CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 3SGE into AW11

Default 3SGE into AW11

some on here are aware of my project... its been 3 years in the making, and is nearing the finish line!

it all starts with a 1986 Toyota Mr2. the poor 4AGE never stood a chance at long life, once the car was under my ownership. with 3 years of daily abusive driving, the 4AGE finally sang its final note.

prior to that event, i had already realized that just getting a replacement 4AGE would not suffice (longevity) or allow me to increase the limits placed upon my Mr2 because of the 4AGE. yes, i did reach the limit of the 4AGE... it is not just a HP limit, but more a torque limit than anything else.

so, after doing many hours of reading/research on different engines that i could run, and the overall characteristics of each engine, i settled on the 3SGE. this engine was chosen also because of the fact that it is 100% smog legal here in california, runs on 87 octane, is very inexpensive, parts are relatively easy to come by, etc.

i will post many pictures later that detail it from only moments after the engine arrived into my grubby hands, until where is rests currently.

i've already detailed much of the progress on Mr2oc, but most of the replies were those of unthinking 'kids' that didn't even bother to read my entire post before responding. basically, in the vein of 'get a 20v 4age' or 'get a turbo' etc. again, basically, its them not reading.

and with that, i'll close for the moment. later tonight, i'll post photos and more details as per how i came to the conclusion to use this engine.
    Independent AMSOil Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

just playin with ya man. I read that you'll post them later. But for the tease. Can't wait to see it. Is this a dd, dedicated track car, or both?
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

^srsly

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

these first 6 pictures are from just moments after it arrived! you can see all the grime, dirt, etc that is layering the engine. and yes, it was from an Automatic Celica GTS.

it had an original 88,xxx miles on it. the previous owner was the literal 'little old lady' sort of deal. the car was totaled when an idiot plowed directly into the rear and wiped it out. i bought the complete engine with uncut harness for $450 total.

photos of some of the brand new parts i purchased for it.

brand new oil pump, water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner & spring. i also purchased the complete gasket overhaul kit (not pictured).

here are photos after the complete overhaul/rebuild of the engine.

SHINY!

the absolute LAST photo of my AW11 with the 4AGE/C52 setup. it has served me well.

photos of what the engine looks like currently... i have brand new timing belt covers too! i need to buy the '3SGE' badge too...

just moments before the initial 'test fitment' was done...

and yes! there is PLENTY of room for it to fit.

and THIS is why i cannot have another 4AGE in my AW11... this is result of me driving a low compression 4AGE (3 rib block) with 89 octane. it simply could not give me enough 'oomph' out of corners. so, i got very accustomed to sitting a hair under redline mid corner, to keep the balance of my Mr2 stable and manageable.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

SWEEEET! You FUBAR'd those rings.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Very cool. FYI doug, mr220v is doing a beams into an 86 right now.

last week, i was fiddling around with trying to make sure i had a good idea of what was missing etc. turns out one of the bolts that holds the EGR bucket to the intake manifold was snapped off inside. SUCKY.

so, last weekend, my wife, a buddy of ours and i went to pick n pull. i got another intake manifold, an exhaust manifold, and tons of misc nuts and bolts... oh, and i FINALLY have all of the fuel rail stand-offs! now i just need to source some 3sge injectors, then send them off to witch hunter to have them balanced.

today i will be test fitting the replacement intake manifold and exhaust manifold. woot woot!

alrighty... did some work on my 3sge this morning. here are the photos...

original intake manifold

original intake manifold

replacement intake manifold - used a bit of degreaser and a small brush

replacement intake manifold - used a bit of degreaser and a small brush

both intake manifolds - side by side

both intake manifolds - side by side

rear of the engine

under the intake manifold

top of the engine

Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

looking good man, i cant wait to ride in her
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Nice work man.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

one thing i just realized... i've not posted pictures of the car itself!

so, here is a photo of it the day is came home with the new wheels and tires. oh, that was SOOO long ago...

full set of Kosei K1's with 205x50x15 Falken Azenis RT615's... of course, 2 1/2 months later, the tires were nearly bald and a VERY short time later, the engine gave up the ghost... and its been sitting ever since.

an age old dilemma was just solved! i was wondering if a 'non-a/c' tensioner existed, as my 3SGE AW11 will not have a/c at all, and the a/c belt also tensions the alternator. well, i did some fiddling this morning and, as it turns out, a different tensioner is not needed! i just need the shorter non-a/c belt.

