Palliser Insurance Agency Ltd.

Alberta (403) 259-2747 or 1-888-259-2747
    Email: John White

Waterloo Insurance
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

most of the time you can't get the collector/antique etc. type insurance unless the car is 25 years or more old. No problem for me ATM, but that might present issues for you all-trac guys.

Legends Insurance ... I forgot about these guys ... they are in the list that Chris posted.
    www.legendsinsurance.com

These guys offer a different approach to insurance (currently only in Alberta mind you).

It is not age dependent but more based on what they determine to be a "project car". I have spoken to a rep in person and he gave me a good impression. They are really just a spin off of a larger insurance company but no matter ... and he told they will not discriminate against RHD. Albeit this was months ago so things may have changed.

You need to have a daily driver registered and insured to prove that the "project car" you are registering with Legends is in fact a "project car". Then you will negotiate a max KM/year with them and they underwrite off this and a professional appraisal. The cool thing is that they will also insure parts that are in your garage intended for spares or eventual installation to your car.

It's a cool idea. I will pursue this in a few weeks as I have an old truck I could use as my "daily". I don't really commute in my GT-Fours anyways so the max KM issue should not pose any problems.

Maybe this would work for some Alberta folks?

Les ... I'm still hunting for you on Ontario ins and also your brake parts

.. JDM and Euro import cars / parts direct from Japan
    '91 ST185H RC - Current Project
    '93 ST185H - Current Commuter
    '94 ST205 WRC - Current Toy
    '92 ST185H RC - Sold to GT4RC
    '89 ST162 GTS - Sold to RyanD
    '88 ST165 GTI 4WD Turbo - Sold
    '88 ST165 - Sold to ChrisD

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Having posted that last item only a couple of weeks ago, I'm sad to announce that Meloche Monnex no longer provides physical coverage on RHD vehicles, as of a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they have had issues with vehicle replacement - not knowing what the car is actually worth makes life very hard for them.

I called in to transfer my coverage from one policy to another (change of address and whatnot, no longer staying under my daddy's account,) and was told that they could not longer offer me complete coverage. I went on the warpath and spoke with the "team lead," who then spoke to the guy in charge to see what they could do for me. I've managed to keep my current coverage as-is as a one-off deal. They will not be offering this to new clients or those who renew their coverage.

Full coverage of RHD vehicles is essentially a product that they no longer sell. Getting an appraisal of your vehicle and insuring for an agreed-upon value may be an option with Meloche Monnex, but I'd imagine that they are going to be evaluating that on a case-by-case basis.

For everyone with an imported car, I highly recommend that you bite the bullet and get a vehicle inspection performed by an accredited inspector, and advise your insurer of the vehicle's worth... should you need to put in a claim, it will help your case enormously.

... So, for those of you currently insured with Meloche Monnex, consider this a heads-up for when your insurance renewal comes around.
    I just got full coverage (250comp/500colli) through TD Meloche yesterday for all three of my vehicles and my house for less than what Statefarm was charging me for just the MR2 (which was $2100/6months).

I was furious with Statefarm yesterday as they took $850 in one month for insurance, telling me they were catching up for all the changes I've been doing to my account.
    Im back down to $300/month for everything.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Sweet! Nice job Steve ... I think it depends on who you talk to over at TD? Did you specifically tell your agent that your 205 is a RHD? Did they even ask?

.. JDM and Euro import cars / parts direct from Japan
    '91 ST185H RC - Current Project
    '93 ST185H - Current Commuter
    '94 ST205 WRC - Current Toy
    '92 ST185H RC - Sold to GT4RC
    '89 ST162 GTS - Sold to RyanD
    '88 ST165 GTI 4WD Turbo - Sold
    '88 ST165 - Sold to ChrisD

Looks like it may get tougher to get insurance in Canada for RHD's. P.E.I. is now looking to ban the (get this) 30 RHD cars that exist on Prince Edward Island.
    I bet I could pick out 30 crappy LHD cars that should be banned before they should worry about the 30 RHD cars they got.

Others, Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by SchweizerCeli View Post
    Sweet! Nice job Steve ... I think it depends on who you talk to over at TD? Did you specifically tell your agent that your 205 is a RHD? Did they even ask?
    Yeah I did, and I told her my ST205 wasnt listed, She went with a 94 GT and said it was close enough....little does she know

Yeah, I think because I walked in instead of calling in.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Finally i have found an insurance comp that takes JDM with no problems and it's cheaper than i was paying for the '92 alltrac and my other car before. Lombard insurance is willing with no issues.

'92 ST195 - being parted
    '07 CX7 - the family bus

Quote Originally Posted by sodap0p View Post
    Yeah I did, and I told her my ST205 wasnt listed, She went with a 94 GT and said it was close enough....little does she know
    Same happened here for my ST185. It's listed as a Celica GT.

I just called that insurance agency and it turns out they look like a broker. The website lists a bunch of insurance companies. I called the one local to me and the guy at the end of the line had no clue if they insure RHD .... I smiled.
    I've been driving for 22 years and never caused an accident, no parking ticket or speeding ticket and I am currently paying $167.84 a month for my car. It's outrageous !!
    Hopefully I get some good news from Staebler (a company listed on that site)

Others, Not you.

Thread Information