CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Nitro Alltrac's '92 185

I've been here for a while now and I'm finally getting around to starting my project thread. I'm copying over what I have on Alltrac.net so I don't have to retype everything.

Starting from July 2008
    I bought the car off of Ebay from a guy in New Hampshire for my son. He had had a 93 ST for a while and had always wanted an All Trac. We went up to NH and trailered the car back down here to WV. This was a former Alltrac.net member’s old car. I found his old for sale thread before it was purged. The guy that bought it from him put it back mostly to stock. He removed the standalone, the coilovers, the FMIC, the RC bumper and hood. He also did a hell of a lot of the basic maintenance work like replacing the wheel bearings, the tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. He also installed a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust on it. The car also had the Whiteline rear swaybar.

Anyway, my son drove it for about 7 months but decided that he didn't want to do the maintenance to keep the car in good shape. So long story short, he went back in his ST, which cosmetically looks a lot better, and I got the All Trac.

I've spent the last year fixing several items that my son and my old repair shop managed to booger up. My boy some how ran the front of the car over sidewalk at his apartment far enough to hit the stock downpipe. He hit it hard enough that he popped the exhaust manifold seal loose. This was in January, it was freakin cold and I don't have a garage. So I took it to my trusty repair shop who had done good work for me in the past. I didn't realize that the management had changed. The repaired the manifold leak, bitched about how hard a job it was and charged me $400. A month or so later, the brake light switch went bad and I took it to them to fix that. Some how that turned into a week long job. They managed to lose most of the lower dash bolts and wired the brake light switch directly to the battery with small gauge wire. At this time the car was still my son's but I drove it to work the day we got it back. On the way home, I had to stop at a stop light and while sitting there, the car started filling with smoke. This was when I found out they had wired the brake lights direct to the battery. Back to the shop again and the spent another 3 days installing a heavier gauge wire and a fuse (there is a broken wire in the harness that I haven't dug into yet to fix. I haven't gotten to the point of taking the dash out.) This was the last time I took the car, or any car, to them. To top this part of the ordeal off, this past spring I had to replace the brake light switch again. It wasn't that terribly hard. It wasn't as easy as doing it on a 88 Celica, but it wasn't impossible.

So in February of last year, I took possession of the All Trac. One morning on the way to work, leaving a stop light, the thing started making a horrible noise and didn't seem to be making any boost. Once again, long story short, the repair shop hadn't gotten the manifold nuts tight and they had come loose. :x One had come completely out and two others were extremely loose. I retapped a couple of the bolt holes and put everything back together. This seemed to be fine for a while, but the damage had been done. This past March, I finally pulled the manifold and turbo and put heilcoils into the head. This finally fixed the problem.

While messing with all of the rerepairs, I was able to start making a few modifications to the car. I bought the RC front bumper and reinforcement from Toyota. I love the way that this bumper looks on the car. As an added bonus, I found out the pieces of mesh that were in the car when we bought it were actually the factory grille work for the RC bumper! You get lucky every once in a while.

I bought a 205 torsen from etantshi on Alltrac.net (a great guy to deal with I might add) and got that installed last August. If you haven't done this for your car, DO IT! I could feel some difference the first day driving to work. The car seems to dig into corners better than before. I have also installed the Speed Source shifter cable bushings, the ones at the transmission and a couple of months ago I put in a TWM short throw shifter, another excellent addition to the car that I would highly recommend.

As far a repairs go, I picked up a power mirror switch from Darth Ripley that fixed my mirror problem. I picked up the rear trunk carpet from Bigcurvlur and I recently got the driver's side kick panel from Terracar that I have to install.I still need to go through the interior light wiring and try to figure out why my dome lights don't work with the doors. They work from the switches and when I open the rear hatch, but they won't come on with the door. When we got the car, we took out what seemed to be a couple of hundred feet of audio wire and there were some interesting splices. I have a feeling that has something to do with the problem. This past spring, while doing the exhaust manifold, I also replaced the radiator, both hoses and the HFH. As some of you probably remember, I had an electrical problem during this same time that ended up being a shorted starter. During the trouble shooting, I replaced the ECU with a JDM model. I also installed an Aussie DP that I got from Brett as well while the car was down.

As for the future, I want to get the interior into shape, specifically the front seats. The rest of the interior isn't in too bad of condition, but as you can see from the pictures below, I have the typical All Trac driver's seat. I have been thinking about putting 205 or aftermarket seats in, but I like the stock seats. I am waiting until a couple of the guys here finish installing the Ebay seat covers to how those are. I'm kind of leaning that way.

