CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
    Lifetime Member shreddr69 is on a distinguished road
    shreddr69 has donated to the forums!

Default stripped axle allen bolt, need it out! HELP!!

So we were pulling apart my 88 all trac for an engine swap and one of the driver side axle bolts (the big allen bolts) stripped. Not the threads but the head itself. Should we just jam a big torx head in there and use the impact socket to jack it out or is there a better way? I need a new bolt anyway, so I'm not worried about the bolt but I'd sure hate to mess up my axle in any way. The car's older and sat for the last 8 years so I suppose I should have expected this to some degree but it's never a happy thing. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give. ROck on!!

Any time I have a bolt that gets stuck like that I always turn to my bolt outs like these http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

They work every single time. It wouldnt hurt to soak the bolt down in PB blaster first though.

You could also cut a slot in the bolt head and use a heavy duty screwdriver .... I think you get the idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I play well with others....
    Others, Not you.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RIalltrac View Post
    Any time I have a bolt that gets stuck like that I always turn to my bolt outs like these http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P

They work every single time. It wouldnt hurt to soak the bolt down in PB blaster first though.
    I have a set of these too, they are great! However, I am not sure they are big enough for this application? (if he's talking about the big f'er axle nut)

Is that what you mean? The 29mm big f'er? Were you using a proper axle nut socket? It is extra deep so that you avoid stripping. I just removed one that required a solid 700ft-lbs to pull, and we didn't strip. But if you are talking about a different bolt and not that nut, then maybe I'd recommend something else.

If you weren't using a deep socket, go get one from an auto-parts store, they will have it. Might be in a different spot than the regular sockets.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

I think he's talking about the allen head bolts that hold the inner part of the axle to the output shaft on the transmission.....

I would agree though on the axle nut bit, those are definately far too small to tackle a job like that. Plus if you round off an axle retaining nut....your doing it wrong....

Yeah it's the smaller allen head bolts. Thanks for the tips, We're goin' at it this evening so I'll post how it went tomorrow. Thanks again!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Ahh, crappy. Good luck.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

You could slowly back it out with a set of vice grips or try. Be sure to order new ones before you do it tho so you can reassemble it when you get it out.

And dont forget to locktite them when reassembling them.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

I'm not sure I can fit vice grips on it but I'll try. All these ideas are cool.

vice grips didn't work, I've got those stripped bolt sockets from sears I'll try today but the bolt is round. If those don't work then it's the grabit extractor and if THAT doesn't work I'll dye grind a slit across and try to get a screw driver or a bar in there and twist it off and if that fails, I guess I'll cut the bolt head off and pound the axle until it falls off. If anyone knows where to get axles for these all tracs please let me know. This bolt is starting to mess up my week, LOL!

how about welding a nut to the damaged bolt and removing with a socket??

Why dont you just pull the flange out with it so you remove the entire axle assembly? You are going to lose a bit of gear oil but thats no big deal.
    Red st165
    White st165
    Black st165 (finally gone)

That's what I'm trying to do but the inside of the alan bolt stripped and the only way I've found to get it off was to cut the little pest. We've tried welding something to it, it broke off, vice grips, that was a joke, a torch, no dice, then a cutting disk and that worked. So we're on our way. Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by shreddr69; 05-25-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Thread Information