CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Alternator troubles.

The other day while I was driving my 88 All-trac I noticed that the battery as well as brake and taillight lights came on but only around 3K rpm. I know that typically when they come on its a charging issue. So i turned off my radio and drove home, with the radio off i could go up to about 4k rpm before they came on.
    Today I tested the Alt at home with my multimeter and it tested 14V at idle with radio on, about 13V with radio and headlights and fog lights on and 12V with radio head/fog lights and Blower motor on. As I increased rpm so did the Volts up to 14V. I know that with everything on 12V is pretty low Right? But I was expecting when I was Revving it up to see the Alt cut out at some point, Causing the Lights on the dash to come one but it Didn't. Any ideas? Thanks

The brushes may be starting to wear out.
    Or the voltage regulator.

When electrical parts go bad they can work/not work/work for a while, it's not like a mechanical part that when it's broke it's broke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Figured it out. Tonight while driving as i would reach 4k my head light got super bright, so i figure the voltage regulator has gone out so the alt is overcharging the battery. Thanks for your help Alltracman.

when that happened to mine my alternator totally went out. and i replaced it and everything worked again. those lights went away too
    ST-184.. 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S(Sold)
    ST-165.. 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac(Project/weekender)
    ............ 1995 Acura Integra LS(Daily Driver)

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar is a splendid one to behold Galcobar's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Figured it out. Tonight while driving as i would reach 4k my head light got super bright, so i figure the voltage regulator has gone out so the alt is overcharging the battery. Thanks for your help Alltracman.
    You might find this useful: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...ator-going-out
    Men call cars "she" because it gives them at least one female they can claim to understand
    --------------------------
    Mazda Velocity Red paint; Eibach Pro-Kit; KYB GR-2; rear disc brake conversion; Suspension Techniques rear anti-sway bar; sixth-gen suspension arm conversion; Bosch E-code H4 housings

Thread Information