CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: I have read and understand this post.

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

76 96.20%
  • NO

3 3.80%
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Exclamation If you want help troubleshooting READ THIS.

So you want help getting your problem(s) solved and your car fixed?

1. List the symptoms. (All of them)

I.e.: My car dies after it reaches NOT.

2. List any work performed recently (6 months)

I.e.: I installed a relay for new fog lamps... etc.

3. Make sure you have the tools to test with.

If you do not have the tools necessary to test your systems,
    kindly do not waste everyone else's time.

4. Do not at any time make assumptions.
    You have either tested and verified a system,
    or you haven't. There is no middle ground here.

I.e.: "It can't be this because it looked fine to me..."

5. Follow outlined testing procedures. Take notes.
    Verify your test results via the BGB on the home page.

We have the BGB here on site.
    It is an invaluable resource that we provide you. USE IT.

6. Do your own homework!

We are not babysitters. We won't spoon-feed you information.
    If you found this forum, you can obviously navigate the internet.
    This means that you do YOUR part in the information gathering process.

7. Entitlement ...

Many times people can not answer immediately.

Contrary to what your mother may have told you,

you are not the center of the universe.

Deal with it.........
    Patiently.

- Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

There is now a poll at the top of this page.

I expect that most everyone will vote YES.

Those who vote NO, post here with what exactly you don't understand.
    Though it is fairly self explanatory, I will clarify if necessary.
    - Mario

Questions?

one thing not all the pages in the bgb work.

That is a legitimate issue TX.
    It changes though as the sections are being reformatted and organized a chunk at a time.
    It is being worked on though, I assure you.

If anyone has need of a specific system section they are always free to request that someone help by posting it.
    - Mario

Questions?

Rats, I was hoping that mods were clairvoyant like they are over at PsychicTech.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Too many big words for me to understand.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

I voted YES, but by no means am I a mechanic or ever claim to be one. I try to work things out by myself and I doubt i have all the tools to test everything .... but I'm sure I could find them in someone's garage. Thankfully I haven't needed to ask for help yet .... but if/when I do hopefully you will all understand that I really don't have a clue about engines. Wiring, Computers and Stereo's are a COMPLETELY different story.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Siyx View Post
    I voted YES, but by no means am I a mechanic or ever claim to be one. I try to work things out by myself and I doubt i have all the tools to test everything .... but I'm sure I could find them in someone's garage. Thankfully I haven't needed to ask for help yet .... but if/when I do hopefully you will all understand that I really don't have a clue about engines. Wiring, Computers and Stereo's are a COMPLETELY different story.

More a reference to people who keep asking how to fix somethings and wont bother to buy or borrow the necessary items to perform the job.
    - Mario

Questions?

Searched and couldnt find the answer to this stupid question. What does BGB stand for?
    1992 Celica GT Convertible

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Big Green Book

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Ahh so I'm safe from flaming ..... for now

Others, Not you.

Look at it from my perspective:
    Someone asks "How do I fix this"
    I tell them how.
    They say "It's fine"
    I say how do you know?
    They say "I'm just sure it isn't the problem"

Me: Did you test it?
    Them: NO

After I have wasted a week or more trying to puzzle out their problem...
    Very frustrating.
    - Mario

Questions?

Wait a sec . . . I'm 32 years old and I'm NOW just finding out that I'm not the center of the universe?? WTF!

Poisson, you're just slightly off-center!

As long as Canadians know they're not the center of the universe, Americans know they're not the only ones in the universe, and Europeans know they can't just dictate the universe; we can all grasp these simple rules.

We were the center of the Universe ??? OMG where have i been ???

@Shadowlife - I know how you feel, I'm IT tech support ... just think of what i have to deal with all day long. Man do i have some stories that would ......

*i will not hijack this thread, i will not hijack this thread, i will not .... *

Others, Not you.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

As a caveat to testing what we suggest to test...

If you're a noob, which we all were at some point or another, regardless to whether or not you'd like to admit it... if we suggest that you test something even if it seems entirely unrelated to the problem... test it anyway. I'll be the first to admit to having made that mistake once or twice. So please learn from the err of my ways. We're not going to steer you wrong in car repairs just to mess with you, therefore there's probably a reason why we're suggesting what we are. So lets keep that in mind as well.

