CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default New Owner and New Member

Just brought this 1989 Celica GT 'vert home this past weekend.
    She has 173k showing on the clock, but she purred like a kitten for the 40 mile drive home.

The owner passed away about 4 years ago and the car was only used occasionally after.
    It eventually sat idle (and not running) under a cover for the last year before I bought her.
    A little love, and a new battery brought her back to life. She is now my 'project car'.

Glad that I found this forum and I'm looking forward to learning all about these 4th gen cars from the folks here.

Here she is...

Last edited by Mega; 06-10-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Welcome to the site.

Good find!
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

thats a brilliant find. Looks good.
    Welcome aboard.

I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Excellent find!

Welcome aboard.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

that thing is clean and the top looks like it is in good shape

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Welcome! Looks really clean!
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Resident Japexican Ninjaneer
    bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney is just really nice bloodMoney's Avatar
    bloodMoney has been to an annual Dragon Meet! bloodMoney has donated to the forums! bloodMoney helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Nice Find! Welcome to the site
    -Shadow's Army- Ninjaneer/Resident 6g Killer-

'88 Alltrac "Patty"
    '90 Alltrac "Ellie"
    '96 GT "Abby" ~ RIP 11/17/2013
    '96 GT 'vert "Lily" ~ RIP 08/22/2015
    '04 LS430 "Alice"
    '98 GS400

Originally Posted by Hookecho
    I told him that he shouldn't be ashamed of being gay. He should be ashamed of stealing that ladies dick.

Senior Member v8killer is on a distinguished road

Images

omg i wish my body was that clean i hate you but i like that you got that car at the same time, i dunno i'm conflicted. welcome anyway

black st165 sleeper- the v8 killin' 2.0L bottle of whoop-ass!
    mods: you wish you knew!
    "Straight lines are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" Colin McRae- RIP

Originally Posted by Luni
    Are you serious?

Jesus, you really should just get a fucking sportscar that was designed to go fast.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Nice find, as everyone else said.

Since she is your project, what are your short and long term goals for her?

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Quote Originally Posted by 3tcpower View Post
    Nice find, as everyone else said.

Since she is your project, what are your short and long term goals for her?
    Good question.

Short term goal is to go over the car and replace all the fluids.
    Motor oil, tranny oil, flush cooling system, and whatever else I can find that is needed. None of that has been done for at least 4 years, so it is all due.
    I ordered a shop manual from Chiltons, so once it arrives, I'll know where to start.

This car is amazingly complete (and stock as a rock), especially for being 21 years old. My intent is to keep it that way. The car now lives in my garage and if I can help it, she will never see a wet road again.

I need to post a photo of the motor (I'll do that this weekend), as everything is there, and in place. I did a 'spray bottle and garden hose degrease', and she spiffed right up.

Longer term is to read as much as I can here about these cars. Where the maintenance issues are, and where to source parts is first on my list.

Beyond that, I'd like to find a local shop where I can have the body put back in as-new shape, and give her a fresh coat of paint. I don't want to take her to a typical collision repair shop where 'bondo and fast turn-around' are how they operate. I want a shop that still works with a hammer and dolly and welds in new panels rather than layering on gobs of filler. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

After that, my intent is to drive her, often... but only in good weather.
    1989 Celica GT convertible

welcome aboard!! great to see a new member willing to donate! nice find that is a great looking vert!

Originally Posted by DudeMan
    I'm like the energizer bunny on crack
    Parting out my celica-click

Your new car looks really nice.
    My present car

As promised, a few photos of the motor, and a couple of the interior.
    I need to apologize in advance... the car was in the garage, and the flash really didn't do its job.

If anyone wants to see her in sunlight, just ask and I will re-shoot them on a nice day.

Thread Information