CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The history and rebirth of "Darkness"

1st off id like to thank Mike ,(dynamic73) for getting me into the world of 3rd gens, if he hadnt beat "shoulda bought a 3rd gen." into my head i probally would have never had one or a toyota truck.

so ive finally got off my ass and started putting darkness back togather.For those of you that dont know darkness is my 85 celica gts or as most of you say "the 3rd gen"

heres a timeline with pics, alot of them

this is the day before i got him, yes him, because this car doesnt have a girly personality at all. Now, i had seen theis car a year before i got it and bugged the lady to sell it. She wouldnt, well till florida summer hit and her kid passed out from the heat one day, so i traded her my 91stx for the 3rd gen. Best trade i ever made.

This is what he looked like after a few weeks and spending 6 hours cleaning and polishing the old paint

the next 3 are some pics i took after they redid the road by my house and made a 2nd road that very few people knew about.

this is the 1st ever cai made for a 3rd gen, i fabbed it myself and put it all togather with just and idea in my head

this wheel was a christmas gift from a friend of mine named andrew hampton, have no idea where he is now

also added door speakers and chrome window cranks

cleaned up lightly modded engine

1st dragon meet, shot suspension as you can see, mediocore tires

since he had been a good boy, i gave him a set of wheels and tires for his birthday

took a trip to the mall to show off

went to the junkyard, saw a mint 85 vert, pulled most of the interior and cleaned it up to use in my car, i needed new carpet and seats anyway. I aslso added sound system wiring, a cap, new speakers and 2 amps.

2nd dragon meet at the church

reserved
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 06-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

after the 2nd dragon and tooling around florida and georgia for a little over the year the transmission i had ban-aid fixed started to crap out and the engine was starting to hint at it wanting a rebuild which let to the disassembly of darkness.

busted w58 with only a working 2nd and 4th gears, yes i had enough lowend to easily take off in 2nd, then shift to 4th. how did it die u ask? Well when i got the car it shifted funn and had random drivetrain vibration while moving. I later went to change the fluid and about enough fluid came out to pool in my hand. 5 years later, it blows up (to clairify i had all working gears untill a couple of years back.

heres where he temporarilly rests as i gather parts each week

yes thats right i have a toyota lunch bag
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 06-01-2010 at 07:06 AM.

i was just about to start saving for a high performace head and rebuilt bottom end exchange when i ran across this on craigslist for 800.

yes its a 4runner but theres something specail about it.....

.....this, a 30,000 mile 22rte, yup turbo and its all factory

so 400 dollars later i buy the whole truck

this was a bitch to remove with the trans and trans case

Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 06-01-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Love how the Celi Supras looked on your car.

Cant wait to see her boosted

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

thanks, yes i cant wait to have may cake and eat it too. basicly im doing a easy bolt in swap where the only thing to havta be fabbed is the downpipe and i may havta get a custom radiator.

so boost in a light car with a 51/49 weight split will be a thrill

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

is there no wiring involved at all?

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

umm...... hurry up joe.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

is there no wiring involved at all?
    nope

im going to swap the 22re harness over to the 22rte though, the truck/4runner harness have a seperate harness for the diagnostic box whereas the celica harness has the diagnostic harness built into it. isnt nessasary though

ecu is plug n play

im supposed to upgrade the fuel pump but i already did, i have a whinebro 255lph pump

E-Z swap ftw

EDIT: oh hush andy, i didnt have any moneys for awhile and now i have extra moneys but i work 7 days a week
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 06-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for a lot of pics and short, concise descriptions. Really enjoyed the project thread. Keep up the great work!
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This is gonna be awesome.

The only thing I can say is I hope the 4runner was in really bad shape because that would've been a cool resto project.

You should try and make that cool digital dash out of the turbo 4runner work in the GT-S

Quote Originally Posted by joe's gt View Post
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for a lot of pics and short, concise descriptions. Really enjoyed the project thread. Keep up the great work!
    thank you, its hard trying to do this on a budget but i think the 3rd gen is one of the cheapest generations to modify because the car is simple for what it is

Quote Originally Posted by cavemanlarry View Post
    This is gonna be awesome.

The only thing I can say is I hope the 4runner was in really bad shape because that would've been a cool resto project.

You should try and make that cool digital dash out of the turbo 4runner work in the GT-S
    honestly if i had the knowhow id put all anolog custom gauges in it like the older generations had.

plus if i put that thing id id havta hack up the existing harness and slightly modify the factor wiring for the boost scale to work. i do have a toyota truck i can try it with.

oh and yes the body was rotten, if u click the 4runner pics and follow my photobucket album for it you will see how badly it was rusted. yes i felt bad for it too.

Parts list: this is a list of stuff i NEED, then i will start modifing more once i get it running

w58 trans (have THANKS ANDY ELEVENTY BILLION)
    starter (thanks parts car)
    3 tires
    air filter (have)
    front and rear rotors (thanks parts car)
    rear brake calipers (thanks parts car)
    all pads (have, all metal masters)
    all external engine seals/gaskets (mostly have)
    swap RE harness to RTE engine
    rack bushings (have)
    various paints (have)
    shifter (have x2)
    fluids
    battery (thanks parts car)
    rear dif seals
    resurface flywheel
    clutch assembly (have)
    firewall hoses (have)
    fog bulbs
    rear brake hoses
    S.S clutch line
    hatch shocks (have)
    hatch wiper motor (have)
    swap RE oil pan to RTE motor
    belts
    thermostat (have 160 degree failsafe)
    tune up parts ( just need wires and plugs)
    ignitor ( hoping the spare one i bought works)
    window regulators (have)
    radiator, im stuck using the old 1 row till i figure out an aftermarket alternative
    upper and lower rad hoses (have)
    vac hoses
    cooling hoses
    horn
    exaust system, im keeping that muffer though (parts car has a nice 2.5 inch exaust)
    blower speed switch (hopefully the one from the parts car is still good)
    1 sub to replaced my cracked one

thats mostly it
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 07-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.

