CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech

View Poll Results: have you ever ran your car out of gas?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope... never even close

24 17.65%
  • Nope, but it's been close a few times

58 42.65%
  • Yes, but only once

26 19.12%
  • Yes, a few times

11 8.09%
  • Yes, I've managed to do that several times...

12 8.82%
  • Yes, but I meant to so I knew my limit

5 3.68%
  • I don't have a car

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member jaydog82 is on a distinguished road

i did in my 84 GMC blazer, but not ever in my celica
    ST165

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JDM engine and new turbo. SPEC stage 2 clutch,walbro 255lph fuel pump, AEM dry flow filter and custom 3" straight intake, 3" ausie DP, upgraded HE and heat wrapped ST165 WTA IC, 8mm magnacore wires, speedsorce solid motor mounts, ASI Aluminum RAD, 2micron second oil filter kit, prosport EGT-BOOST-WB O2 gauges, all new: seals/gaskets/belts/hoses/ Water Pump/ Timing belt kit, Rebuilt half shafts, new drive shaft u-joints, new control bushings, cleaned and balanced injectors,

I let PearlJammzz run The Dragon in 14.7 andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy is a name known to all andy's Avatar
    andy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! andy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. andy helped get Play's clutch job done. andy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

I ran my 1st gen out of gas last wendsday, 20ft from my facking house! GAH!!!! it was a nice walk tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow's Minion Army - member #2

Originally Posted by vafalla
    No, I'm still gay. I like the ladies too.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Never, I usually fill up after it reaches 1/4 tank. I heard it's not good to run it dry because of the crap on the bottom of the tank might clog up your fuel filter and in the winter you get more condensation if the tank is really low. Don't know if it's true or not but it makes sense.

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

Ive ran it until the fuel pump was running dry.. never out completely though.

Quote Originally Posted by opivy6989
    my gauge(5th gen) takes about 3 blocks to reach the proper level after filling, dunno why. it also does a lot of swaying while i drive, usually between E and 1/8th. keeps me on my toes. Anyone know how to fix it? im not even sure how the gauge gets the level readout

EDIT: checked my haynes. fuel sender gauge, may check that out sometime, no hurry.
    I have similar issues on my 4th gen, but I think it's because I run 10% Ethanol. Ethanol is supposedly notorious for confusing older fuel gauges.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Neutered Kittah
    never have. came DAMN close tho... When i was selling my old duramax i had to take the cluster out to get it repaired. driving home from work i was debating stoping for fuel or not. decided to stop and put in a little over 26 gallons. truck has a 26 gallon tank. im surprised i even made it to the station.

would of sucked.. running a diesel out of fuel is bad news
    Must be hard to gauge in a GM (unless recently they fixed it) to tell how much gas you have, with their bouncing needles.
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Wouldnt let Luni run 14.7 on the dragon renegadex is on a distinguished road renegadex's Avatar
    renegadex has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Ran my '78 spitfire out of gas once.

1985 Cressida
    1992 Cappuccino

Quote Originally Posted by Cavanagh
    Must be hard to gauge in a GM (unless recently they fixed it) to tell how much gas you have, with their bouncing needles.
    nope. all 3 of my trucks have been spot on.

even my old chevy work truck is accurate

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

When I was a kid, I was a broke motherfucker.

Broke motherfuckers and big powerful V8s don't mix.

As I got older, I kept gas in the cars. However, there would be more than one time I was counting pennies just to get home.

I haven't run one out of gas in about 10 years. The last time was because the fuel gauge didn't work. It was an `81 Camaro.

Yoda for President

Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Senior Member Disco Dan is on a distinguished road Disco Dan's Avatar

I have run every car I have owned to empty at least once. Some a few times. The '82 Supra was the most entertaining.

No warning.

In New Jersey.

New Jersey has a funny law. You can't carry gas in a gas tank unless you're taking it to fill up a lawn mower or other non-driving equipment.

Except that most places sell gas tanks. The cashier asked "that's to fill up your lawn mower, right?"

Awesome state to visit.

Then, once I added 5 gallons of gas from a tank which was, as stated before, intended for "my lawn mower," it took a few minutes of turning the key and pumping the pedal for the gas to actually get back into the system.

Amazing adventure!

