CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hood struts

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Default hood struts

Why don't they make em for the 5gc but the do for the 6gc and the 4gc?? I know phillip(mr babb or itoktosmokev8s) modded a tein set from another car to work on his old celica. Wish I would have saved the pics/info from that. Tein hood struts are way over priced imo....

I know nrg and sokie tech(ebay seller/great reviews) make them for the 6gc and almost everyother toyota(including my 4runner) but for some reason they skipped the 90-93 celicas like the aftermarket does with everything.....grrr

Would there be interest in these for the 5th gen? Will the 6gc ones work? The hood/fender bolts are almost identical to the 5gc.
    How come they say not to use them with frp or carbon fiber hoods??

The hood prop gets in my way lol
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by The Captain
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

At the Great Lakes meet, you can see how it's done...

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Wow that was fast.....are you stalking me lol?
    There's a company in detroit mi that makes these too, I asked why the 5gc was skipped and they gave me a bs clearance issue problem, I even offer to drive my car there so they could take measurments and what not.....no response

I posted up a thread just like this a few months ago. There is a company called Redline that was willing to make some for us, but they need to get a car out to their shop, they are in Dexter, Michigan.

http://www.redlinetuning.com/

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...uts&highlight=
    Trumanpriest - '90 ST185 | '12 Tundra Rock Warrior

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

ok, to answer a few questions....

Hood struts are very easy to make. you can pick up the struts and ball joints at any automotive parts store. Then just pick up some angle iron, cut it to shape, bolt the ball joints to the angle iron, paint the brackets, and rivet them to the hood/chassis.

I purchased sets of redline units for my Evo for both the trunk and the hood for the simple reason I didn't want to dick around at fabricating them at the time, but the "kits" are just way overpriced.

They say not to use them on GFRP and CFRP hoods because it puts stress on the middle of the hood when you grab the front of the hood to close it, and as fiberglass/carbon fiber hoods are flimsey, they will break in half after some time.

I use them on my carbon fiber trunk, but I also have a pretty bad-ass, strong carbon fiber trunk.

Senior Member DudeMan will become famous soon enough DudeMan's Avatar

Yeah I've been planning on doing this for a while.. Just gonna find some small ones at the wrecker or something, shouldn't be too hard.
    -Chase

1990 4Runner SR5
    1990 Celica GT-Four

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice temperacerguy is just really nice

The struts are like $10 new at the parts store (with ball joints), with such a low price, not sure why you'd be going to a junk yard to get some old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by temperacerguy View Post
    The struts are like $10 new at the parts store (with ball joints), with such a low price, not sure why you'd be going to a junk yard to get some old ones.
    For the fun factor. $3 a strut off of a Celica that came with them standard.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trumanpriest View Post
    I posted up a thread just like this a few months ago. There is a company called Redline that was willing to make some for us, but they need to get a car out to their shop, they are in Dexter, Michigan.

http://www.redlinetuning.com/

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sho...uts&highlight=
    That's who I contacted. Offered to drive my car there for mesurments and never heard back....ill check your thread.

It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Good luck

Clearance issues are stopping me. and no the 6gc ones won't work.

I clear one thing and then another issue pops up, etc.. I'm looking for a bolt on solution so that's the cause of all my issues

If someone could buy me some M6 ball studs w/ 10mm ball that would be great since I'm having a hell of a time finding anybody "here" that sells M6. They all got M8 but I need M6
    Last edited by acidice333; 09-09-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by acidice333 View Post
    Good luck

Clearance issues are stopping me. and no the 6gc ones won't work.

I clear one thing and then another issue pops up, etc.. I'm looking for a bolt on solution so that's the cause of all my issues

If someone could buy me some M6 ball studs w/ 10mm ball that would be great since I'm having a hell of a time finding anybody "here" that sells M6. They all got M8 but I need M6
    Trumanpriest and I are working with a company to get these made as we speak.

