CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Search Nazi's - What NOT to do

The Search Police do not live here
    This is starting to become a bigger problem here, AND it's one of my pet peeves. Read on to find out why.

The Search Police, or the folks who will reply to a thread with some variant of "SEARCH, NOOB!!!" are useless at best, and actively undermining the community at worst. WTF? How is that, you ask?

Try searching on common questions on other forums. You don't even have to restrict it to Celicas, Toyotas, or cars, for that matter. Guess what you get in your search results? Hundreds, sometimes thousands of threads, where the question is asked and promptly answered by the search police. But can you actually find the answers any more? No, because the search results have been diluted by the search police to the point that the originally common answers are now obscure!

Furthermore, how do you teach someone better behavior? I can assure you that punishing someone who doesn't know any better is not the ideal method. They need to understand why it's wrong - punishment is reserved for the ones that know better and misbehave anyway.

So, when a thread pops up, the answer is obvious, and you feel the urge to vent "SEARCH, you MORON"... DON'T. First of all, you're actually damaging the community. If you don't care about that, I'll also drop on your sorry ass like a ton of bricks.

Instead, explain to them how to search, suggest search terms that you have already tested, possibly mention the tip of using an asterisk to enable 3 letter terms. This will result in fewer silly questions, and it will prevent the database from being littered with dead end threads. I realize this takes extraordinary levels of patience and tolerance, and not everyone will be up to it. Even those that are willing to help cannot do it all the time - so if you cannot give a reply the time and attention it requires, don't post.

*from SupraMania's GrimJack*
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

One of my pet peeves too, thanks for posting it, I completely support this idea.

My other pet peeve is people calling other "noobs" or any name for asking questions. If I was a moderator/operator, I'd ban those fools on the spot.

Just the other day someone asked for opinions on a turbo from ebay, he was called a noob amongst other things. Why do people feel the need to insult someone for asking a question? I know I've been interested and have asked questions regarding them, and had it not been for ChrisD's response to my question I wouldnt have stayed in this community as no one else had anything intelligent to add. Although most people here are very cool, I find a few people in the community act like haters and love to post what they hate and arent helpful in anyway. I ignore them entirely and wont acknowledge them with a response.
    Last edited by sodap0p; 03-23-2010 at 06:05 PM.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

I see your point Soda.

The "noobs" thing though is most often used in a friendly fashion.
    It just means "new guy".
    Usually there is no offense implied or intended, so it is best to look past that.
    - Mario

Questions?

What a thoughtful announcement. Let this be a reminder to everyone that we are a community; Not a club. Communities are inclusive and clubs are exclusive. Since this is but one forum amongst many in a rather small community we should do our best to be as inclusive as possible. That way our numbers grow as opposed to dwindle.

The above paragraph can be disregarded if we are talking about assholes. I HATE assholes.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

I support this 1000%....there is nothing worse than trying to get a question answered only to have some smart ass post back with "search noob". I too dislike the word noob as well, its rather derogatory....regardless of how you might be trying to come off...most dont try to come off that way and mean it the way it sounds. the only thing that I could add to this is... (and maybe it exists but I couldnt find it...I know search right....lol) Is there a sticky somewhere that lays out the finer tips of searching the site? Like are there special functions that can be used within the search feature by using certain symbols? I'm sure that would help people a lot.....2 cents.

i just love doing a search under my own name back in 2001 on NC.org i was a total NOOB!!!!!!

my favorite post "Whats a CAI?" or better yet "hitting the rev limiter" a vast amount of my knowledge i have gained fro these boards. Im sure i have been a member of the noob bashing search police, but from now on, ill at least answer their question...then send them into exile MUHAA HAHH AH AHHHAH
    2001 Celica GT-S Turbo 2ZZ-GTE
    1997 Supra TT 6 speed 2JZ-GTE
    1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ V6 hybrid
    1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

If you would SEARCHED you woulda found this has all ready been brought up!!

Nah I'm just playing. I like that this has been brought up.

Think about it this way. Someone is looking at buying a celica, probably 5th gen, and has a few questions before they buy. They google celica forum and find us. Pop in, register, and ask their questions. Now its our turn, there are two ways it can go down.
    1: We answer and give advise, this person is gratefull and ends up buying the celica and becoming our newest member.
    2: We bash him, he thinks all celica people are like that, doesnt buy the car and we dont get a new member.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

My opinion, is that by actually answering the question or helping the person, you are also making it easier for people to find the answer in the future if they search for something similar. Plus if the person is new, give them a break. They are new!

Either that, or I'll link to a thread where the topic may have been discussed in depth before...but usually with some context thrown in to help out.

Also a big pet peeve for me.

