CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Engine shakes at idle after changing clutch

Hi everyone,

I have changed the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing on my 5th gen celica with the 2.2l engine. Now there is a vibration throughout the whole car. I can see the exhaust shaking as well. The shaking stops when I rev the engine higher. Also the shaking seems to be worse at certain rpm like 800 rpm and 1000 rpm. I put in a new flywheel. Do you guys think it is not balanced ? I am thinking about taking it apart and putting the old flywheel back in to see if it stops the vibration. Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

How are the motor mounts? In my experience shaking and vibrations that disappear at higher RPMs indicate a fail(ed/ing) motor mount. if the flywheel was unbalanced I think you'd see/feel a vibration at all RPMs and the motor would chew itself to pieces.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I chased a similar vibration on my last 5th gen and it turned out to be a bad engine front (passenger side) motor mount. It didn't look bad in the car and it didn't even look bad after coming out, but after replacing all the other mounts to no avail, I went ahead and did it. Car never had a vibration again.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

Sure you centered the clutch?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sefiro View Post
    Sure you centered the clutch?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

If the clutch disc wasn't centered the transmission wouldn't of mated up properly (speaking from experience...heh). I've had all 3 situations arise -- flywheel bolts came lose, bad motor mounts and mis-aligned clutch disc. When the disc was mis-aligned I couldn't get the transmission to properly mate up.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. All 4 mounts were changed when the clutch was changed. I think some bolts might be loose, I guess I will have to take it apart and tighten everything to see if it solves the engine shaking problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    If the clutch disc wasn't centered the transmission wouldn't of mated up properly (speaking from experience...heh). I've had all 3 situations arise -- flywheel bolts came lose, bad motor mounts and mis-aligned clutch disc. When the disc was mis-aligned I couldn't get the transmission to properly mate up.
    If the disc was misaligned then it would be impossible to get the transmission to connect to the engine right ?

Sounds exactly like when I got my car off ebay and shipped it. Did the same thing. The idiot I got it from didn't even have a bolt in the front motor mount. After I put a bolt in it wouldn't start at all till I put a ground strap on it. Many other things like reversed upside down door lock cylinders. The kid was joining the Navy. He probly sank his ship by now.
    69 Mustang coupe 351W edelbrock performer top end, 89 Mustang GT TF top end BBK SSI intake, 90 All Trac JDM 92 swap! "Fiery the angels rose...Deep thunder rolld' around their shores. Indignant, burning with the fires of Orc."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Yeah my money is on a loose motor mount.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Okay so I have tighten all the bolts on the mounts and the engine still shakes at idle. I guess this weekend, I will have to take the transmission apart.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Did you use stock mounts or something harder, like polyurethane?

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Quote Originally Posted by CriScO View Post
    Did you use stock mounts or something harder, like polyurethane?

I used stock mounts. Hopefully it is just loose flywheel bolts or some bolts not tighten.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by st184newbie View Post
    I used stock mounts. Hopefully it is just loose flywheel bolts or some bolts not tighten.
    I can't find my video or pictures anymore -- they're filed away somewhere. If your flywheel bolts were lose you'd hear one hell of a racket.

Her Build thread -->

Quote Originally Posted by 4thgenceli View Post
    I can't find my video or pictures anymore -- they're filed away somewhere. If your flywheel bolts were lose you'd hear one hell of a racket.
    Hmmm... I can't hear anything bad, the engine shakes so much that the entire car shakes and the exhaust pipe shakes too. Anyway I will take the transmission out this weekend and put everything back. Hopefully it will solve the issue. If not, I will need to look elsewhere. I think it is related to me changing the clutch because it was fine before I changed the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by 90ToyAllTrac View Post
    Sounds exactly like when I got my car off ebay and shipped it. Did the same thing. The idiot I got it from didn't even have a bolt in the front motor mount. After I put a bolt in it wouldn't start at all till I put a ground strap on it. Many other things like reversed upside down door lock cylinders. The kid was joining the Navy. He probly sank his ship by now.
    That's some funny shit lol

It definitely sounds like a loose or bad engine mount. If they're aftermarket it's possible one is bad right out of the box.
    How is your ignition stuff? Distributor cap? Rotor? Did you loosen one of the plug wires?
    If you can't find any loose bolts on the engine mounts take a look at that stuff.

Thread Information