Ok, found my original email exchange and sent a reply out today - will wait and see if anything comes back. If I don't hear back from them in a few days I will call them up. Their original reply took nearly 2 weeks. Email below, just to keep folks interested in the loop;

Good evening Brian,

It's taken a while - but I have a gentleman who is willing to bring his car out to see if a system could be designed. What is the best way to arrange this? Is there a contact number that could be used to make sure a time and date is chosen that will work? Or is email the preferred method? Please let me know at your earliest convenience as we have quite a few folks waiting to see if struts can be developed for our cars. Thank you sir.

Mark

To: *****
    Subject: RE: Hood Struts compatibility for 1990-1993 Toyota Celica
    Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 22:10:12 -0500

Hello,
    Unfortunately we do not have a system for your vehicle… if we could get a volunteer near us in Dexter, Michigan to visit us for a couple hours, we could review the vehicle and possibly design a system.

We did work on a Celica once that resulted in a design that didn’t meet our criteria to sell the system – I believe it might have been a newer version than yours. We would need to see the vehicle in person to be able to make a decision about product development.

Thanks
    Brian
    Redline Tuning

Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 11:34 AM
    To: sales@redlinetuning.com
    Subject: Hood Struts compatibility for 1990-1993 Toyota Celica

Good morning,

I've seen your products personally on many 2nd Generation Toyota Tacoma's and would very much like to have a set that would work with my 1990 Toyota Celica All-trac. Prop rods suck you see. I do not see any kits explicitly stating compatibility however I was hoping that you perhaps would have a set that could be applied. If I am able to find a compatible set then I wouldn't doubt that there would be more 5th generation Celica owners interested (I personally know of several All-trac owners interested). Any help you could provide would be more than appreciated. Thank you very much.

Images

Thanks man. Keep me up to date . Do you want my number?? Or email? Like I said I'm only an hour away so its nothing for me to go up, and get something for our community to benifit from

I remember someone modifying RX8 hood struts to fit. An affordable off the shelf version would be nice.
    Coldiron (Cold - Iron) | Dragon Meet OG

| offensivetheory.deviantart.com/
    1992 Celica Gtfour | 2003 350z Track

Ok, got a response. If you want to PM me your email addy I can forward you the chain I originally started with him - or you can just fake it and copy all the text over in a new email. He is asking that the "volunteer" email him and take a few pics also. See below.

Please have the volunteer email me - we will arrange a time for this
    person to visit for the installation - takes a couple hours.

I will also need to see some photos of the hood frame, fender lip areas
    prior - I can generally determine whether a system will have major hurdles
    or not prior to someone driving here.

Brian
    Redline Tuning

Images

You got pm.

Images

I emailed redlinetuning. Hopefully well know soon if this can be done for us.

Sweeet! Hope this pans out

Project Ava

Formerly itsoktosmokev8s Mr. Babb is on a distinguished road Mr. Babb's Avatar
    Mr. Babb has donated to the forums! Mr. Babb helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

here ya go hood struts

And just for the record.... clearance issues would be a problem with hoods other that the CS/RC

or you could do the gay honda thing and get a 90 degree hood set up and just lay your hood on the windshield lol
    John
    90 Celica All-Trac, SOLD

Images

Ahahah
    Quote Originally Posted by all(trac)way View Post
    or you could do the gay honda thing and get a 90 degree hood set up and just lay your hood on the windshield lol
    HahahahhahahaaNO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Babb View Post
    here ya go hood struts

And just for the record.... clearance issues would be a problem with hoods other that the CS/RC
    Why would the clearance be any different? The hood frame/fender area is the same on all the hoods...isn't it?

Formerly itsoktosmokev8s Mr. Babb is on a distinguished road Mr. Babb's Avatar
    Mr. Babb has donated to the forums! Mr. Babb helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Because the way I did it, when the hood is closed the strut sits in the bulge that is circled below. Other style hoods dont have this bulge

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Yup that is correct.
    The struct body is too thick so the bulge is kinda in the way so when you close the hood, that corner of the hood kinda sticks out a little

Images

Still havent heard back yet

Thread Information