CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default Operation Super Swap

so after taking the 5sfe as far as i was willing to i decided that it was time to swap the 3sgte into my car. i went with the 2nd gen 3sgte which i purchased from venus auto out of CA. the motor cost me $1550 and arrived yesterday(4-27-10). before i unloaded it from my truck i gave it a good rinsing. i could tell that the motor had been sitting on a concrete floor for awhile because there was a good amount of oxidation on the aluminum parts and rust on the pulley's.

so this is what i started with(for those that don't know). rebuilt 5sfe with i/h/e, cams, ported head with .050in milled for a 1 point gain in compression, a few other little mods and an safcII.

now i have this.

i spent the day prepping the celica and pulling the awd trans off the 3s. man that is one heavy ass transmission.

it's a good thing i have one of these.

it helps to make light work of the heavy stuff. so after breaking the trans from the motor i was able to get it on the stand . i pulled the intercooler and a few other things off so that i could get the wire harness off. i then pulled the valve cover and timing cover off to inspect the seals. i was absolutely amazed that there were no oil leaks.

the turbo is in good shape as well. no excessive shaft play.

so after i got the wire harness out of the celica i laid them side by side for comparison. the 5sfe harness is on the right. the extra 3ft of wire you see coming from the ecu plug end is for my safcII.

after that i pretty much called it a day. i'll work on the project some more next week. still have to order a fuel pump, a boost guage, boost controller, and a few other things. which i will do tomorrow. next week i plan to rewire the harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Sweet!
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Engine sounds like it was in basically the same shape that my 215 was
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

give u 50 bucks for the old motor

nice work though, keep it going
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

what boost controller you looking at?

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Don't mess with the SAFCII unless you have a reputable tuner and the $$ to get it done.

The 3sgte does not lend itself towards being friendly with that piece.
    It makes your afr's and timing go nuts.

I am sure there is a thread somewhere that expounds on this.

Anyhow, looking good so far!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

You have 7 days until the Dragon and you're sleeping? Get to work!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Mudhoney could use that old motor...

Looks good Bruce!

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    what boost controller you looking at?
    i was leaning toward the hallman pro.

http://www.boostcontrollerstore.com/...-Kit-p-19.html

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowlife25 View Post
    Don't mess with the SAFCII unless you have a reputable tuner and the $$ to get it done.

The 3sgte does not lend itself towards being friendly with that piece.
    It makes your afr's and timing go nuts.

I am sure there is a thread somewhere that expounds on this.

Anyhow, looking good so far!
    i'll just us it to monitor then.

Looks nice. Good luck with the swap. I may be selling my w2a setup and my ct20b after I get done with my project. If you're interested I'll give you a hell of an in-state discount.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

^^ yes, i want that. i'll drive down to get it. just let me know.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Awesome! Exciting to see all the swaps going on this spring.

For boost controllers, take a look at http://twosrus.com . $50, quality and operation is very good, and they support our community which is always a plus.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

It's gonna take a couple months to get the engine together and in but you've got dibs.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

^ good deal.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

so i went this boost gauge from Twos R Us.

i bought a TRE 255lph fuel pump. i opted for it being that it runs quiet.

Bugs was awesome enough to give me a good deal on a HKS EVC EZ boost controller. thank you my man.

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

I also went with the TRE pump for the same reason. Has been working great for over a year so far.

I also have a SAFC II that I have not connected yet. I am starting to 2nd guess the idea of using it. What is another option to control AFRs without going standalone?

What XMSN are you going to use?

~Chris
    Last edited by Carolina91GT-S; 05-01-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

if i do anything with afr's i'll use a wideband. i will use my safcII as a monitor for now. i like the interface. i'm not going to make any fuel adjustments with it.

as for the trans.

i'm going to run the auto and hope that it gives me a good 4 months. i would love to always run an auto trans to be honest. the celica is the only automatic vehicle i have ever owned and i like it. i'm going to run a stock motor and stock boost on my auto trans and see what happens.

the way i see it is that my trans is freshly rebuilt, and has handled the extra power that came from modding my 5sfe. it even handled the 75 shot of nitrous that i used before selling the kit. granted i wasn't always in the nitrous like i will be in the boost. i figure it might be able to handle a stock 3sgte. if it does i'll try to push it to the limit. if it doesn't then i'll swap. i'm more driven by curiousity than anything. so we'll see.

when i get through spending $4000 on home improvement projects i'll be able to get the trans that i want, but i would like to keep with the auto.

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

I hear you. My dishwasher, washer, dryer, and Oven all died within the last 2 months...and my Fridge is looking at me funny. I may have done my project stuff differently....forgies etc come to mind...if keeping the homefront running right wasn't costing $.

I'm interested to see how the Auto XMSN handles it. Keep us posted. Managing your AFRs won't be an issue if you stay stock boost. I am hoping to bump it up a bit and was hoping to use the SAFCII to control AFRs...

~Chris

"You'll never make it"

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

oh dang, i had that boost gauge too! i guess i should have mentioned it

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

what else are you holding out on? you have a pm mr.

Bruce, did you purchase your fuel pump already?

I told you I can get MKIV SupraTT pumps for $150 shipped right....
    I posted it, of that I am positive.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

today i tackled the wiring. i began by tearing off the wrapping on the loom and then i had to identify what wires i needed to run the auto trans. i just located both of the transmission harnesses and tracked down each wire to its destination on the loom. i was unable to find the pinouts for the 5sfe Auto w/ECT so i pulled the top off of the 5sfe ecu to get the pinouts from the board.

i then began labeling all of the wires and started cutting them away. after i separated the wires that i needed for the auto trans i then put them back together to form a separate wire loom.

i am going to have to run both the 5sfe and 3sgte ecu for this swap. the 5sfe ecu will control the transmission. the transmission will also be taking readings from the 3sgte's tps sensor, coolant temp sensor, and cold start injector. at first the thought of having to wire this up was intimidating, but after i started working on it i found it wasn't so bad. it's still a mild pita.

i have the main harness wired up with the pins for the transmission. i will put together a pinout diagram and post it later. i wired up the ecu grounds, solonoids, gear sensors, and ecu battery terminals. the speed sensor and trans sensors will be spliced in with the 3sgte body plugs.

so after finishing up the auto trans harness i had to decide if i was going to extend the 3sgte harness or run it through the driver firewall. i decided to go through the firewall. it seems much easier.

after a quick look under the driver side dash i noticed there was a factory cut out for the harness already in place for the right hand drive celica.

this is the route i will run the harness. there's plenty of room and the harness is plenty long enough.

i had to remove the windshield wiper motor and make a hole in the firewall to gain access that spot. it's a tight space to work in.

i feel certain that i can mount both ecu's in this area. one will be in the factory mounts and the other i will stand up on end and mount in front of the center console area.

this is what's left of the 5sfe harness after i raped it.

The Notorious P.I.G.

Images

here are some of the pinouts for the 3sgte. mine is a 92-93 ecu model.

these are pinouts for the body plugs. the ones next to the ecu.

i am going to make a pinout sheet for the 5sfe auto w/ect and post it here later.

Hey that looks familiar

I'm impressed with the decision to run both ECUs.

"You'll never make it"

Thread Information