CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Tools

Default Best Tools

No, this isn't a contest for the mods...

I am talking hand tools, and not of the flesh variety. I destroyed another Craftsman tool today, and every time I go to get them replaced, I get one from China.

Do they make any decent tools in the USA?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think there is a sub-forum for this type of question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus20v View Post
    I think there is a sub-forum for this type of question.
    Don't I have to be more appropriate on there?

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

at least you get it replaced for free

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Quote Originally Posted by donteatbugs View Post
    at least you get it replaced for free
    That is why I always buy with the guarantee. It just gets annoying constantly breaking sockets, wrenches and pliers. I'd rather the tool didn't explode while I was working on something. I don't like making that many trips to Sears. Besides, I get warm and fuzzy when I think about "Made in the USA".

See forum here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99

But until Murg moves it-

I love my Husky tools, never have a problem with them and they have a good comfortable design. I gave up on Crapsman about 5 years ago when they started putting square edges on wrenches- wtf?

My replacement breaker bar looks like it was extruded from the Iron Giant's ass. Forged by one armed orphans versus the vastly superior political prisoners. The notching in the head shows the extreme precision of a their mongoloid workforce.

I have two main tool sets. Craftsman and Great Neck. Yes, the one from Auto Zone. My GN set is chrome plated, and takes a lot of abuse. I have put them on air tools, thrown pieces, etc. I have yet to even see a ding in them.

Rev Over 9000...Safely Now donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs is a glorious beacon of light donteatbugs's Avatar
    donteatbugs has been to an annual Dragon Meet! donteatbugs has donated to the forums! donteatbugs helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. donteatbugs helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. donteatbugs helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

i dont break many craftsman tools. i hate their rachets though. the profesional series is ok though. i use gear wrenches 90% of the time too. they carry the same warrenty as craftsman.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #3

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

<----- Pondering a temp ban for the "tool" comment...

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by grayscale View Post
    See forum here- http://www.celicatech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99

But until Murg moves it-

I love my Husky tools, never have a problem with them and they have a good comfortable design. I gave up on Crapsman about 5 years ago when they started putting square edges on wrenches- wtf?
    Or me

I usually stick with Craftsman. Yes I've broken them, but not often. It's more of using the right tool for the job

Last socket I broke was a normal 17mm, directly connected to an impact wrench trying to pull off a crank bolt. Obviously I should of used an impact socket, but I couldn't find one.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

In my opinion, lots of stuff made here in the US is no longer quality.

Hell, they can't even label the stuff properly: Made in USA vs Made in THE USA

I like the latter, personally.

And our cars aren't even American, just branded.

My air tools are name brand shit:

--MAC air drill
    --BluePoint die grinder
    --IR impact
    etc

I have lots of ChannelLock wrenches and sockets. The smaller ratchets blow balls, but my 1/2" is fine. Sockets are really good.

Lots of my spanners are Craftsman. Great stuff. Screwdrivers are Craftsman. My Torx drivers are Snap-On, and they're essential for working on a lot of Euro shit. Kind of pain at first but you get used to having everything be Torx though. The nice thing about Torx is that you rarely strip them.

I have never broken a Craftsman tool. I have however bent a few screw drivers and have had them all replaced free of charge.

I like Craftsman stuff.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

Quote Originally Posted by VikingJZ View Post
    And our cars aren't even American, just branded.
    I would buy tools from Japan. I just find so many things manufactured in China to be piss poor nowadays. I am tired of one manufacturing company making the same thing for 4-5 different labels.

The Stanley, Dewalt, Craftsman and Kobalt utility knives are all made by the same low quality factory in China.

Pb blaster zip ties and duck tape are all you need!
    1990 GT-S

Current Mods:
    D2 Coilover kit, 95 5sfe w/gasket kit head to toe & water pump & oil pump& timing kit, Camry headers, custom CAI, Euro H4 conversion (Autopals), Headlight control mod, Integra wing swap, Cobra Alarm, Hood lock/starter disable, Quick release aftermarket steering wheel, Pioneer p8600-MEH, and Air horn(lol).

I use a mix of tools from from Craftsman, to no name crap from Harbor Freight/Northern Tools. Most of the stuff from Harbor Freight is stuff that doesn't have moving bits, like breaker bars and impact sockets... or my 18" adjustable wrench.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

i use craftsman and matco.

wtf are you doing to break ratchets, wrenches, and how the fuck do you destroy pliers?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
    i use craftsman and matco.

wtf are you doing to break ratchets, wrenches, and how the fuck do you destroy pliers?
    My Celica has personally eaten those. I broke the breaker bar, not the socket, on my drive-axle nut. Shattered the end, it was amazing. I got wise and stopped getting basic sockets, everything is impact grade.

Wrenches have been destroyed over stuck nuts and bolts all over the car. I soak the harder ones in PB Blaster, and give them a good scrub down with wire brushes. I haven't broken any open ended wrenches, these are all closed end wrenches that crack and break open.

I can't remember what I was trying to loosen with the pair of pliers, but the fulcrum pin sheered and I was left with two plier halves.

Thread Information