BTW - like Smaay says, we were all noobs once. I remember when I first joined the GT4 list on whatever that site was before yahoo bought it, I went back and sifted/read through a solid 30,000 posts. I remember thinking..."I don't even know how to change an exhaust...how the heck am I going to do anything crazy like these uber-guru's!" And now, hell, I'll do whatever on a car it doesn't really matter what it is. And that was 11 years ago when I first joined up on that list at the age of 15.

We all learn, just takes time.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

BTW thanks for the good words Steve. Glad to help.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

a lot of people who make their way to c-tech are new to forums in general. not to mention new to the grand world of owning a vehicle. so it's only reasonable to be polite and answer their question.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

A bit of personal reflection of my own. I remember back when I first joined up here, I was in a similar spot where ChrisD was... cept I knew what a CAI was. Lol but yeah, so I had a question that Murg actually chimed in with something along the lines of "This has been covered many times before, however the answer to your question is blah blah blah. I invite you to use our search function, as it can probably answer most of your questions so you don't have to wait on a reply from us." Ever since then I've seen my same topic come up several times. I did the exact same thing Murg did. I feel its the perfect example of what Mario's getting at. I've also found the search to be infinitely helpful also.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

wow!!! this is the most forward thinking and reasonable single item i've ever read ON ANY BOARD!!!
    Independent AMSOil Dealer

Lifetime Member Tecker184 is on a distinguished road Tecker184's Avatar
    Tecker184 has donated to the forums!

Images

Amen brother

On the other hand (not that I don't agree with this post, I do). People can help themselves by making an effort, not demanding answers, and not posting things like, "HELLO?? ANYONE??" if their question isn't answered in the first minute they post the question. That sort of "noob" behavior is what cultivates the "Search, Noob!" responses.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

+1 on Spoon's comment about reposting 2 minutes after the first post.

This is a great post Mario. I couldn't agree more. While the search function here is better than most boards it's still not perfect. Search functions on pretty much any board is somewhat limited at times and can be quite frustrating to use. With someone new to the community, that could potential drive them off. Murg's method of recommending the search function, tips on how to do it and then answering the question are probably the best tactic I've seen on any board.

One thing to keep in mind folks, we don't want to turn into a HONDA board with everybody being an asshole. There are plenty of those out there already!
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

And that is when they should also have looked here:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46643
    - Mario

Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlife25 View Post
    And that is when they should also have looked here:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46643
    Yeah, I read that. The problem is... anyone that NEEDS to figure out how to deal with the "old school guys" is never in a million years going to read that wall of text.
    ra·tion·al·ize /ˈręʃənlˌaɪz, ˈręʃnlˌaɪz/ Show Spelled [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, -ized, -iz·ing.
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

Meh.

I try, but lets face it, after years of answering the same questions patience wears thin.

That thing also has instructions for searching and finding relevant info before posting.

I am happy to help, but I will not do the work for someone who is too lazy to do it themselves.

Help me, help you.
    - Mario

Questions?

I don't think it'd be a bad thread to sticky somewhere, honestly.
    –verb (used with object)

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

I don't mind helping new members. I know first hand how shitty people on forums can be.

When I joined ClubLexus, I made a thread about me wanting an SC. I asked a few questions about what to look for (Common problems other than the basics.)

Boy, what a cold welcome I got. The first four responses were "SEARCH" "This has been covered SO MANY TIMES." "God, search for this!" "And then "SEARCH" with a link to the "rules."

Yeah, they could have simply posted a link to the common problems thread, which wasn't stickied.

My favorite reply from the cock knockers at CL was "Search harder" if someone said they couldn't find it.

Yes, search harder.

They banned an old guy for not being able to find anything, justifying it by saying he wasn't following the proper forum etiquette and rules in the TOS. I got put on a week account suspension for standing up for the dude.

VolvoSpeed is like that too, however Volvo Forums has the nicest guy that is an admin. It doesn't matter what your question is, he answers it without any animosity or disrespect.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

oh man... i've got a WHOPPER of a story.

i owned a 1982 Toyota Starlet (KP61). god i miss that car, but that's another story...

i was on kp61.net asking about my non-working tail lights, and asking for someone... ANYONE to take a photo of the fuse box inside the cabin. just so i had an idea of what i was missing, if anything. 3 months and NOT ONE RESPONSE.

it was horrible. thankfully, after only 2 days of actual waiting (ie. the weekend where i did NOT drive the starlet), i finally just said 'F IT' and put some random fuses in.

BING! the brake lights worked! needless to say, i was really put off by this.

some months later, my debt was piling up, and i sold the starlet.

Junior Member karl has a spectacular aura about karl has a spectacular aura about karl has a spectacular aura about

i find it interesting that it's usually the search nazis who are also the ones that bitch when someone revives an old thread- a thread that they found while searching.

Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac View Post
    Some people would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.
    bhahahahhahahahahh!!!

PRICELESS! i'm going to have to use that one. should i pay you royalties for it?

Consider it a freebie!
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Thread Information