CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear caliper

Default Rear caliper

So I'm gonna make this short and sweet. My drivers side rear caliper has locked up on me. I got one from the zone but the banjo bolt would not thread into it. I went by Napa and theirs is the same way. The casting numbers match up but its like the thread pitch is different. Anyone run into this before and if so what did you do? It's a 92 trac. Any help is appreciated.

Went by another Napa today and my bolt wouldn't screw into the driver side caliper, which I need, but it would on the passenger side. I know the bolts are the same but can not figure out what the deal is. Is it possible all three had f'd up threads?

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Possible, but unlikely. Tried pulling a bolt from another of your calipers to compare thread size and pitch? AFAIK Toyota tended to use all the same banjo bolts on its calipers, but someone might have re-threaded your old one for whatever reason.

If necessary, I suppose you could always hit a junkyard to steal a banjo bolt from them.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

I called a dealership just to make sure that both sides were the same and as I figured they are. They checked it at Napa and its a m10×1.0 bolt and that's what it says it is on their computer. Not sure what to do at this point. Either try and tap the new caliper just in case the threads are messed up or get a repair kit.

As far as I know all four banjo bolts should be the same, so your caliper may have been rethreaded before you got your hands on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

The bolt threads into the passenger side caliper from Napa but not the driver's side. The bolt is the same size and pitch that its supposed to be according to toyota or at least the local dealership.

What did the NAPA guys say about the bolt not threading in? They might have a gauge there to check the thread pitch in their caliper. It is very odd that all three have had the same problem.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

He checked the thread on the bolt but honestly I don't remember if he checked the threads on the caliper. I think I'm gonna try and get all the places nearby to order one and maybe I'll be able to find one good one.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

I'd love to hear the explanation from the parts guys over why the threads on his two calipers are different.

But I'll again suggest you check your bolt against other calipers on your car.
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

So if the bolt has the same thread and pitch as toyota and part houses call for what is the point of taking one off another caliper? I'm just gonna have them order another caliper and rebuild kit and if it doesn't thread in easy on the next one I'm just gonna say f*ck it and rebuild the bastard.

Images

For comparison's sake.

You've tested three calipers, from what I've read. There's the one off your car. There's one from Napa which fits your bolt. And there's one from Napa which does not fit.

The question is a) why, and b) are there any more surprises?

The banjo bolt should be the same on all your calipers. If it's not, that's a concern. For all you know, someone jury-rigged something that can go catastrophically wrong. Brakes are not a place to have uncertainty -- and that includes the hydraulics.
    Last edited by Galcobar; 05-12-2010 at 07:46 PM.

If it drags on much longer I may do it but honestly I'm not that worried about it right now. I'm just waiting for my rebuild kit to get in. Should have it back together tomorrow.

I went ahead and rebuilt it and so far so good.

Thread Information