CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default [How-To] Wiring heated mirrors

Usual disclaimer; I won't take responsibility if you screw up your mirrors, your car, or yourself if you follow these steps and do something wrong/stupid. Sorry, but common sense really isn't common anymore.

To do this, I started out by following the thread "How to correct RHD mirrors to be used on LHD cars" by dups90gt. Once I got the mirrors off and attached wires to the heating elements I decided to pre-route the wire into the car for later installation. I also cleaned the mirrors thoroughly while I had the motors out getting all this right. It took a bit of time to get these steps right, that's why it's so clean.

First thing I did was de-pinned the connector on the mirror. To do so there are plastic tabs that hold each pin in place. Simply use a thin object to pull the tab up and push the pin out. Be sure to label your pins/connector so you re-pin it correctly.

Next you must remove a number of screws that hold everything in starting with the one that holds a plastic piece that the wire in place. There are 3 screws on the bottom (held in with loc-tite) and one more on the metal plate underneath.

With the connector off you can pull the wires out of the lower piece. You may also want to move the wire bundle out from under the metal tab in the last picture.

Now with the screws removed from the bottom, remove the 3 screws that hold the insides to the outer shell. This will allow you to remove the entire unit by lifting and rotating it.

Now with the unit out, you will see a small plastic cover over the motor. It is held down by 3 tabs. Gently pry them up to remove the cover.

Next, there are 2 small screws that hold the motor on the top. Remove them to pull the whole motor/bracket out.

Before I got the mirrors mounted I drilled 2 holes for the wires to pass through the plastic plate. I made sure to have enough wire to get into the car by going through the mirror like the rest of the wires. With the motor and bracket off, you can pass the heating wires through the gears and out through the bottom. The circuit board at the top of the gear can rotate a little bit to help move wires out of the way and make an opening for the new ones, just remember to move it back when you're done or the motor bracket won't line up.

Now you can put the motor back on top and replace the plastic cover.
    [IMG]//www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/5/1/0/0/sdc12024.jpg[/IMG]

Notice I left enough wire to have the mirror move and clear the cover.

Installation is now just reversing the whole process with the exception of routing an extra wire set.

Re-pin the connector and it's done.

In another few weeks I'll be installing the mirrors in my project thread and wiring them to the hatch defroster. I'll post those steps here once it's installed and tested.
    Last edited by Physlis; 06-13-2013 at 09:08 PM.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

^repped!

Great write-up!

Changed the thread title to say How-To & added to stickies. Good stuff!
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

LOVE you for figuring this out! These mirrors don't vibrate too, do they?

As far as I know they only power-fold and, by swapping the glass, heat too. They have a heating element like the rear window attached to them.

Once I figure out which part of the rear defroster I need to hook up to they'll work in sync with it.
    There will come a day when you stop questioning my obsession with my car, swords and guns. Everyday after that you will be thankful the zombies didn't get your brain.

1990 Toyota Celica GT-S
    ^

I've got the P/N for the Sonic Vibrate, Heating, Power Folding Mirrors:

87910‑2B331 - RH Mirror JDM

87940‑2B331 - LH Mirror JDM

I'd love to hunt down the vibrate button, I've only seen a pic of it once...

Will you be doing a heat test on these once they're wired in? Get some cold condensation going and see them clear up.

Nice!

RICE WHITE ALLTRAC

Thread Information