CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default Giving my trusty'ol celica a new paint job!

So maybe this slow economy might actually prove to be a small blessing!

Through a mutual friend I heard of a guy that works an auto body shop. According to him works is slow right now and he is in dire need of work. I talked to him today and he said he would paint my car for $180 for labor. I am not sure how much professional paint jobs usually cost... but $180 sounds dirt cheap to me. That includes prep work, trunk, inside of doors, engine compartment, and all the metal window moldings (that are starting to look pretty bad on my car).

I want to stay true to the stock colors offered for the 4th generation Celicas. So my initial thought was to keep the car black (202). However, I saw an All-Trac (on ebay, the one with 74k miles) with Dark Blue Pearl (8E3) and man is that color hot...

I am probably going to go with the Dark Blue Pearl, but i'd like to hear what some of you think.

Whoa whoa wait. So you're saying he will paint it for 180+supplies total?! If so where in cali is this? I's gots two cars that need paint/clear.

Also if you already have black, why not keep it? Its a beautiful color if you can keep it clean.
    Last edited by wontondon; 01-24-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: btw
    91 GT - Cecilia: Shifter bushings, dents, rust, potential? NOTE! This car known to destroy bolts. Mod with caution.

07 tC - Betty: Sway bars, short shifter, shifter cable/base bushings, strut bar, useless but awesome switch

I iz lurking in your forumz
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Yeah no crap.

I'll trailer my car to cali to have it repainted!

Paint jobs range (depending on work needed) from 400-???????. On my wife's mazda, it was 1600 alone just to paint the full drivers side, and blend it in with the hood/roof/trunk and bumpers.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

$180?!
    Unless he's a good friend, that's too good to be true. He can't even cover his supplies for that, let alone labour, door jambs, engine compartment, etc. I don't mean to sound negative, but I've seen cheap paint jobs before and well, they look like crap. I hope I'm wrong on this....good luck.
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

Yea - if it seems too good to be true - then IT IS.

Even a dirt cheap baked Earl Shive job will cost you at least $600 these days - and that will look like a turd on a plate.

no way can this be real.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Quote Originally Posted by Rick89GTS View Post
    $180?!
    Unless he's a good friend, that's too good to be true. He can't even cover his supplies for that, let alone labour, door jambs, engine compartment, etc. I don't mean to sound negative, but I've seen cheap paint jobs before and well, they look like crap. I hope I'm wrong on this....good luck.
    Read again.
    LABOR is $180.

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

OK - that makes more sense - make sure to buy the paint yourself and get hardener because prob no bake job here.
    92 STX "Mr. St" - Daily Driver
    91 Alltrac - Project beater fast car
    93 GTS - Project luxury road car

Quote Originally Posted by KM View Post
    Read again.
    LABOR is $180.
    Regardless, $180 labour for, and I quote, "...That includes prep work, trunk, inside of doors, engine compartment, and all the metal window moldings..." is pretty unreal.
    ^
    88 ST165...All-Trac

89GTS...Ol' Faithful

86GTS...my 3rd Celica

Thread Information