i also mounted the oil pressure sensor and the engine hook near cylinder 4, as well as the alternator and accompanying brackets/tensioners. its actually looking like a nearly complete engine!

so the vacuum lines is the last large task. and then i get to learn where all the plugs from the wiring harness fit onto it.

then comes the joy of mounting it inside the AW11 chassis and fidgeting with the front and rear engine mounts ever so slightly...

i must say... i can ACTUALLY see light at the end of this tunnel... its damned odd too.

flywheel issue will be resolved soon (hopefully). then the whole setup will go together, and be placed into the engine bay.

once this happens, there ABSOLUTELY will be photos of the sexiness that is my 3SGE resting inside my AW11.

and once it runs and has gone through its 3000 mile break-in period, i will be able to terrorize the pesky ricers in this area.

new Clutch Masters throw out bearing installed on a very dirty s54 transmission.

new Sachs OEM flywheel installed! (thanks go to Jordan for finding it local and half the cost of the other local parts store!)

brand new Clutch Masters Stage 1 clutch installed!

engine and transmission united! WOOHOO!!!

engine and transmission united! WOOHOO!!!

clutch slave cylinder installed - just arrived today from ChicoRaceWorks! (thanks to josh for shipping it to me on such short notice!)

just found the bolts that hold the engine and transmission together inside my AW11... and now the engine and transmission are bolted together! OH HELL YEAH!!! this is HUGE progress for my swap!
    Last edited by not12listen; 05-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.

thanks for the props man, i'm glad i could help and i'm glad i found you 1 more engine to trans bolt. P.S. thats 1 sexy looking beast
    ST165

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog82 View Post
    thanks for the props man, i'm glad i could help and i'm glad i found you 1 more engine to trans bolt. P.S. thats 1 sexy looking beast
    cock! i give credit where credit is due. be it GOOD or BAD.

Josh at Chico Race Works is the man.
    Everyone should do business with him.

That is all.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

after some 'lack of motivation' and 'too busy with life' time, i finished the vacuum lines today! i double checked all of the vacuum diagrams i have and it appears that everything is exactly where it should be. now, i just need to run the throttle body coolant lines (yes, i will use these), replace all of the coolant lines, and put that setup into my AW11.

i must say, it feels GREAT to know that the vacuum lines are finished and that i do not have to worry about them anymore.

i used all brand new vacuum hose too. 5/32's. the stuff that the local store carries has the same inner diameter as factory, but the outer diameter is HUGE!!! i'll take comparison photos later on and post them.

good stuff
    ST165

the intake manifold and fuel rail were removed today and dropped off at the local machinist shop for a thorough cleaning!

the full set of injectors were shipped off to witch hunter performance today, and should arrive there friday!

and MANY THANKS to Jaydog82 for the info on the axles... the axles that were ordered today and will arrive friday!

HELL YEAH! huge progress made today!!! pix will be posted once the stuff comes back into my hands!

sweet, i cant wait to ride in it and i bet you cant wait to drive it
    ST165

waiting for this car, is something that i am unfortunately, very accustomed too.

intake manifold, fuel rail and the axles all arrived back into my hands today!

now... i just need those injectors.

photos coming up shortly!

Axles!

Cleaned Fuel Rail

Cleaned Intake Manifold

Cleaned Intake Manifold - Intake Port

Cleaned Intake Manifold - Intake Runners
    Last edited by not12listen; 07-03-2010 at 04:50 AM.

completely disassembled the clutch slave bracket, primered it all, then put on a coat of black Rust-o-leum. i'll post pix later.

btw - i entirely suck at spray painting (never tagged when i was younger...), and i'm sure someone will see mistakes i've made or bits i missed. it happens.

i'm just happy that it looks a LOT cleaner and that it wont rust.

oh yeah, i also hosed the throttle body assembly with loads of de-greaser and wiped it down... MUCH cleaner!

nice
    ST165

old injector VS Witch Hunter cleaned injector

hot tanked fuel rail with the injectors installed

fuel rail and injectors installed

TVIS and intake manifold installed

fuel rail and intake manifold installed

intake manifold and throttle body installed

intake manifold and fuel rail installed

cleaned throttle body

recently painted (Rust-Oleum) clutch slave cylinder

Thread Information