CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Default Celibaby goes under the knife v.215 swap

July 24, 2009
    Bought Jasmine for $250. Clean body, no serious damange, clean VIN, no accidents, etc. Here's how she looked (previous owner's picture).

Some better shots all around once she was in my garage.

August 25, 2009
    After some debating as to what I'd be doing, I proceeded to pull out the motor in preperation of the 3s-gte swap.

October 14, 2009
    Dealer pics of the engine I purchased

October 19, 2009
    5 days later:

30 minutes after arriving home:

Last edited by 4thgenceli; 06-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Her Build thread -->
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli has a reputation beyond repute 4thgenceli's Avatar
    4thgenceli has been to an annual Dragon Meet! 4thgenceli helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

October 20, 2009
    Engine teardown commences. Was orginally planning on basic maintenance (intake/exhaust gaskets, water pump, etc). Ended up tearing motor 90% down (left pistons/rods/crank in) and resealed everything possible.

Obligatory turbo shot:

Hour or so later, it's a mess in the driveway.

Random component pictures:

Exhaust & Turbo manifold:

Block:

#1 cylinder wall:

Head:

valves:

Few other obligatory pictures:

Last edited by 4thgenceli; 06-14-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    Jasmine - 1989 GTS. GenIV 3s-gte, e153 LSD transmission, 3" turbo-back exhaust. SOLD

Her Build thread -->

Images

October 22, 2009
    Head goes out for refresh.

October 25, 2009
    Various goodies arrived.

Engine reseal kit, timing belt kit & accessories, water pump, thermostat (OEM Toyota parts courtesy of North Shore Toyota).

New clutch purchased as well. ACT TC4-HDR6

Transmission arrived. 93+ MR2 e153 transmission with 1.5way LSD installed.

October 27th, 2009
    Begin removeal of other accessories off block to reseal.

Her Build thread -->

Images

November 28, 2009
    Bottom end completed. Front and rear main seals replaced, sump and oil pan re-sealed, new water pump installed.

Next task was to clean the block/head mating surface (block did not see a hot tank dump as I didn't want to pull pistons/crank out).

November 29, 2009
    Make a lot of progress, finally starting to resemble an engine again. Started out with the ARP head studs.

After Doggah inspects....

She gives the go ahead to secure the head to block.

All torqued & retorqued the next morning, final torque to occur after 1000 miles.

Love this last shot here, engine on stand, Jasmine in background, and Celicatech up on the laptop on Jasmine.

Her Build thread -->

Images

December 2, 2009
    Begin the task of converting the MR2 RWD e-153 to FWD

Removing mr2 selector

Trying to figure out how to get roll pins out without cracking case (failed, had to crack case anyway)

Selector bracket out, all ready to install st185 hardware.

December 17, 2009
    Received TWM short throw shifter for the st165 and some st165 shifter cables. Time to install them.

OEM length shifter

Started pulling apart interior to install. The shifter only needed the center console removed, I removed the radio bezel as I had to install shifter cables as well.

Had to use a 'vice' to knock out the nylon cups on the stock shifter.

Cable comparions:

Here's the cables going from the shifter thru the firewall.

I had to lift the front up a bit & loosen the steering rack bolts/nuts in order to get my 10mm wrench in and remove the grommet & plate holding the cables in.

All finished with the installation, I had to work the metal under the pivot ball just a bit to let the cup clear.

Installation completed:

Just for a side by side visual, here's the TWM shifter vs. the OEM shifter (exclude about a half inch due to the shift knob being installed on the TWM, it's actually lower than it appears in the picture).

Her Build thread -->

Images

December 26, 2009
    After nearly 2 weeks of brain bashing and phone calls, I realize I'm a dumbass. I figured out how to time the cams. As with other engines, there is typically a steel back plate that is secured behind the cams against the head with marks to assist with timing. I couldn't locate this plate. Turns out, there was no plate. The timing marks were on top of the cam caps, as well as on the valve cover itself.

I almost messed up my crank timing due to the vertical mark pictured here. I am not sure what this does, but I confirmed the divot and arrow need to line up to verify #1 cylinder is at TDC with a screwdriver.