My Civic will now only use about 9 of the 12 gallons in the tank, so it has "run out" more often than the others, but technically, I think I've only run all 12 gallons out once when I first got it.

My '92 has run out more than once. Twice I remember. The first time, it died at the red light across from the gas station. You know the situation. You've got a 6 mile stretch of road ahead of you and you think "I can make it to the gas station at the end of this stretch." So you go. And it sputters a couple of times but you say "come on, you can do it" coasting down hill when the car dies, popping the clutch at the bottom, hoping it will restart, putting on the hazards, pulling off to the side, thinking it's done, then burning rubber as the car finds a few drops more in the bottom of the tank. Anyway, it restarted just as the light went green, then died as I coasted to the pump.

The other time it died was about 50 feet from a gas station and it wouldn't restart. I got out of the car and asked the guy to push my car with his into the station.

Needless to say, I'm no stranger to walking to a gas station with a red can and filling up without a car.

I did, once.

I had previously had a leak in the tank, so we dropped the tank, fixed the leak, and put it back in. It all went great, except for the hard line off the pickup breaking off when we went to remove it. We ended up putting in a pickup from a mkiii Supra - bolts right on, but doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the tank. I drove around like that for almost a year, and only ran out of fuel once.

It was a cold, cold, sunny day: -30 C. I had plent of fuel - just over half a tank. Unfortunately, it was so cold that the stupid car ran pig rich for far too long, going through an eighth of a tank in no time flat.

I had an eighth of a tank left... but the pickup just wouldn't reach the fuel.

This issue has since been fixed, and I haven't run out of gas since then!

I will, however, never live down the call to my boyfriend at work... "It's - 30 out, and I've run out of gas. There are no stations within decent walking distance, and even if there were, I'd get frostbite before I got there!"

1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Daisy - Daily driver.
    1985 Toyota Celica GT Delilah - Sold.
    1984 Celica Supra project (unnamed) - Currently in the low budget parts acquisition phase.

Have I ever run it out of gas ??? no, never ever..... has Mrs Fuelish done so ??? .... well............

Member usp45 will become famous soon enough usp45's Avatar

I have managed to never run out. I put in like 5 gallons and don't fill back up until I almost run out every time. I'm sure my strategy will backfire someday.

Ran my Rx-7 out of gas twice.

The AllTrac, never.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Never ran the Celi out of gas. Came really close once... That needle will drop way below E.

1998 Celica GT- BEAMS Swapped.
    1997 Supra- TT 6 speed, bone stock.
    2006 4Runner- DD.

never ran out of gas but did help some idiot in a truck that did. had to get a 2gal. gas can and filled it up, came back put gas in his truck and told him to go to the gas station 2 blocks away but he just drove past it.

I ran out of gas once in high school. I had this 1967 Mercedes s250 ran out of gas a had to walk my a$$ 30mins to the closest gas station. But to this day I still push my gas needle to the limit almost every time. The worst was when My girl and I went to Vancouver in her Mazda 3. On the way back we were going to kelowna about 200k away and thought I can make it. As I watched the needle get lower and lower I was getting real nervous. I was on E and still had 60kms left. My girl soon caught on to what was going And I got "why didnt you fill up earlier!" As I said I always have to push it to see how much I can get out of a tank. All I could think of is how far I am going to have to walk when we run out of gas. 30kms to go and the needle is a 8th behind the E. We are going to run out any min now and i still have 30kms to go. It was the worst time I have ever had driving. But by some grace of God we made it to the gas station. I filled the 60ltr tank with 59.5 ltrs. I didnt mention that the day before the ac pump seized and burnt the belt off. I guess if that didnt happen I would have had a little worse gas mileage and probably would have not made it. But did I learn my lesson ? No I still push my needle to see how much I can get out of a tank of gas.
    1994 Celica GT4
    Power is nothing without control

Running a little warm there... klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold klapa is a splendid one to behold
    klapa has been to an annual Dragon Meet! klapa has donated to the forums!

I built a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX with a 426 HEMI - Factory stock with dual Carter AFB four barrels.

That car could pass anything but a gas station - so long as you were going in a relatively straight line!

It did have some problems - one of which was I could never get the gas gauge working right even after dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit.

I miss that car - but I don't miss the "traffic school" that came with it.

