CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Lifetime Member shreddr69 is on a distinguished road
    shreddr69 has donated to the forums!

Default 2nd gen 3sgte swap in '88 all trac

Hi, so I'm new here and am not quite sure how this work.... I just got my 1st all trac but with a blown motor. I've read that best replacement motor for the st165 is the st185. My main issue aside from never having done a motor swap, is I really don't want to scoop my hood for the air to air intercooler, i'd prefer the water to air so I can keep the sleeper look and not cut up my hood. Plus I understand the water to air is more efficient. I just wanted some opinions on a good course of action. The motor I have in the car doesn't look stock, so I can't rely on having access to a stock exhaust manifold, etc. Also, being new to the forum, what is expected/ customary for site donations or help to other members? I don't have much knowledge about mechanics but I am somewhat inclined. Just wanted to know what to do so I'm not just leeching off of this forum. Thanks!

I think you can use the ST215 Intercooler, and that its a bolt on mod with the 2nd gen 3sgte, thats how you can retain the sleeper look, however, I think is will be more efficient with a hood scoop, I'm debating about adding a hood scoop to my trac just to help with heat...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alternate.eago View Post
    I think you can use the ST215 Intercooler, and that its a bolt on mod with the 2nd gen 3sgte, thats how you can retain the sleeper look, however, I think is will be more efficient with a hood scoop, I'm debating about adding a hood scoop to my trac just to help with heat...
    Incorrect.

The st215 intercooler is also a top mount air to air unit similar to the st185 motor.

The st205 motor however, is top mount water to air. There may be a clearance issue with the 205 IC in the gen4, but I'm not sure.

Another option you can do is to drop a fmic intercooler behind the bumper and leave the hood uncut
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

fmic intercooler, hmmm.... I'll look into it, thanks! I'm in California and need it to be smog legal so hopefully ( I assume fmic stands for front mount intercooler) the fmic won't be a smog issue. I'm nervous and pumped about this, my first engine swap and I appreciate all the help and opinions, thanks.

You will need to convert your wiring harness to work with the Gen2 engine.
    I had Dr Tweak of Phoenix Tuning (Tweakd Performance) do mine.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Yeah, I've been looking into that. I can solder pretty well and I found diagrams but it still looks scary. I want to do as much of this motor swap myself, just to learn as much as possible but the wiring looks scary!

Default about to start pulling the motor. Any starter tips?

I just got the car into the garage ready to be worked on. Any one got any starter tips for yanking a motor? I know to label everything and bag bolts, etc. but what should I do to start? The whole motor/tranny is coming out. Just wondered if any body had any tips on what or what not to do to start! Rock n' ROLL!!

Senior Member v8killer is on a distinguished road

Images

from the top and empty of fluids angled out then angled back in for sure remove the rad and anything you don't want to break be very careful of things like sensors and aluminum bits that might break on the engine itself.

the st205 ic is a really good oem ic core you will need to trim off some of the inlet to the ic core and the part of the hood thats just over the ic core its not that hard just be careful and you will be fine. but remenber that all the lines are bigger so i would say get the pump as well or a bosch water pump 12 volt, then get a very large heat exchanger and constant run mod on the pump.

i did all that minus the pump so thats soon to be added

black st165 sleeper- the v8 killin' 2.0L bottle of whoop-ass!
    mods: you wish you knew!
    "Straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" Colin McRae- RIP

Originally Posted by Luni
    Are you serious?

Jesus, you really should just get a fucking sportscar that was designed to go fast.

thanks!

Senior Member v8killer is on a distinguished road

Images

you can get the whole st165 stock engine swap for like 1100 shipped tho so concider too no matter what you hear the 1st gen engine can still make a lot of power

black st165 sleeper- the v8 killin' 2.0L bottle of whoop-ass!
    mods: you wish you knew!
    "Straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" Colin McRae- RIP

Originally Posted by Luni
    Are you serious?

Jesus, you really should just get a fucking sportscar that was designed to go fast.

Where can you find a first generation motor? I haven't seen em' Would it be a better idea to use a first gen.? How do you pull the intercooler off without making a big mess? Hey v8killer, you should hit me up when your cruzin' out to Watson. I work like 80 hours a week at the family business and I'm taking on a 2nd job here for a few months (just to fund the car!) But it'd be cool to kick it for a minute.

Venus Auto currently has 2 1st gen motors. Told me $500. It'd probably be about 700 shipped or a bit more.

Soon I'll be pulling my 1st gen, so if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask. I'm swapping in a 4th gen ST215 motor. Word of warning, nothing on the block will be usable from my motor though. Threw 2 rods but somehow I didn't pin or crack anything.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shreddr69 View Post
    Yeah, I've been looking into that. I can solder pretty well and I found diagrams but it still looks scary. I want to do as much of this motor swap myself, just to learn as much as possible but the wiring looks scary!
    It's not that bad. Luckily, the ST165 to ST185 is probably the "easiest" swap to do (when swapping across generations). The systems that they use are very similar. The biggest difference you will face is that the pinouts on the ECU are different, and the plugs at the sensors are different (mostly).

I have done a comprehensive write up on wiring the swap. Read this: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...3#post30010153

It is a little long, but it is very easy to follow if you do things step by step. The benefit of doing this is also that you can clean up your old, grimey wiring harness.

Quote Originally Posted by shreddr69
    Also, being new to the forum, what is expected/ customary for site donations or help to other members? I don't have much knowledge about mechanics but I am somewhat inclined. Just wanted to know what to do so I'm not just leeching off of this forum. Thanks!
    For donations, absolutely nothing is expected. We are a community and help because that is what we like to do. However, there are costs involved with running the site, offering new features, promotions, etc., so we do offer membership packages. Each package offers more features for you to make use of. You can read about the options here: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ghlight=donate

BTW - welcome to the site!
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Also, there are a few nice WTA intercoolers that fit fairly well. The ST185RC is a direct bolt on if you can find one, and the ST205 is also a good choice, but requires a bit of modification to fit.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

I think that write up will be a life saver, thank you so much for that! Also that vid clip of the celica whoopin' arse on the other ride is priceless!!

Shreddr - where you from?

IC- to keep your hood and sleeper look intact, one option is get grab a gt4 wta from a 165, 185rc or a 205.

SWAP - have a bunch of ziplock bags, sharpies, and that yellow scotch tape so you can write on it.

Have you thought of overhauling (piston rings and seals) on the existing motor instead of swap?

UT2 (SCW) Chan - Oakland, CA
    04 Duc Monster DS
    90 All-Trac/ GT4RC :: hydra 2.17 :: 880 :: sb46 :: 205ic
    400BHP @ 20#, low 12s

I'm from Watsonville. I guess I can just use my stock st165 intercooler but my motor is fried. There are no holes in the block but if I'm gonna pull it out and spend the money I'd rather get the extra 35 horsepower unless I can get that and more from a stock st165 rebuild/re-machined motor. I dunno, what do you think??

Thread Information