CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default ST165 Sprint and fast road car

hi all,
    Given links to site by redrkt01.
    This is my Celica GT4, called Trinity.

Full spec list
    Engine Mods

Stock Gen 1 3SGTE short block
    Re conditioned cylinder head
    Stock cams
    Steel TRD Head gasket 1.2mm
    ARP head bolts
    New OEM parts
    Starter Motor
    Water Pump
    Alternator
    Thermostat
    New Temp sensors
    New O2 sensor
    New knock sensor
    New Ignitor
    New coil
    Blue print HT leads
    Re built Distributor
    CT26 hybrid turbo
    Aussie 3" downpipe
    Mongoose 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with 4.5" slash cut tail pipe
    Straight Intake
    Custom sealed Cold Air box
    Ali Catch can with Aeroquip hosing
    Mocal 11 row Oil cooler for Power steering with aeroquip Hosing
    Mocal 16 row Oil cooler for Gearbox with aeroquip Hosing
    Aluminium Rad Tec radiator 60% more efficient
    All New Water hoses
    Evo 6 Injectors
    Blitz SUS filter
    Iridium grade 4 plugs
    3 Bar Map sensor
    HKS EVC 3 boost controller
    Haltech E6X Ecu currently mapped to 269.5 bhp at 1.0bar boost
    FMIC
    2" inter cooler pipe work
    Heat shielded Turbo, down pipe and air box
    ST185 Drivers side Engine (mount to be fitted)
    Re-newed OEM engine mounts
    Stripped Out Air conditioning
    Re located Battery
    Varley Red Top 25 Battery
    Electrical cut out switch

Gearbox and drive train
    ST205 gearbox
    ST205 Clutch
    Fidanza Flywheel
    ARP flywheel bolts
    ST185 RC gear lever
    ST185 RC Rear Diff with LSD Group A Xtrac internals (to be fitted)

Suspension
    Front
    KYB AGX adjustable inserts
    Whiteline Flat out front springs
    White line Anti lift Kit
    Whiteline Front ARB 27mm
    Tein Pillow ball top mounts
    Poly bushed though out
    Whiteline Front strut Brace

Rear
    New Rear Shocks
    Whiteline Flat out Springs
    Whiteline Rear adj ARB
    Poly bushed ARB
    New OEM bushed subframe
    Rear Camber Bolts
    Whiteline Rear Strut Brace

Brakes
    Front ST185 RC calipers Newly refurbed
    Pagid Front pads
    Black diamond Front Grooved Discs
    Goodridge Hoses
    Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid
    ST185 Rear discs and with ST165 Calipers and standard OEM pads

Wheels
    Road Use
    17" x 7.5" Compomotive MO 5 Spoke wheels in gun metal
    205 40 17" Yokohama Parada 2 Tyres
    Track Use
    16" x 7" 7 spoke Lightweight rims painted in satin Black
    215 50 16" Toyo R888 Track tyres
    Lightweight Rays Wheel Nuts

Body
    Sprayed in the original Super Red 2
    Custom cut out bonnet with black Mesh
    Custom cut out vents in front passenger wing with Black Mesh leading to cold air box
    Enlarged cooling ducts in front bumper
    Trim removed for FMIC
    De Badged
    Corona Clear side indicators, with side lights
    Raybrig Clear Headlights
    Clear oval side repeaters

Interior
    Partially stripped rear interior
    Front seats are Cobra Monaco S bucket seats in black to FIA spec
    Drivers seat bolted straight to the floor
    ECU mounted in the Glove Box
    A pillar Mounted Boost gauge
    Stainless steel dial surround
    Mountney M sport Steering Wheel
    Sparco drilled Pedals
    Rich brock touring car Gear lever

ICE
    Pioneer DP7600 Head unit
    Boston 4.5 front component speakers with dash mounted Tweeters

To do list
    Fit Engine mount and Rear Diff
    Fit oil filter re location kit along with oil cooler
    Fit Wabro 255 Fuel pump
    Fit Brake stopper

Fit the following gauges
    Oil pressure / oil temp
    Water Temp
    EGT gauge
    Fuel air ratio gauge
    Fit Intake temp gauge

Remap to 1.2 bar

Port and polish of Exhaust Manifold
    ST162 side feed manifold with custom plugged sensors.

Replace rear shocks with AGX inserts
    Replace current whiteline springs with lower stiffer items.
    Fit uprated front anti roll bar
    Get car set up and corner weighted again

Revised engine bay following My first event of 09.

First event report.

The office.

2nd event report

Revising the suspension for lower springs, replacing front ARB etc.

