CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sleeker luvva. carlosfandango is on a distinguished road carlosfandango's Avatar
    carlosfandango has donated to the forums!

Default Completed Gen 4 Engine Transplants.

Please only post in this thread if you have researched, are in the process of or have completed an engine swap in a Gen 4 or if you have a link to similair projects. I would like to keep the thread informative and constructive.
    To help those researching an engine transplant into their Gen 4 Celica, please list your specifications and information and include why you chose the engine for the project, include what modifications you made to the drivetrain, brakes, tranny etc.

If you have specific questions or comments, please use the appropriate forums and post your concerns on a new thread.

thanks and good reading.

Last edited by carlosfandango; 04-09-2005 at 10:13 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Celica's - 90 185 JDM GT4 - 89 165 UK GT4 - 87 162 UK GT Convertible (nitrous 3SGE)

Now playing with;
    K6 Suzuki GSX1300R K6 Hayabusa. 9 sec qtr.
    RR-V Honda CBR900RR Fireblade.
    06 Mitsibushi L200 Animal. 410nm TQ @ 2,200rpm.

88GTS with 93 JDM 3SGTE (Celica), 93 JDM MR2 ECU (SARD), 88 3SFE trans

Its been along time. My friend gave me the car in 2000. I never had the money to do what I wanted until this year. The car in my garage for 4 years. Its lowered 2" with KYB struts and intrax springs. I powdercoated my brake calipers and redid my wheel wells with fresh undercoating. I also undercoated my entire bottom of the car. I dropped my gastank to install my new Warbrol 255lph and undercoated the gastank also(Rust prevention). I am planning to put a front mount on it. I am using a 3SFE manual trans with my 3SGTE. I have completed my swap. I am adding the finishing touchs to my baby. If you Gen4 owners need help, I can help you with anything to our cars. Here are some pics:

TurboTRDCelica

I got a ST185 2nd gen RC/CS/GRP A 3S-GTE in my 86 GTS with almost 350hp to the wheels, & a ST185 2nd gen 3S-GTE in my 87 GT & a ST205 WRC 3S-GTE in my late 88 Celica ST & a 20 valve 4A-GE in my 85 corolla 4 dr hatchback.
    You can see pics at http://www.4gcelica.net/gallery

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

ST165 with an ST185 engine / ECU / transmission - see http://www.gtfour.ca

Wiring - I adapted the ST185 harness to work with the ST165 systems, as decsribed on my web site. This is not the way I do this swap any more. I find it much easier to use the ST165 harness as the base, and then adapt the ST185 systems to it. Much time, hassle, and confusion is saved this way.

ST185 RC water to air intercooler - so that I didnt have to work in a hood scoop or FMIC system

CT20b turbo - wanted to use a smaller turbo so that the car would still be fun to drive on the street

ERL water injection - for safety

NGK BKR7E spark plugs - started to get missing once I made over 200whp, moved to one step colder and all is well

Wolfkatz side feed fuel rail - eliminated pressure drop across the fuel rail

Walbro fuel pump - OEM pump can not handle the power id like to run

Aeromotive FPR - enhances my tunability

TTE 1.4mm MHG - dont want to blow a HG when running increased boost

ARP head studs - holds the head down, no lifting

2.5" passion downpipe - a great DP, too bad it is no longer made
    3" exhaust - good size for making >250whp

Bailey motorsports DV30 BOV - tested to 60psi, plus it recirculates back to the intake

Clutchmasters stage 3 clutch - holds for those big 4WD launches at 5000rpm

Fidanza aluminum flywheel - again, wanted it to be fun to drive on the street. Light flywheel assists with quick spool up

Urethane reinforced engine mounts - no more engine movement

Ball/spring MBC - cheap and effective way to increase boost

Greddy catch can - gets rid of oil vapours that would gunk up the intake and IC

GAUGES! EGT, Boost, Fuel pressure, oil pressure, knock from J&S, water injection LED, injector duty cycle, a/f. I use them all too.

Electronics - J&S safeguard and Perfect Power SMT6. Gives me control for tuning

Brakes - SS braided brake lines

Suspension - Intrax lowering springs. Debating on what struts to use. Either KyB GR2 or AGX.

