CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default any thoughts on clunky noise from rear

(92 GT - 145K miles, pretty well maintained overall.)

My gf's 92 has a wierd clunking from the rear that I cant seem to track down. It happens over rough surfaces only and is a pretty obvious hard clunk that come from both sides. I thought it was the calipers floating. My 94 did that, but I rigged up some throttle return springs to the calipers to rule them out and it wasnt them.

I cant see any bushings that look perished and the struts dampen and rebound just fine. Im thinking maybe the strut mounts at this point but was wondering is anyone has had this problem and solved it.

Just looking for more ideas from you folks with more 5th gen experience.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Rear sway bar end links is a possibility, to test, remove the end links and use some wire to fasten the bar up since removal is a PITA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

With the age, bushings is not an unlikely source of the clunking.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Rear stabilizer bar bushings are rubber, so wear or age can produce a clunking as the bar twists. Easy to test, just pop the bushings loose and bounce the car. Also cheap to replace at $10 for the pair.

Fifth-gen Celica with a clunk (not a groan) coming from the rear when the suspension has to travel often ends up being the bearings/bushings on the ends of the suspension arms or strut rod; more specifically, the culprit most commonly is the inboard end of the No. 2 suspension arm. Worn bearings/bushings tend to bind and then suddenly release thus producing the characteristic clunk. (The suspension arms are the four arms which run laterally in pairs from the chassis to the knuckles, with the rearward of each pair being the No. 2 arm; the strut rods are the arm on either side which run longitudinally from under the rocker panel to the knuckle.)

If you can get the car up on a lift, get under it and bounce the car, the vibration in the arm is fairly distinct to the touch. You might be able to produce the clunk by prying at the bearing or bushing.

The strut rods have replaceable bushings, though you'd have to buy them aftermarket. The suspension arms, unfortunately, require a great deal more effort or money as they use spherical bearings. Some people have had success removing the bearings and replacing them with bushings, but that apparently required an oxy-acetylene torch, a hydraulic press and a fair amount of time. Most people buy new arms from Toyota, which run about $120 each for the No. 2 arms (the inboard connection of these arms control toe, which may also explain why it's the most common failure point) or $110 for the No. 1 arms.

Or you can do what I did: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ber-conversion
    Last edited by Galcobar; 03-21-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Junk in the trunk ??

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Yeah I Second what Galcobar said... I had same issue annoying clunk in the rear.. went ahead and replaced both rear suspension arms... and that did the trick

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

What happened to the end of your suspension arm?
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

the old one ? buddy just got a trigger happy with the cutting torch haha no biggy they were gettin throw out anyway

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Those long bolts are a PITA... Fortunately an air hammer solved my problem.

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

Thread Information