Front camber

Rear

Loads of pics, lots of info as well, ask away, more than happy to share info / tips etc.

I race in the toyota sprint series, last year, my best result was 5th in class, 11th overall. We race in the wet and in the dark, will post more info in the motorsports section.

Brands Hatch
    Last edited by alwayzsidewayz; 05-30-2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: extra info

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Sweet Car and setup man.
    Makes me want mine up and running again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

nice power out of a basically stock motor

Celica GT check list
    [x] Buy said Celica
    [x] Make celica run to spec
    [x] Fix celica body work
    [ ] New Suspension
    [ ] Make celica body kit
    [ ] New paint job
    [ ] Fix up interior *custom
    [ ] upgrade forced induction
    [ ] Enter into HIN*, NOPI, SEMA
    [ ] Drive 2 days to Dragon

Pics will be updated when the following is complete.

Cheers guys, the aim for the engine, is to keep it reliable, and responsive on track. Bigger power, would mean greater risk. ( bottom end has done over 100k miles), plus my sprint championship is not just about big power cars, its how you use that power, and drivability. On track mine responds like a big n/a car, with very little lag, and a progressice power delivery, great for carrying speed through corners.
    I gained over 20bhp, from the ECU, I think one I have uprated the fuel pump and gone to 1.2 bar, ultimate power will be closer to 300bhp, which will suit me fine.
    As it stands, I can launch the car at 5.5k and often beat much higher powered ST205s, as they can take a bit of time to get on boost.
    My flat shift system will help me make the most of the power too.. keeping the turbo just in the sweet spot.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Beautiful. Welcome aboard.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Member rev_head will become famous soon enough

yep its awesome on this forum to!

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh has a brilliant future Cavanagh's Avatar
    Cavanagh has donated to the forums!

Images

Wow that looks like a blast! I wish i could do that series! Nice car too! I love the picture of it going through the water. Just like the STxxx's were built for!
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

Car has settled nicely on its new springs.

Bloomin Sunlight makes car look orange.

Stripped out rear

excuse the tools and rags behind the seats, but always take tools out in car!

The magic switch, crap pic I know!! but its so much fun when activated...

I dont run the flat shift system on the road as its pretty damn hard on the turbo and manifold, but on track it should make a huge difference.
    It also sounds proper sexy, like a mini rally car....

Was a lot of work to avoid rubbing on the front wheel arches with my R888s on, still not convinced it wont rub out on track but, we will see.

last prep to before next weeks race meet, is oil and plug change and fit a shift light.

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.
    Sponsored by Red Rocket Performance and design.

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Ha ha, until the last pic I was wondering why you had the switch to the right of the coin holder. Then I remembered that was the correct side for across the pond. *smacks self*

Looking fantastic!

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Ha ha, its funnywhen you look, there are so many coin slots you can pop out and use for other switches, 4 in the centre console, and then 1 further one in the lower dash. I think toyota UK were obsesed with drivers having enough change!!

cheers for the kind comments on this thread guys, in the UK sometimes its just all about the later GT4s.

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.

nice ride man! toyota in the UK seems more popular than the usa
    Custom Intake
    Universal Muffler
    Hawk HP Brake Pads
    2002 MR2 Spyder Wheels
    Lowered By Zenn Springs 1.8" dropped

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alwayzsidewayz
    Ha ha, its funnywhen you look, there are so many coin slots you can pop out and use for other switches, 4 in the centre console, and then 1 further one in the lower dash. I think toyota UK were obsesed with drivers having enough change!!
    Oh, we have them all too. I just put a switch in the left one because that's the correct side for us.

The Coupe:
    The Hatch:

hey i never noticed before but your centre console is a different design/shape to mine.
    this is mine

is that a pre/post facelift, 165/162 diffenernce or Countrys? as i said iv never noticed it before
    P.S. please excuse a filth, its been to cold for me to go outside and clean it lol

it may be a pre post thing, as I am sure 162s of the same age as mine have similar consoles.

Bahhh poor 4th gen stuck out in the cold and all fillthy!! LOL

hmm well mines a pre but im prity sure its the same over here in the posts.
    and yer poor thing, plus as were not allowed to wash our cars with out going to a car wash i cant afford to wash it at the moment lol

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Looks like you don't have the cruise and power seat buttons. There is another option also available which has a button for locking the diff.

Very cool setup, love to see a 165 that gets driven!

What is the material you have used for heat shielding? Looks cool.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

1994 ST205 WRC

The heat sheilding is a product called Nimbus, it actually has pockets of air in it, so resists heat better.

Its very easy to cut / mould etc, and available in three different thickness to cope with different applications.