I guess my goal for the car is something in the 300 hp range. I don't have to have the fastest car, but I like something with some power. I want to build a good touring car with great handling and power. I'm not looking to build an auto crosser, more of a canyon carver, but not to the nth degree.

I plan on upgrading the turbo, possibly to a 20B. I still have to investigate this more. I also want to upgrade to a WTA intercooler. I know that I could go to a FMIC, but I don't like all the piping in the engine compartment and I think that I can make my goal with the WTA.

I also am thinking about going to a set of coilovers. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of available suspension upgrades, strut wise, for our cars. I saw how GT4RCDude's car did at the Dragon with the Tein's and it looked impressive. If anybody has any suggestions on the suspension, let me know. I don't have a problem with a hard ride. (I've got the Hotchkis suspension on my truck and it is VERY firm). I don't want race car stiff, but something that will make the car handle better.

Well, that is enough for now. I'll do my best to keep this updated as I go along. Here are some pictures of my ugly beast. Without having to add it, I also have to get the car painted.

At the lake below the Dragon

In action on the Tail of the Dragon! HOOT!

Mod List:
    Whiteline rear sway bar, TWM short shifter, Hawk street front brake pads, TRD rear brake pads, Blitz exhaust, Aussie downpipe, 205 torsen rear diff,K&N Cone Air Filter, Voodoo MBC, Speedsource shifter bushings
    Last edited by Nitro_Alltrac; 04-21-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also from July 2008

Well, I am off this week for the summer plant shutdown and tomorrow is my day to work on the car. I also have put plugs and new wires on my truck, but that shouldn't take too long. Then on to the All Trac!

I pulled the intercooler off today and cleaned it out. It looks like it came out pretty good. I just gave it the final rinse and I'm letting it dry out now. Tomorrow, I am going to finally install my MBC that I picked up last year. I'm planning on going to 12 PSI. The car currently boosts to 9, so I thought I would start by going to 12. I'm not sure with the JDM ECU if I am going to hit the fuel cut out at 12. This ECU is out of an early 90. I have to get a FCD, or make one, so I can dial the fuel cutoff up some. I would like to get to 14 or 15 psi. I think that will be enough for me, at least for now.

I also want to try and install my small catch tank. I picked up one of the moisture traps from Home Depot, like was shown in the one post. I think this will help as I have oil film in the intake hosing. This should take care of that problem.

I'm also going to install the kick panel I got from Terracar and see what I can do about closing the gaping hole beneath the radio. I'm thinking about making a plate to put over it for now. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet though. I'm missing the cubby and the cup holder.

I got the boost controller installed without any problem. I did go and get new hose to replace the one that was going from the turbo housing to the waste gate actuator. It was really hard and the end on the actuator was cracked pretty bad. I installed the MBC per Gary's instructions (put it between the compressor housing the actuator.) It works great. I tuned it just a little and I'm getting 12 psi with no problem.

It seems like the car boosts quicker and smoother now. This is probably a combination of the new vacuum lines and the cleaning of the intercooler. I wouldn't think the MBC would have anything to do with that. The car also idles now at a little lower vacuum level. It had always idled with about 18.5 lbs of vacuum. Now it is showing 20. I think I might have had a minor vacuum leak that gotten taken care of during the process.

I also got the kick panel installed today as well. It looks a lot better now with that it place. I like not seeing the fuse box and the wiring harnesses. I didn't get anything done with the opening under radio though.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From March 2009

I finally got the new seat I picked up back in October 2008 installed today. Here are a few pics of the process. This also gave me an excuse to try out the new camera I bought last night!

Here's my original, tired seat. I'm sure this looks familar to a lot of you.

This was a profitable job after all. 84 cents, a good 10 amp fuse and a french fry! Saved money on lunch.

I managed to break the bezel around the gas door release. The second screw on the floor had the head rounded out and instead of getting out the right way, I thought I might be able to pull the bezel up enough to get to the bought. Bad idea.

Here's the new seat once it was in. It was out of a GTS and the guy at the salvage yard said the interior pieces had been there about 10 years. It's in really good shape, especially compared to the old seat. I'm still pumping moisturizer into it to soften it up some more.

That's it for now. I hope to be able to start doing some cosmetic work to it soon. I'll just have to see how the cash part works out.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

From June 2009

We're in the process of remodeling our kitchen so I have had minimal time to work on the car other than maintenance. I have gotten to do a couple of things to it over the past month. I finally got the door speakers hooked back up. That has made a difference in the way the stereo sounds.

