CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

put a 'real' BOV in her, By-pass valves suck

from the picture it looks like your just venting anyway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

LOL, the MR2 BOV/BPV is one of the best designs out there and has been proven not to leak under even extreme boost levels due to it's design.

BTW, the only difference between a BPV and a BOV is that the discharge is recirculated - making this a BOV as it is vented to atmosphere.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

I wouldn't be too worried about the transaxle and halfshafts as long as you don't use drag slicks, and don't clutch dump. Alot of the older Toyotas are quite overbuilt in that department - I'm still on a stock diff other than the upgraded LSD, and stock halfshafts/stub shafts etc. in the rear end.

As a side note, looks really nice! I might be slightly partial to red cars that have black/chrome accents in the engine bay. I even painted my block red when I was doing the engine build.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    LOL, the MR2 BOV/BPV is one of the best designs out there and has been proven not to leak under even extreme boost levels due to it's design.

BTW, the only difference between a BPV and a BOV is that the discharge is recirculated - making this a BOV as it is vented to atmosphere.
    I learn something new everyday...

its still FUGLY....hehe

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Member rev_head will become famous soon enough

if anything while still running an afm you should be running a re-circulted BOV anywayz

still very jealous

i agree with this. ive bought two bovs (hks sequential bov, greddy type s bov) and i like neither one of them. i bought them to eliminate turbo flutter and seems like they are not that responsive. it takes a split second for the valve to release the pressure. now on the other hand, the stock bov for the st215 motor works supurb. just relocated it as close as i can to the turbo and it works much better than any other bov. it just doesn't give the kool woooosh sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rev_head View Post
    if anything while still running an afm you should be running a re-circulted BOV anywayz

still very jealous
    Our thought was to install it this way and then see how the car responded before committing to recirculation. So far so good. It runs and drives flawlessly.

Thanks again for the compliments guys! And Ryan, I totally agree with your thoughts on the color combination in the engine bay. Hard to beat IMO!
    1989 ST162 GTS with 185 engine

Read entire thread, great work.

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

For anyone that wants to run their FMIC like we did, the pipes above are what you need laid out there nicely for you. 7x90, 1x45, 1 straight pipe.
    I actually plan on routing my intercoolers piping the exact same way and I have a few general questions.

1. Some of your 90s look like they are different sizes, did you guys order them like that or cut them down yourselves?

2.Where did your order the couplers and bands?

3. It looks like ryan has Treadstones TR8 model intercooler and I'm considering the same one for my project. However, I noticed on Treadstones website that they offer this same model except the inlet is on top instead of the side. Now maybe I've missed something but wouldn't that make routing the hot pipe easier? I mean instead of wrapping all the way around the intercooler to the side, like most have it set up, it would just come down off the turbo almost directly into the top of the intercooler.

Hopefully that made sense. If not ill add a picture of the intercooler I'm talking about.

4. I can't see very well, did you mount the IC to the stock crash bar?

5. How long did it take to receive your downpipe from TCS Motorsports?

6. How long was the single piece of straight pipe you ordered?

If you'd like I can make a new thread so Ryans isn't cluttered.

These are the two different intercoolers I'm referring to.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

The TR6 is the one they ordered. TR8 is the one with the top inlet.

They ordered the bends, and then cut the pipes (as their 90* bends came with like 3 or 4" of straight)
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

^ Actually the TR6 and TR8 both come with a side inlet but either can be purchased with a top inlet instead.

Thanks, I had a feeling they cut the pipes down with that Princess Auto bandsaw but I wanted to be sure.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Interesting. I've only seen the TR6 as the side feeds.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

- Yep, I have the TR8 model:

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...R8+Intercooler

- Yes, we just ordered a bunch of 90* bends and cut them down with our bandsaw. It worked quite well.

- The couplers and bands (in addition to the pipes) were purchased from siliconintakes.com:

http://siliconeintakes.com/

- I'm curious to see how routing it with the top inlet would work. There's a chance you could run into space issues, but I suppose that's unlikely. Would it be easier? Hard to say, because the way we did it was super easy. Full mock-up on that side took us under an hour.

- Yes, the IC is mounted to the crash bar. It's a very simple setup - we had some steel brackets that were originally used to mount my fog lights, so we drilled some holes and bolted it in. It's very stable and strong:

- The downpipe came in about two weeks IIRC.

- I think we ordered a piece that was 5' long. Chris is doing his IC piping too, so we ordered extra pipe and the longer piece made sense. You could order one that's 2' long (from siliconintakes.com) and that would be plenty.

Hopefully that helped!

Also, a bit of an update. We installed the new polished heat shield the other day. I think it looks pretty badass:

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Heat shield's looking good! Will have to see some pics out in the daylight, the shield looks like it's sporting a "bike tire" paint job.

A top inlet would not be easy to setup. The radiator is in the way!

Ryan's got a TR8, I have a TR10.

BTW, to clarify the piping is all from Global Tech Engineering. For that straight piece, one length from them is plenty.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    A top inlet would not be easy to setup. The radiator is in the way!
    LOL, oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    BTW, to clarify the piping is all from Global Tech Engineering. For that straight piece, one length from them is plenty.
    Damn...I knew I forgot. Chris was more qualified to answer the question anyway since he placed the order.

I need to put on my sunglasses to look at your engine...man thats shiney

94 JDM ST205
    94 JDM SW20
    91 JDM ST185 RC

Thanks guys, I've wanted to do the side feed intake manifold/clocked turbo/front mount setup for a while now and I just wasn't sure about the details.

Feel a lot more confident tackling this in the next few months.

Engine bay is immaculate, I really like the black valve cover and red wires. I remember reading somewhere that Celica wires are black and MR2 wires are red, is that what you have?

Heat shield is very well done, I have to ask, is it a cooking pot?

Oh yeah, the radiator. I knew I was forgetting something, lol that's actually kinda funny now that I think about it. Its been so long since I've had a radiator or even an engine in my car I guess I'm starting to forget.

Images

Yep those are OEM MR2 wires.

No cooking pot, SS heat shield from Kelsport: http://cgi.ebay.com/Celica-GT4-3SGTE...item335ee6d842

lol, yep the rad is just one of those non-optional parts.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Thread Information