1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC

n00b SlikSx is on a distinguished road

Mine is finished now!
    ST202 3SGE Gen III + ST204R (S53) 5spd
    The engine is stock except for HKS iridium sparkplugs and K&N pod filter.
    Standard, these motors come with tuned extractors, forged crank, oil squirters in the bore, shim-under-buckets and ACIS (like TVIS on steroids). It has a boatload more torque than the Gen I and pulls all the way up to the rev limiter at around 7700 RPM.
    Waiting for more cash so I can get it tuned properly and get some figures on it.

Pic:
    my beloved children (click the links!) >
    /

[ I have the Toyota EPC - PM me if you want details, drawings etc. ]

serial biochemist mtp_69_i is on a distinguished road mtp_69_i's Avatar
    mtp_69_i has donated to the forums! mtp_69_i helped get Play's clutch job done.

Images

anybody done a 4AGE 20V swap into an 88 ST?

would I need to get a front cut and replace loom and ECU too?

Will it match up to the gearbox?
    Last edited by mtp_69_i; 03-24-2006 at 04:12 AM. Reason: didn't ask enough questions :)
    =================================

Originally Posted by Playfortoday
    First race video that EVER put a smile on my fast. Go little VW.
    bedtime for bonzo.

Images

Hey Slik, how much did the 3sge cost you and where did you get it? Is it an Aussie delivered motor or JDM? That is exactly the swap I'd like to do, with some work to the motor to get it up closer to 150-ish kw on the wheels.

bedtime for bonzo.

Nah, its JDM. I've got a thread on the conversion on the new toymods forum. If you're in australia too i dont think you can legally put a 4age into your celica - reduction in capacity is frowned upon. It'd suck anyway, for the same price you could do a gen 2 3SGE conversion.
    /

haha, can't believe my e-mail notification works after so long! havn't posted here for aaages.
    /

Images

thanks for getting back to me. The 4AGE thing was pretty naive, I'd like to go 3sge (non-turbo) and work the internals up to something resembling BEAMS (minus VVTI of course). It's a total pipedream at the moment but I reckon if I can get a Gen1 3SGE out of a wrecked 88-89 and just pull it down and slowly build it up then 150kw isn't too unrealistic. There was an 89 SX with a "noisy motor for $300 in the hills just recently but I never got a call back on it (left a couple msgs). I'll definitely seek you out if I ever get this off the ground tho! haha

bedtime for bonzo.

ohh my well iam not the oley one aney more (my speling suks I know) I have had a 3rd gen swap for the past two years in my 87 gts and I have done the 2nd gen swap but the 3rd is far supiroior. you can us the usa 1st gen 3sge ecu but I have spliced the harnest so it will exsept the 3rd gen fule injectors and hade to make a custoum power distrobution panel. the fule and ingiton manegment is handeld via the apexi afc and itc (igniton timing converter) plus the change in the usa to jdm flywheel made me have to drill out my transmiton to custom mount an mr2 starter moter. I have photos but dont know how to post them.

ohh yes I should all so add the moret makes aproxemetley 210 hp. with the port ans polish.(averey small port and polish i might add) hks heders. findiza lightend fly whell unorthidox lightend undercrank pullys and no AC msc igniton coils nology wiers and denso pugs. advanced igniton timing for some more 5000 /7400 rpm "kik" using the mr2 presur plate and exedey clutch. drive shafts are basicly stock new frome toyota with WRX rally botes on them wihet line suspention. and on my last open class race it beat evrey american V8 (corvet mustan ect) one bmw m3 tvr grifith aston helly west fild lotos. a porhca 944 a 911 a ralt rt4 but I was beten buy the bmw m5 and the lotos elise

wow, that's pretty impressive! Why didn't you use the Gen3 ECU? Its a wicked piece of kit compared to the gen 1 computer, i was told its a Bosch Jetronic D? How are you running the idle speed control with the gen 1 computer? I used the full gen 3 loom and computer, as well as the S54 gearbox that came with it (it has good short ratios rather than the economy camry ratios). Eventually i'd like to do a few mods to the engine, although atm i'm still very happy with its performance - completed the swap almost a year ago now.
    /