Today I installed at rear strut tower bar. It was very easy and took only about 30 minutes. I've got to find something to cover the ends and the holes I had to cut in the rear panels. The plastic cuts very easy. Too easy in one case as I ended up cutting about 4 inches too far while cutting the second hole.

I bought the bar from Ryan and I'm pretty happy with it.

After cutting the holes in the trim panels, the mounts dropped right in place and bolted up fine. I haven't driven the car yet since I got the bar in place. I'm curious as to how much difference it is going to make.

Here are a some pictures of the install and the of the bar in place. They're a little big but they show some detail. Overall, this one of the easiest things I done to my car.

Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

August 15,2009

Ok, I bought my paint on Friday and things are a go. Those of you that have had the "pleasure" of seeing my beast know that it is a couple three shades of red, grey hood and black front bumper.

I had initial planned just to paint the bumper and the hood but I got thinking that since I was going that far, go ahead and try to do the whole thing. There wasn't much body work to do a dent in the quarter panel where some jackass got his head ran into while the car was in my son's posession, a dent in the hood and some goofy body work in the back where a previous owner had removed the spoiler, the antenna and the wiper, why I don't know.

So far I've fixed the dent in the quarter, worked on smoothing up the right side of the hatch and fixed the dent in the hood. Today I sanded the hood and the headlight covers and primed everything. I also found another small dent in the back of the hood that I fixed as well.

Everything went pretty good other than the second can of primer ended up not being what I started with and has kind of jacked up the hood. I'm going to have to resand it and prime it again. I'm using quality rattle can primer as the old paint itself isn't that bad and I don't have any place to spray the primer with a gun while I'm working. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to start shooting the color.

Here's some progress pictures.

Quarter panel repair. I've got a little outward dent that I'm going to have to try and fix. If you've seen the car you know this was a pretty ugly spot on the car.

Right side of the hatch. I still have to finish it and the top of the left quarter.

The hood in process.

After priming. It looks better but I'm going to have to over it again before I paint. I'm going to have to get some paint stripper and do the hood vents. The paint is peeling and it would be almost impossible to sand those little bastards.

So, that's were I'm at as of today. I'll have more updates shortly, I hope.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

August 22, 2009

Another progress post. Things are going a little slow between getting the kitchen remodel finished and the damn weather (WV has become part of the monsoon zone this summer).

I had some time and decent weather today. I had to resand the hood after primer didn't go on right. I got that taken care of and reprimed. Looks a lot better. I've got to get some paint stripper tomorrow and strip the vents.

I also worked on the rear hatch some more. I got everything on top sanded along with the bad area on the top of the left rear quarter. I'm going to have to skim a little more filler on the hatch and the quarter as the work the previous owner did when he removed the spoiler and wiper are the best. It won't be too bad though. Hopefully I can get that done next weekend.

I've got a few little dents to fix still and the I'm ready to start with the color. The front bumper and hood are definitely getting painted soon. Here's a few updated pics.

The hood after repriming

The hatch in process

Left quarter
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

OK, latest update. I got paint sprayed today but I didn't have enough to finish whole thing. If the weather is good one day this week, I'm taking off and finishing. Hopefully it will cooperate.

The hood, headlight covers and bumper are finished and cleared. The bumper didn't come out as good as I hoped and will need to be redo in the future. It primered fine but when I started putting color on it tried to raise in a couple of places around the outer lower holes. Part of it laid down but I've got one spot on the right side that looks blistered. Other that, it looks pretty good. The hood and head light covers came out really well. I've got one hair that I need to said out of the hood and the hood does have a some orange peel to it. The head light covers look pretty good and are slick.

As for the rest of the car, I got color on the driver's side, the roof, the hatch, the rear bumper, the right fender and part of the right quarter panel before I ran out of paint. I knew that was going to happen but like a dumb ass I didn't pick up more before hand. I've got a few spots on the roof and the driver's side that need a little more color to cover the primer I used in spots. I think it will cover it OK. If I was doing it again, I would probably use a primer sealer. This is my first paint job so I'm learning. Spraying was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Here are some update pictures. I got the hood and front bumper back on but forgot to take the camera back with me. I'll get some updated shots in the next couple of days with those back on.

A couple of shots before I started teardown and final prep.

The last time you'll see the multicolored front end!

Hood and bumper off!

After washing.

Wiping it down prior to painting. Mom's a trooper. She's always helped me with auto projects. Thanks Mom!!