MC
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

I'm basically a grumpy old man....

I am more than happy to help anyone that asks.
    Many many members call me direct on my phone for help.
    I am always glad to get someone up and running.

However, I have no tolerance for laziness or stupidity.
    Not saying that anyone is, mind you.
    Simply this:
    If I am going to make the effort to figure out the issue,
    it requires that you do the legwork/testing on your end.

Automobiles don't run on hopes and wishes (Except maybe Ford cars, but that is a different tale..)
    They are honestly quite simple. The entire troubleshooting process is this:
    Breakdown of larger systems into their smaller component parts and/or systems.
    This allows one to keep narrowing down the list of possibilities until you get to the root issue.
    See? No magic

I think people just get a bit overwhelmed by looking at something they may not have any experience with.
    This is where we as a forum/community come in. If we are able to help, we do.

Thus comes the definition of HELP, in this case:
    From the Webster Dictionary

1 : give assistance or support
    2 : to be of use or benefit

In no usage of the word does it imply DO.

I hope this clarifies a couple things.
    - Mario

Questions?

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

"We are not babysitters. We won't spoon-feed you information.
    If you found this forum, you can obviously navigate the internet.
    This means that you do YOUR part in the information gathering process."

Waahh!
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Thanks.
    DiscoDan was a member here as well and is/was a really cool cat.

Plus, all of the BGB is here for the 5g sections to my knowledge.

If you find a part that is not there or is broken, please post that info in the Website Implementation Forum here.
    - Mario

Questions?

Hello, I have an 89 Toyota Celica Gt (2.0L DOHC) that I use for Hornet class racing. (4 cylinder short track racing, unmodified engines.)

The Problem - recently the car began overheating and eventually after finding hydrocarbons in the radiator it was revealed that the head gasket was the cause for the issue. After planing the head and installing new hardware (gaskets etc) I have got the engine running and timed the car. The specs call for 10 degrees to which has been set with a timing light. Unfortunately the throttle response seems extremely delayed and the car wont hit the high rpms required for racing purposes, thus generating hardly any power. (it feels as though I'm in fourth gear when I am in first.) The car had plenty of power before the head gasket job. The only other modification I made was removing the Catalytic converter when I had the exhaust off, as the single O2 sensor is located above the cat anyways. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Trav

There is a lot of stuff to take apart and put back together again after a head is removed and reinstalled. I would look very carefully at all the parts removed to see if some vacuum lines remain unconnected, or if some vacuum lines are connected to the wrong things.

Also, double check your timing belt (cam timing to crank). Getting this right is tricking on 3S-FE & 5S-FE engines. Sometimes there are 2 marks at the camshaft pulley, and the timing is set on the wrong mark.

Quote Originally Posted by poopsicklepop View Post
    Hello, I have an 89 Toyota Celica Gt (2.0L DOHC) that I use for Hornet class racing. (4 cylinder short track racing, unmodified engines.)

The Problem - recently the car began overheating and eventually after finding hydrocarbons in the radiator it was revealed that the head gasket was the cause for the issue. After planing the head and installing new hardware (gaskets etc) I have got the engine running and timed the car. The specs call for 10 degrees to which has been set with a timing light. Unfortunately the throttle response seems extremely delayed and the car wont hit the high rpms required for racing purposes, thus generating hardly any power. (it feels as though I'm in fourth gear when I am in first.) The car had plenty of power before the head gasket job. The only other modification I made was removing the Catalytic converter when I had the exhaust off, as the single O2 sensor is located above the cat anyways. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Trav

We have a section for you to post your issues it is called Maintenance and Repair.
    Post there.

Quote Originally Posted by 93celicaconv View Post
    There is a lot of stuff to take apart and put back together again ....

I appreciate your being helpful, but please do not answer any further questions in this thread, as this is not what it is intended for.
    It is meant to be an explanation of how to post (in the proper areas) in order to obtain help.
    Thanks bud
    Last edited by Shadowlife25; 07-26-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    - Mario

Questions?

Thanks
    Last edited by sick90celica; 10-11-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Posting in the proper section is usually a good start. This is an informational thread only.
    Welcome to CelicaTech and I am sure someone can help you out once you post up in the proper section (Maintenance/Repair/Troubleshooting)
    - Mario

Questions?

Thread Information