/

well to control the idel IMjust use a reostat to alter the voltage to the selonoid onthe throtal bodie.. the reson that I did not use the 3rd gen ecu was becuse I got the moter for 300(honda moter importer did not know aney beter. and the harnest was cut. no big deal I could just splice a new harnest in place. but it was going to cost me 750 for the ecu and that was with out the conections or a wiaring diagrame. dame it.. so the ist gen ecu that I had was a jdm with a fev cut of 7,400 rpms with a full map to that point. so it conerd the engions fule needs at 4000 rpms just fiing or to mutch I had to lean it out at the top rpm. the onley pain I have had is the air flow meter.. it must exsist so it has to de mounted some wher.. and detonation at low rpm... 2,000 to 3,000, colder plugs have helped. but not stoped it. I might get a water injection system to cool things down.. but other than that its fast and gets about 27 mpg (I like to escelarate hard) ohh that right the trans mition. the 87 gts has low gearatios so I used that transmition the gears mathch up with the powerband of the moter perfectly the onley problem was the starter. I had to coustome mount it on the oter side with involed drilling and taping out the bell housing. FUN! now I ah forem iltaret. and I have no idea how to post photos.

Can someone get me the wiring diagrams for a 3rd gen 3sge. I have a cut harness that needs to be pieced back together.
    Thanks
    LSD is installed......
    Salon Spa Software for all your management software needs.

I am just starting a 92 Mr2 3sgte into my 89 gts, Just waiting for a few more parts to begin the swap. Any suggestions on a good flywheel and clutch kit?
    :thefinger My lug nutz require more tourqe than your Hond'uh makes :thefinger

I don't know if this applies but I put an '86 3SGE Head on a '92 Camry 5SFE block in my '86 GTS. Only a very few modifications are needed and there are no wiring or computer changes at all. This is actually my first Toyota I've ever owned and the car didn't run when I bought it (for $400) so I can't say accurately if it's a big power boost or not, but it does run great and has plenty of power for a light little celica. Also, there might be other blocks that this will work with that would make better power but I got this block for free with 0 miles on it.

Images

hey Zues,
    Did you put a thread up about how you did this somewhere?

I'm at work right now and can't surf too much to find it. What sorta mods did you have to do to get it to fit?

Any HG issues?

bedtime for bonzo.

Here's the Link....
    RockStarZeus' 5SGE
    • Modify the cooling passages in the head. About 10 mins worth of die grinder work (be careful not to score the machined surface of the head)
    • The 5S block takes 10mm bolts for the flywheel while the 3S block takes 8mm (Cost me $6.40 at my local bolt hook-up)
    • Exhaust downpipe (?) needs to be lengthened by about 2 inches.

That's about it. Oh, and use the 5SFE head gasket.

Completed: 1MZ-FE V6 swap

Jim -
    '88 GTS - autocross car - V6 swap - I'm for sale
    '93 NA MR2 - autocross car and driver
    '05 Honda CRV - wife's car
    '07 Coroalla LE - my daily driver
    '95 Ford F250
    Our local autocross track:

"Why would my toy come with small parts unless I'm supposed to eat them" - Stewie

Gratz on the successful swap Jim, I'll stop by and check it out soon!

Junior Member mighty is on a distinguished road

Default I Need Help

I need to know what goes on here.
    Swappin a ST185 into a 1988 GTS- any help would ne great!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Junior Member mighty is on a distinguished road

Ill answer my own questions from below- The 3 missing plugs needs to removed from a 5th gen Caelica GTS.

And again with the white ECU Plug that will have to be removed from the otiginbal GTS Wiring harness to convert.

Swapping all gt-s into a st, Both are ST-162's ones 87 ones 89.....
    Swap list:
    3S-GE into ST...
    Exaust,
    Brakes/ hubs (to fit the 3sge Driveshafts)
    Seats, Ect electronics,
    and of course the steering wheel!
    wooop woop!
    ~-=DEATH BY SNOOCH SNOOCH ! ! !=-~
    : BEWARE OF CRAZY ROMANIANS :

TRACK STATS AS OF 3-14-10:
    0-60; 6.45sec/ Quarter mile:14.7 @ 126.7mph, uti dyno run: 226bhp 200-/+Whp @ 6300rpm
    From a*almost STOCK JDM 3sGE, with a USDM ECU first gen, COLD AIR,oversized injectors, and a cracked Cherrybomb for that growl (lol!)
    Superstreet cover? -FAIL!!!!

Thread Information