This is going to be sweet Joe. I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

thanks nitro

atm everything is on hold. Im buying a 82 gt-s for parts

heres the goods on the parts car

all glass is still there
    stiff aftermarket suspension
    almost new spare w58
    new starter
    new p/s rack
    new battery
    reupolstered seats
    new brakes all the way around
    long tube header, it will go on my truck
    new carb, prob sell it and get my money back i bought the carb for
    supra rear end and supposedly it has adjustible rear camber that was weled in
    bunch of other stuff i can sell
    14x7 mags with 3 good 225/60/14s, yay now i have a spare set of wheels w/tires

the bad

engine has a hole in the block
    doors and front fenders are beat to snot
    hatch glass is busted
    hatch is fubar
    no rear bumper

best of all

whole car is costing me 100 + 80 for storage

shame too cause theres not really any rust cept the hatch

the truck engine i have on a stand is going to a buddy of mine so he can put it back togather cheap. and the turbo engine is going on the stand so i can freshen it up and so i can swap oil pans

only things im getting for sure next are tires and a ss clutch hose
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 06-15-2010 at 05:36 AM.

aawwwwww celicas look so good in black...

so hopefully im aquiring a t3/t4 manifold , mandrel bent downpipe to goes all the way to the cat, autometer cobalt a/f guage and boost guage for 145 shipped

im getting parts from here http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/ind...?topic=20825.0

also i bought a 135k 22re from a 85 vert for my truck but the harness is in better shape than my orginal (all my connectors are brittle after 312k miles and 25 years) and and that engine will go in my truck.

my parts car also is currently being demolished, im going to have some nice stuff from it

now that ive been wrenching on it heres what im salvaging
    several fender flares
    hatch shocks
    early spoiler x2
    random tools and change
    wheels/tires
    brakes
    w58x2
    battery
    seat belts
    seat set
    interior trim
    lower dash parts
    shifter
    2 row radiator but im probally gonna re-core it
    drive shaft
    suspension
    rack
    tail lights
    alt (selling)
    carb (most likely selling)
    header
    exaust that was done perfectly and ill use for my turboing project cause its at least 2.5 inches if not bigger
    headlights (selling)
    ebrake assembly, mines toast
    grill (selling)

if no one buys the shell and i scrap the car i may keep the passenger door and hood, hood ill sell and the door as a spare, i may pull the cruise control but i have no idea if it works.

also ill probally be pulling the engine, trans and rack out the cr this week end cause its gotta go by wensday
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 07-09-2010 at 05:35 AM.

You got spare wheels? 14x7 Celica supras? Want to sell 2?

well i needed an extra set with tires so i was going to use the ones on the parts car for now.

but if u make me a decent offer ill sell u a set or if i can find one extra one ill sell u a pair

came home this evening to a big box

this is what was inside

aftermarket log type t3/t4 turbo manifold that places the turbo upright.

downpipe thats 2.25 inch (im going to get a 2.5 made up later on from this)

autometer cobalt a/f guage

oil feed hose for the t3/t4

knock off hks ssqv w/pipe

im going to try and get some 370cc injectors from the same guy here shortly

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Nice. So, whats the current list of needs for darkness?

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

thanks for askin, i do need to make an updated list so ones i have are not a jumbled up.

2 tires, though i may cheap out and get a set of nexens and have 2 extra tires
    vac hoses
    cooling hoses
    fluids
    rear diff seals
    fog bulbs
    rear brake hoses
    ss brake line (its only a few dollars over a regular one)
    belts
    horn (ill probally just go to the junkyard and get some off a fullsize gm)
    boost guage
    2 pods

thats all i need in terms of parts atm

soon here in the next few weeks ill put the engine and trans togather on the ground and put it in the car as 1 unit.

for now im going to run the stock turbo setup unless i find a 50 trim garret t3/t4 turbo for a good price. though if i do that im also going to have to track down some higher flowing injectors between 370cc-440cc. Also ill have to get a intercooler set up as well which im planning anyway but i want the beast up and running before i mess with any of that.

The extra set of wheels i got ill probally paint them like this and i may use them for a short duration cause the tread is decent

Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 07-23-2010 at 01:05 AM.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

lol didnt read and thought for a sec that you bought that ae86, i was all like YAH.....awwww.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

id consider one to replace the 6th gen, problem is all the ones here are beat to shit and/or are 3-5 grand

note to self 240sx sr20 aluminum radiator fits with light modification, so does a mazda 929 radiator
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 07-23-2010 at 06:24 PM.

I did the same thing Andy and thought "Damn, Joe didn't say anything about picking one of those up!"
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

i may be picking up a 93 camry to replace the 6th gen, i wouldnt mind having a 86 but id want a hatch. i want a car with more room anyway plus some guy offered 1800 for the 6th gen, i told em 2200 including all extra parts.

gonna go see if i can find a metal 929 radiator this weekend. If not ill hold off for a aluminum 240sx sr20 radiator. they are only 119 shipped new w/cap.

Thread Information