Cam timing:

installed Valve cover, lined up cams, and used white crayon for visual references.

Tensioner installed, idler installed, properly tensioned, and a few dozen hand cranks all 3 marks continued to line up.

Engine's getting closer to being complete.

December 30, 2009
    Installation of head components begins. First up, intake manifold. TIP. Tilting the engine at a 45* angle will assist with intake and exhaust manifold installation, the full weight of the mainfold can be rested on the engine without it putting to much strain on the studs.

Cooling system accessories attached. At first I forgot to install the thermostat, so I removed the water neck & when re-installing the water inlet something went wrong & it snapped. I was able to source another st215 water inlet (thanks PITCELICA).

Her Build thread -->

Images

Feburary 1, 2010
    Due to unforseen circumstances, I had to go a month without any updates or progress. As well, I also accidently moved my AC compressor the wrong way, and thus bled the full system of all freon. I am currently running the St215 engine, st215 power steering pump, st162 power steering lines, st162 alternator, and st162 AC compressor.

Last edited by 4thgenceli; 06-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Her Build thread -->

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

dood that looks in GREAT shape! im gonna contact them about a 1jz.....

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

I'm really glad you bit the bullet and went this way Tim. It's looking good.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Holy shit that head is clean.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

^^ HAHA! That's hat I'm talkin about.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

haha this is awesome! keep us posted man!!

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

CelicaTech Supporter 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST's Avatar
    90CelicaST has donated to the forums! 90CelicaST helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. 90CelicaST helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Get out of there Tim
    You don't belong in an engine bay, you're a person.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I don't like people.

I don't like going out.

That is why my friends are all on the interwebz. That way when I don't feel like being sociable, I just close the window.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Man that is a freakin clean clip.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Images

Fedex delivery guy: 0
    e153 transmission: 1

Guy loaded up the transmission in the box onto a dolly, and promptly proceeded to flatten both tires on it (I loaned him my compressor to fill it up, only to flatten them again).

He thought the transmission was for the Ford in the driveway. He was a bit taken back that the transmission for a lil' 4 banger car would weight so much.

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Cool! Looks like a very clean engine.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

sweet keep going , im currently about to start putting back togather my engine after tearing it down and sending the head off
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Food looking Tim. Where are you getting your new gaskets and such at. I'm planning the same swap for my 93. But I also want to re seal everything before I put it in along with a new T-belt and water pump. Keep up the good work
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Images

Seriously, do the 215 swap. If you get a hold of venus they're cheap right now.

The majority of parts right now for the 215 are interchangeable with the 205 engine, and even some with the 185 engine. It's not that hard to source parts, Aaron over at ithaca toyota and his cohort (Steve I think his name) were EXTREMELY interested in the swap I'm doing, as they've rarely come across this swap. Thanks to Kevin he's hooked me up with a dealer overseas that readily has the parts in stock. I ordered everything for the reseal from New Zealand, parts arrived in just under 7 days.

Her Build thread -->

remember to check the bearings

btw go to harbor frieght and get an engine stand, i was lucky and while i was in alabama i got one while it was on sale for around 30 dollars. No more working with a rim and my arms ftw

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 85gtsblackman
    remember to check the bearings

btw go to harbor frieght and get an engine stand, i was lucky and while i was in alabama i got one while it was on sale for around 30 dollars. No more working with a rim and my arms ftw
    Check out the pictures closer How do you think the engine is supported in the air?

Her Build thread -->

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

awesome. once i get my swap ill get with you and maybe you can hook me up with the overseas dealer. good work
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Puts the skillz to the extreme! extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz will become famous soon enough extremeskillz's Avatar
    extremeskillz has donated to the forums!

Images

This is a great build. Honestly I can't wait for the final result.

She's sold
    !

sorry i thought the engine was sitting on something

Images

Got the motor 90% stripped down. Oil pan & lower cover is removed. Gasket sealant all removed (it was leaking a bit already, so figured I'd rip & reseal it all). Nice and purty clean in there. Damn this is gonna be a fun car if/when I get it running.

Her Build thread -->

Thread Information