Project supervisor

Passenger side after final wipe down.

Last shot before painting.

After color. I still have to go back over it after I get more paint and then clear coat.

Head light covers and hood vents colored and cleared.

Hood colored and cleared.

Bumper

That's it for now. It's been a long weekend and I heading for bed. I post more updates later.

Now I'm up to date in both places. I'll post more as the progress continues.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Your Dragon sig no longer applies. YAY!

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

CelicaTech Supporter 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST has too many green lights. 90CelicaST's Avatar
    90CelicaST has donated to the forums! 90CelicaST helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. 90CelicaST helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Woo hoo. Now I can go back to being the red car with the unmatching parts

Looks like a sweet project. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I don't like people.

I don't like going out.

That is why my friends are all on the interwebz. That way when I don't feel like being sociable, I just close the window.

Thanks guys.

Hopefully if the weather is good Friday and I can get off work, the painting will be done.

Next up will be installing the 205 WTA intercooler. I got a most excellent deal from a member over at Alltrac.net on a Cobra heat exchanger so I'm going to use it rather than the Hayabusa radiator I had purchased earlier. I think it will be a lot easier to mount on the car. I think the bike radiator would have worked fine but but this will be a lot easier to put in. I'm hoping to get that done before the fall Dragon meet.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ok, here it is finished. It's not perfect. I've got some runs in the clear that I have to sand out and I've got a few other spots I'll have to wet sand, but for a first all over paint job, I'm pretty happy.

Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Man, that looks sweet, that car has come really far. You do us two WV celica owners proud!

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Hey, I do what I can. Thanks!

There are three or four 5th gens cruising around here in the Nitro/St. Albans area. I need to hunt them down and get them on here. The cars don't look too bad. They'd make good additions.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

I don't know you anymore.

P.S. Change your user title!

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Don't worry Chris, I'll still stash parts in the back for you!
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Since the car is now one color, I decided it would be a good time put the JDM front side marker lights in that I bought over a year ago. I also put in the two out grilles in the CS bumper as well. It's a little dark but you can see the side markers. It's getting there.

Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

looks great man!!!!!!

Thanks! It doesn't look like the same car. I had a neighbor last night ask me if I had gotten a new car. It had looked same pretty much since had it.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Killer!

Looks great man! Good job on the 'trac!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

One word, GORGEOUS!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Freshnicity will become famous soon enough

Great job man.

What spray gun did you use?
    92 Toyota Celica ST(Died May 18th, 2009)
    90 Toyota Celica GT(Bertha The Beast)
    89 Toyota MR2 SC(Yet To Be Named)

"I still need to go through the interior light wiring and try to figure out why my dome lights don't work with the doors. They work from the switches and when I open the rear hatch, but they won't come on with the door."

Thats funny, I have the same exact problem. They don't come on unless I have the trunk open; but the manual switches work fine. Oddly enough they were working tonight when I finally pulled in for the night. I figured it was a loose wire that maybe fell in place or something. Haven't touched electrical besides a TT that I put in a week ago, and that didn't seem to affect it. Took it to the car wash today and thats about it. I figured I just had two bad door sensors. Let me know you find out, should would be nice to make use of those door lights on my street, keep my doors intact when they're open at night.

Good job on the paint work!!! Gonna take a clay bar to mine tomorrow and see what happens.

P.S. Now that its painted you got change your little sig thingy under your name.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshnicity

What spray gun did you use?
    I used a Neiko HVLP gun I bought from a vendor on Amazon. It is seemingly well made gun. It worked really good for this project. I used 1.5 tip. From what I read after I got the gun, this was probably the upper limit tip wise. 1.3 to 1.5 was the recommended spread that I found after I got the gun. I recommend this one though. I had good luck with it.
    Mike
    92 All Trac-Daily Driver

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Freshnicity will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Alltrac
    I used a Neiko HVLP gun I bought from a vendor on Amazon. It is seemingly well made gun. It worked really good for this project. I used 1.5 tip. From what I read after I got the gun, this was probably the upper limit tip wise. 1.3 to 1.5 was the recommended spread that I found after I got the gun. I recommend this one though. I had good luck with it.
    Cool stuff. Think ill be picking one up to do my car with.

Your paint turned out great, good job. Car looks like a whole other car.
    92 Toyota Celica ST(Died May 18th, 2009)
    90 Toyota Celica GT(Bertha The Beast)
    89 Toyota MR2 SC(Yet To Be Named)

Thread Information