The only down side is that you have to purchase a big sheet, to get a decent price, its fine when you have a lot of applications, but expensive when used in small applications.

Cheers for the comments, the 165 gets a proper thrashing out on track, as it should be.

The early JDM 165s are the only ones with the manual locking diff, mine being 3477 in the build has the later arrangement as most did.

Your car looks awsome! I hope my car can look like that some day.
    Red st165
    White st165
    Black st165 (finally gone)

Ultimo Miembro Fantįstico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Very cool, took a look. Definitely pricey but I bet worth the investment.

1994 ST205 WRC

oh yeah, its great stuff, so much better than lagging. I have kept the turbo heat sheild, just moulded the nimbus round it, you can touch the manifold after about 10mins after a track thrash, just fantastic stuff.

We lined the airbox to, and their are custom sheilds made from the stuff protecting the alternator, gearbox oil cooling pipe and some oil pipes etc.

As I said, it only really works if you can use it lots of places, my down pipe and exhaust are still lagged the traditional way as well.

Heat management for me is big priority, given the nature of use of the car.

Very cool = good pun lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by 88st165
    Your car looks awsome! I hope my car can look like that some day.
    Thank you mate, I know we converse on the other sites and I know you have a real feel for the 165s, so chuffed with your feedback.

plus I love Red 165s so love your motor too, plus I know you track yours too :burn:

Well the best laid plans can all go so wrong.

The last race we did, finished poorly for us, the front ARB we fiited did not work, giving us huge understeer issues, so that had to be taken off, and to top it all I did this to my intercooler.

So massive boost leak and shed loads of understeer did not work out at all for me, and I finished well down in my class.
    Got car back from sprint and needed to get it MOT tested which is a UK test for road worthyness.
    It failed on numerous points, the worst being emissions!
    tried to get a decent custom sized intercooler from a regonised supplier. not a hope, all on back order. Grew desperate and finally sourced this one for pretty little cash.

not fantastic, but as was on a tight budget it was the way to go.
    Fitted it this weekend just gone.
    old vs new

The other coolers you can see are for the gearbox and the PAS.
    I was quite pleased with the overall fit.

When I get time, I will make up some blank plates for either side of it.
    I have added some mesh to protect it from debris
    Thanks to Kevin at Red Rocket these goodies have turned up.

However I have run out of time to complete the rear re build, so it will have wait until after the next race I can do.
    This will be on the 8th Aug, as at present the car is still at the garage, awaiting re mapping to get though the MOT test.
    The plan with the rear of the car is as follows
    Fit replacement rear subframe, which I will seam weld before building up.
    poly frame mounts
    Supra Sperical bushes
    poly bushes for rest of the suspension
    205 control arms
    poly rear diff mount
    new OEM bolts
    KYB AGX conversion for rear shocks
    New Walbro fuel pump
    re make brake lines / strip out ABS, add bias adjuster
    Fit Xtrac Group A rear diff with LSD
    re new any fixings etc for Fuel tank

In addition I have a full set of ST185 front and rear EBC discs, grooved and dimpled, plus Yellow stuff pads to fit all round. Brake lines will be copper.

I have also just purchased a complete low miles gen 1 3sge, which I will be taking the cams and the inlet manifold from as well as the throttle body, plan to fit these in conjunction with some ATS cam gears and do the shimless buckets conversion.

I have a re conditioned crack free spare gen 1 3sgte head, that is going off for some porting and polishing work from a motorsports supplier.

So once everything engine wise is ready,I will drop the motor and trans out, give the bootom end a re fresh with new bearings and piston rings if needed and fit all the new parts.

Should be a good fun motor them

Images

ouch! no chance of re-welding that eh? Any idea to what is the main culprit of the failed emissions test?

Also just curious - do you know what % is used for drivetrain loss on your dyno?

1994 ST205 WRC

I dont think the boost leak helped the emissions, but to be honest when I showed my engine mapper the anaylsis, he was a bit concerned, so I dont know why the figures were so off, as the car passed the same test with the same map last year. hopefully on the dyno we can work out why. I do know that my plugs were very tired, and coated from running too rich, a syptom i think of the boost leak. Everytime the car gets mapped I use new plugs anyway. I use the copper ones rather than Irridiums, as I can get them for £6 a set. plus no risk of any det breaking the tips off.

Re the dyno for drivetrain losses, I dont know off top off my head, if had that much time on the dyno lol, will find out for you though.

yeah and that cooler was a pain, as when it was not underboost the split held together, then went open under load, so I missed it when checking over the car. grrr

Thread Information