CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default insurance problems with JDM cars?

Hey,
    Just got my ST205 a little time ago, I'm wondering if anyone else has had troubles with their insurance company over their RHD JDM car... They left me a message saying the this car appears to abe a race car and they might not be able cover it unless i provide all sorts of documentation. I'm guessing they are just ignorant of the 15 year laws but i'd like to hear about your experience with the insurance process please fill me in, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'92 ST195 - being parted
    '94 ST205 - nice little toy
    '07 CX7 - the family bus

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

lol, race car.

The BEST company I have dealt with for insuring my 205 is TD Melloche Monnex. http://www.melochemonnex.com/

They are the only company that I have found that would offer full collision coverage also. Very simple to set up, they had no problem with it being RHD, or that the VIN was not the typical North American format. I have several friends that insure with them also. Also, their rates are pretty good. I have my Acura and my 205 insured through them, and I'm tempted to switch the 165 also.

They may require that you fit into one of their "groups" but that is pretty loose. I can't remember if I just said I was a University grad or that my wife is a nurse, but either way they just have to put you in a group and there are tonnes to choose one. (just pick one, they don't make you prove it)
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

I have an ST185 JDM Alltrac. I got insurance through a broker and have been informed that they no longer take RHD cars. (i was the last one but they will still cover me)
    I had to have my car appraised and a ton of pictures taken to make sure it was not modified. I wanted to do intake and exhaust, boost controller, shim wastegate and so on but was strongly "advised" not to mod my car as I may lose my coverage.
    So I have a 20 year old bone stock Alltrac, but I still love her.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

That is weird you would think they would be more understanding of RHD cars since there appear to be more so than in the US. But my parents currently have insurance on three RHD cars, I haven't heard they had issues as long as it was registered, which brings on a whole new set of problems. However, I guess it is the experience with those RHD vehicles that is causing issue. Sucks though that have all those restrictions, different country different rules I guess.

Shop around. There are a few companies who 'get' the whole 15 year thing. And some that definetly do not.

And +1 for meloche monnex. I think if you are a university grad it's no problem to get in with them.

if there's a problem with RHD.. then convert it to LHD!

just like what i did in my trac.. laws here in PI suck!

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Bottles are for babies, real men get blown....
    Making your car Track worthy, is making it MORE than Road worthy..

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyGT4 View Post
    if there's a problem with RHD.. then convert it to LHD!

just like what i did in my trac.. laws here in PI suck!
    The point of owning a RHD car is not to make it LHD ...
    Any canadian with a RHD please go and join IVOAC. Fight for Right !!
    (out of country RHD's are welcome as well) We need all the support we can get with the stupid SAAQ ban.

*sorry if this post goes against forum rules but we really do need the support or we may lose our rides, and god forbid I lose my GT-Four*

Others, Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post
    The point of owning a RHD car is not to make it LHD ...
    Any canadian with a RHD please go and join IVOAC. Fight for Right !!
    (out of country RHD's are welcome as well) We need all the support we can get with the stupid SAAQ ban.

*sorry if this post goes against forum rules but we really do need the support or we may lose our rides, and god forbid I lose my GT-Four*
    oh sorry dude.. didnt know there's such a thing there in canada..

anyway..

in my case, its either convert it to LHD or none.. so.. thats the price i had to pay..

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Bottles are for babies, real men get blown....
    Making your car Track worthy, is making it MORE than Road worthy..

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

No, not against any rules. I'm on IVOAC too, don't post much but it is a good forum for awareness of RHD issues, new regulations and potential future challenges we might have as RHD owners.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

I'm with Meloche Monnex as well - I had zero issues insuring my car, except for the first guy I dealt with who was confused about the VIN. After verification on my part, there was no trouble with getting full coverage on my 205.

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Daisy - Daily driver.
    1985 Toyota Celica GT Delilah - Sold.
    1984 Celica Supra project (unnamed) - Currently in the low budget parts acquisition phase.

Default Have fun with this one kids!

Having posted that last item only a couple of weeks ago, I'm sad to announce that Meloche Monnex no longer provides physical coverage on RHD vehicles, as of a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they have had issues with vehicle replacement - not knowing what the car is actually worth makes life very hard for them.

I called in to transfer my coverage from one policy to another (change of address and whatnot, no longer staying under my daddy's account,) and was told that they could not longer offer me complete coverage. I went on the warpath and spoke with the "team lead," who then spoke to the guy in charge to see what they could do for me. I've managed to keep my current coverage as-is as a one-off deal. They will not be offering this to new clients or those who renew their coverage.

Full coverage of RHD vehicles is essentially a product that they no longer sell. Getting an appraisal of your vehicle and insuring for an agreed-upon value may be an option with Meloche Monnex, but I'd imagine that they are going to be evaluating that on a case-by-case basis.

For everyone with an imported car, I highly recommend that you bite the bullet and get a vehicle inspection performed by an accredited inspector, and advise your insurer of the vehicle's worth... should you need to put in a claim, it will help your case enormously.

... So, for those of you currently insured with Meloche Monnex, consider this a heads-up for when your insurance renewal comes around.

1984 Celica Supra project (unnamed) - Currently in the low budget parts acquisition phase.

I would add that getting an appraisal for any performance modified/restored car is good practice.

Plus if your car is ancient enough like mine, you can even get antique car insurance and save $$$

Images

F, that hurts. They'll give me full coverage or I'll leave. Simple.

