CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Questions about interior lights?

Hi.

Time for one of the more weird questions you'll ever see.

I am wondering how many interior lightbulbs there are in a Celica GTI -91.
    With interior lights I mean the lights for gauges, buttons and so on. Not the lights by the sunroof controls or the lights behind the sunroof either.

I'd also like to know the size of these lights(in millimeters), and how many there are of each size.

Example:

Foglight button has a 3 mm lightbulb with a 5 mm green cover.

While lights are the topic I have some more questions.

How the *crazy words* am I supposed to get the lightbulb out of the little gray holder for it? These gray holders are everywhere for the interior lights and it would be nice to know how to get the bulbs out so I can replace the broken ones.

And how can I test the bulbs outside their holders to see if they are broken?

Is there a guide somewhere on this site about changing the color of the light of the clock and climate controls? (I saw the post about changing the light for the power window switches and got inspired)

Many questions and I am waiting for many answers

Under gauges: 5 x 5W, 1 x 2W-these are standard for position(push-pull, i don't know how to tell you and I don't know dimensions)
    Under buttons(vent and other): all same 5 x 1W litlle one with short wires
    Toyota Celica 2.0 GTi 16V (3S-GE) '91

Default There are quite a # of bulbs

My 5th Gen Celica Resource.
    http://www.radcastro.com/Projects/ST2GT4/default.aspx

wait, what makes this a weird question?
    Sorry, no picture currently available. Too many users can't take graphic humor.

Quote Originally Posted by MoralWarfare
    wait, what makes this a weird question?
    Isn't it weird to ask for the size of all interior lights?
    Although for a car fanatic this is quite ordinary I guess :lolhittin

For all the other answers, thanks, although a complete listing is what I require. But every tiny piece is needed to make a great whole

No one knows how to remove those tiny bulbs from their holders?

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

I'm not sure what holders your talking about but for me they're all removable, very easy.
    As for the clock color, I love it without the lense cover thing. It's so much more clear and crisp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    I'm not sure what holders your talking about but for me they're all removable, very easy.
    As for the clock color, I love it without the lense cover thing. It's so much more clear and crisp
    The holders are the tiny plastic thingies that the bulbs are stuck in.
    Check the picture that smbius posted. The circles are around the holders for the bigger lights and if you look closely you'll see 14 smaller ones.
    If you remove these plastic holders you have the holder and the bulb loose, and I assume that you need to get the bulb out of the plastic to exchange it, and this is what I am wondering how you do.

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Ah right those... (:

Once you have them out of the cluster, just pull the bulbs off the little plastic holders or so thats what I did.

And to test them, just apply 12v to the bulbs (:

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333
    Ah right those... (:

Once you have them out of the cluster, just pull the bulbs off the little plastic holders or so thats what I did.

And to test them, just apply 12v to the bulbs (:
    I've tried pulling it right up but it doesn't seem to work(talking about the small lights). Guess I'll just have to try again

Hmm, 12v source. Gotta find me one then

Okay, I know now how to get those small lights out of their holders. They have some metal going out of the rear end and these are twisted around the holder. I learned this the hard way(thankfully the light was broken before I tried).

This gives me another question, can I put a 3/5 V LED in the holder and twist the connectors on it like the ones on the small lights, as a substitute? Or do I need some resistance thingies(don't know the english word, sorry) to avoid frying the LED?

No one knows if you can connect a LED to the existing holder without frying the LED?

I thought I answered this. I guess not.
    If you put a 5v zener diode inline before the LED it should work fine. You just have to do a bit of soldering.

Quote Originally Posted by alltracman78
    I thought I answered this. I guess not.
    If you put a 5v zener diode inline before the LED it should work fine. You just have to do a bit of soldering.
    This is not possible in any (decent) kind of way with the current bulb-holders and layout of the various switches and such restricts this.
    I would have to rewire and remake all interior lights then, and that is not something I'd like to do.

I tried today to simply put a LED(or is it diode? is there a difference?) in the bulb-holder and then turned on the lights and it just said "pzzzzt" and the LED fried.

So I guess the only option is to get new bulbs(to replace the broken ones), and then get rubber-hats that gives me the color I want.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

LED = Light Emitting Diode

People have redone their interior lights before...should come up in a search.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

hold on I got the link for the whole write-up, lemme just find it

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91

OK, I know I ressurected this thread but I thought it would be usefull to new members and ppl still wonderin how to do it

You may have had the LED in backwards. If you wire ANY diode in backwards in a circuit, it will fry.

h

yea, jus read the thread... full write-up of all bulbs (or most of them anyway)

Thread Information