Lifetime Member hobbie2k is on a distinguished road hobbie2k's Avatar
    hobbie2k has donated to the forums!

Images

The only time I've run out was with my 91 Sentra SE in college. The gauge would read "E" after only 6 gallons so I would use the trip odo...anyway, it was at about 430mi and I was leaving college for home (4 hour drive) at about 8pm. I got it out of the lot heading to the gas station (about 1/2 mile)...and it died, got it started again, drove about 20 ft, died again...damn. So I tried to push it into a nearby lot (no street parking), but the lot was uphill so I couldn't get it myself. I ran up to my dorm to get my roommate and send my girlfriend for gas, returned to the car 5 minutes later...and I had a parking ticket... My roommate and I got it up the hill and into a spot, and as I shut the door I realized that I had just locked the keys in...so I had to stand out by the car on a cold Nov night in North Dakota, waiting 45 mins for the locksmith to show up...then it took him another 45 mins to get the car open all the while the lights and radio were on, but the engine wasn't running. Fortunately, the battery was strong...

Fun night...

Last winter my wife ran her car out of gas on a -30º morning... That was a fun 6:30am rescue mission. The gas can was so cold and hard I had to stick the nozzle into the exhaust pipe to warm it enough to take the cap off.
    Team 'learn about other cars and you may learn more about yours' member 002
    2015 Skoda Octavia Wagon
    1996 Nissan Pulsar SSS

yep ...everytime i buy a new car so i noe how many miles i can get out of her.....always have a gas can filled tho....does that count as out of gas?

My 85 MR2, ran out of gas on a Halloween night. It was a few miles from my home and raining :/ I was with my nephew and about a 1/4 home Two hotties pull up and offer us a ride home. My dumb shy ass didn't ask for a number even though the driver was flirting with me quite a bit :/

Quote Originally Posted by 187flatliner View Post
    yep ...everytime i buy a new car so i noe how many miles i can get out of her.....always have a gas can filled tho....does that count as out of gas?

Sounds like a gas chamber to me. Cough cough
    ~Dustin

14" DC TRD O/R MGM Tacoma-Daily Driver
    85' Toyota MR2 N/A-out of commission forever
    88' Toyota MR2 N/A- 4age = D E A D. AE92GZE underway
    Your Girlfriend - I ride her on the weekends

Murg's Heathen's Pet Snitch Monkey CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut is a splendid one to behold CollapsedNut's Avatar
    CollapsedNut has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CollapsedNut has donated to the forums! CollapsedNut helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Ran my old Jeep out once, but it was because the rubber return line was just dumping my gas out onto the road.

Originally Posted by manda
    what do I know? I'm just a woman on a car forum..
    guess I better get back to makin your sammich
    Cheese! Cheese for everyone! Wait..no. No cheese for you!

89 Celica GT

88 ST165 "
    "
    07 4Runner SR5

Never ran out in any of my cars. I think I got pretty close one time though in the GT-S. Went to a car show in Moab Utah from Ogden and pulled about 434 odd miles out of it going through mountains and such probly with the last 70 or so with the needle hanging out with the 'E'. Ran through a whole tank that day and never once sputtered or anything.
    Last edited by Physlis; 02-10-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I can haz 6 speeds? v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3 is just really nice v3's Avatar
    v3 has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

I ran my u-haul out of gas...but it wasn't my fault, the gauge still showed 1/4 tank.

Luckily I just dropped the Celica off the flatbed and drove to the nearest gas station.

-------

Driving Miss Daisy VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ is a name known to all VikingJZ's Avatar
    VikingJZ has been to an annual Dragon Meet! VikingJZ has donated to the forums! VikingJZ helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. VikingJZ helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

Images

Twice and both with my old GMC truck. The first time was because I thought it had a low-fuel light (which it didn't). Fortunately, I was already coasting into the gas station.

The second time was simply me being a cheap ass. I ended up pushing it about six miles at night. I was able to run it on fumes for a few minutes at a time before it stalled out. The last 1/4 mile I was able to get home via fume action.

Fail.

Locked my keys in my car? Yup about three times. Twice within a week.
    --Aaron
    1976 Toyota Celica GT 5MT//2007 Honda Civic//Skateboard

Thread Information