CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stupid car...

Unsocially Acceptable acidice333 is on a distinguished road
    acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Default Stupid car...

So I've been doing a head gasket on a Chevy Optra.... finally put the majority back together and started it up, and it seemed like it wasn't running on all cylinders.

Did a compression test... 1 and 2 were 190, 3 was about 170 I think, and 4 was 140...

Tested 4 again, couldn't get it past 10 psi
    Didn't test 3 yet..

1 was a still good 190.

I'm thinking its a bad head gasket. I don't remember which side it was, but part of the rings for 2 cylinders on the head gasket were a little bent from shipping.

What are you guyses 2 cents?

Altho when running, the engine ticks... didn't do that before.. timing is right since all you have todo is align 3 timing marks and its computer controlled apparently.

Lession be learned, don't listen to a friend's dad that works at Fountain Tire.

So I'm hoping once I pull everything off again and replace it with a new one (should have just waited a few days since it was coming anyways) it will be fine.
    Last edited by acidice333; 12-29-2009 at 12:49 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds to me like a sticky valve.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Sorry... I got distracted... MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica has a brilliant future MCcelica's Avatar
    MCcelica has been to an annual Dragon Meet! MCcelica helped get Play's clutch job done. MCcelica helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I was just going to ask if you got a valve job when you had the head off.
    Poena Hodie Vires Cras y Semper Fidelis Maximus

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    My coffee, without me, is useless. Without my coffee, I am useless. I must drink my coffee true.
    Shadows Army: Commanding Officer: Yoda Combat Regiment

<-- If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.

acidice333 has been to an annual Dragon Meet! acidice333 has donated to the forums!

Didn't do a valve job.

Gave the head to my buddy and he had his dad's buddy clean and check the deck.

I will play around with it more in the morning and check compression on all cylinders again.

I started it, it ran but ticked louder than my 5sfe and was rough but idle speed normal. Did a compression test, 2 were good, 2 were not so good. I don't understand how #4 went from +100 to 10'ish I mean it was pressurized then I pressed the release valve and tried it again but it was basically dead. I don't think I checked #3, but I will in the morning.

x3 on a valve job needing to be done.

A stuck valve can do what you are describing Steve.
    PITA, I know, but get it done and call it a day.
    Anything else is just gonna be a band-aid.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

well I started disassembling it and took out the spark plugs and noticed that #2 has a slight hint of wetness, and #4 had a very small puddle of what looks to be oil.

Did a comp. test again on #3 and #4.
    #3 came up 170, #4 came up 10.

I'll probably have the head off tommorow so I can look better.

So we pulled the head..

Gave it to the machine shop... #4 exhaust valves were bent.. $485 later we pop it back on along with new head bolts... the only thing was nobody could tell us which camshaft was which even tho they have the same part #s but differently priced.

Timed it once using info from a "Fountain Tire" mechanic whose been one for 30yrs.. ended up being 90 degrees off with his advice since we rotated it by hand and could hear it slapping.. So we realigned everything to what the Forenza/Lacetti says it should be and like what it was the first time and started it up all good! Valve train noise until it warmed up and now its gone.

Car works great!

...and here's a video of start up...

CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Glad to see you found the problem to bad it wasen't cheaper.

Thread Information