From a purely economic perspective, this is retarded. It's just math. Figure it the F out and charge the appropriate premiums.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    The BEST company I have dealt with for insuring my 205 is TD Melloche Monnex. http://www.melochemonnex.com/
    They are in my building, on the 18th floor, just below me. They are the most annoying people, taking the elevator down 3 floors to their lunch room on the 15th. Then they take it up 3 floors, I always think to myself, walk the stairs you lazy bitches...

I have statefarm for my insurance, they have no issues with either of my JDM cars; SW20 or ST185. They would cover collision and all, but I declined collision on my ST185, I never though I would crash her.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Images

Good to know. We had State Farm on another car once until they doubled our premiums after Lisa had her 2nd accident. (it went to around $350 a month!...so we switched and paid much, much less at AMA at the time. Now I use both AMA and TD...might be worth looking at state farm again)

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

I joined the IVOAC forum.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Thanks for all the replays... sorry i didnt answer before - was away on vacation
    I tried TD and no luck, the will not take any RHD cars any longer!
    My broker is having a fit trying to find someone who will insure this car...
    I still have to get an appraisal and redo the safety... Damn, now i have to exchange the DP and BOV i just put in
    Can any of you think of any other ins. companies that take RHD???

'92 ST195 - being parted
    '94 ST205 - nice little toy
    '07 CX7 - the family bus

If you get an insurance safety and a proper appraisal, I'm sure TD will be able to help you out. It's not that they don't want to insure RHD cars because they think the cars are unsafe - you can still get PLPD no problem. The issue is that there is no standard value rating system for the car, as it is not in the 'blue book' system for cars sold here.

Thus getting a policy for full coverage based on an agreed upon value from the appraisal is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sodap0p View Post
    I joined the IVOAC forum.
    Thanks for your support !!

Others, Not you.

Yes, like I said, TD will still insure RHD cars, just not for anything beyond liability. Offering physical coverage just causes issues when they start trying to resolve claims. A car that they thought was worth $3,000 (like mine for example, which is insured as a Celica GT-S Coupe, as there was nothing in their system that was even close to a GT-Four,) turns out to be double or triple what they thought it was worth when it comes time to replace it. This obviously wreaks havok with their system.

Having an inspection done on the car, and communicating the value to your insurance company, will greatly help your case, should you end up needing to claim physical damages on your car.

Images

Seems like there's got to be a better solution. So will they provide full coverage if you have an appraisal done?

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Interesting topic guys. Insurance on our RHDs is going to get harder IMO. The problem is the propoganda being sent around to the ins underwriter departments ... we can thank ICBC and their bogus study for that.

Just keep making a stink with these companies. Be polite but they have to come back a good reason why they won't cover us on collision. Being that the car is not in a Blue Book is not a good reason ... take a 1994 LHD GTS Celica with low kilometers and in perfect shape. If this car gets creamed they will offer you maybe $900 but you can negotiate by showing what the true replacement value is. A write off claim is always a fight.

TD has always been my choice for ins and have always treated me well. I think Tara and I have just gone on the same war path to understand why they no longer cover us on collision. I just sold my ST205 which had full coverage and replaced the car with a new ST205 (same year / same colour) and now I'm told I can't have collision?? .... I'm still fighting on this but expect to get somewhere with it. At least TD is still returning my calls and has been genuinely working with me for the past week.

Les ... I will try to help you out for Ontario Ins. Just give me a couple days and we'll sort this out. It's rediculous that an ins company will decline to insure you. Like Chris says, it is just F'in math. Figure it out!!

In the UK, there are ins companies that only work with grey market imports. These companies work hard at keeping replacement value records on the more popular imported vehicles. The main problem with our Canadian Ins Companies is that they are bloody lazy and there are only a handfull of them. Canadian Ins Council makes it nearly impossible to start a new ins company so there will be no competition for these guys in the short term. Big business at it's best....

.. JDM and Euro import cars / parts direct from Japan
    '91 ST185H RC - Current Project
    '93 ST185H - Current Commuter
    '94 ST205 WRC - Current Toy
    '92 ST185H RC - Sold to GT4RC
    '89 ST162 GTS - Sold to RyanD
    '88 ST165 GTI 4WD Turbo - Sold
    '88 ST165 - Sold to ChrisD

Images

Out of curiosity, what does it take to become an insurance provider? Aside from a big pot of money to start with I'm sure...

You'd think there would be a great opportunity for grey market insurance like you say.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

As with breaking into most Canadian markets it is mostly just filing paperwork and having a believable business plan.

The showstopper is that you must show $5,000,000 capital minimum based on current federal requirements.

This is sensible for a large ins company that is taking on a many many individual risks but a new ins company will start small and grow from there.

.. JDM and Euro import cars / parts direct from Japan
    '91 ST185H RC - Current Project
    '93 ST185H - Current Commuter
    '94 ST205 WRC - Current Toy
    '92 ST185H RC - Sold to GT4RC
    '89 ST162 GTS - Sold to RyanD
    '88 ST165 GTI 4WD Turbo - Sold
    '88 ST165 - Sold to ChrisD

The topic of insuring RHD cars has popped up many times on IVOAC, we are talking about opening our own insurance company (not sure how serious right now) to insure just RHD cars. I know we have the backing and most likely the money if all the members pooled together a few bucks. This would mean that we could insure any RHD vehicle with a decent price, which also means we would not need to fear importing RHD's and then having to worry about where to get it insured (unless a ban were to arise in your area)

Others, Not you.

Thread Information