CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

Default Nam's new engine!

so shortly before summer started my car had overheated and warped my head. re milling the head would have cost me near 800$ so i went ahead about bought a new 5sfe with a 3 month warranty and installation for $1100. my engine had more then 188 thousand miles. the new engine is from a 92 celica with 80 thousand miles. I'm quite happy about that but for the price i wish i had enough for a 3sgte but i needed a running car asap. here are a couple teaser pics.

sorry for the cell phone pics. i'll try to take better ones as it progresses.
    getting towed =(

getting ready to drop the engine.

as always when doing a project we usually find it costs more then planned due to problems we find along the way. i found out i had a bad rack and pinion and a bad axel =(

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

Well, its easier to replace those things when the engine is coming out...

I hope it goes smoothly man..
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

When I did my swap I wish I would have had enough money to do a bunch of things. I was also in a time crunch like you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Religion has many gods. For this tribe, this is their God.
    **New and improved wavy effect!!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light

Images

a little update...
    the car was done and everything, we double checked the fluids before we cranked her and it would start but died right afterward. the shop told me its most likely the fuel pump cuz they checked for fuel and its not pumping. so i bought a new one and it works fine now and finally when i was driving home it worked fine and suddenly at every stop light the rpms would slowly die and eventually hit 0 and stall. this was unfortunate as i was in heavy traffic now so after about 5 times of restarting the car i pulled into a parking lot and called the shop. they told me to adjust my air idle control, which i did and it idles fine and dosent stall anymore, just dont like my idle being so high now. and not only that, i hear a very light tapping noise CLEARLY coming from the engine. so i took it back to the shop and once again i must wait...

but replacing the rack and pinion though costly made my steering much lighter. but now my wheel is a little un-aligned.

Well man, I am glad your car is back on the road, if you need anything though, just send me a text, and I will help you with what I can.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.

Images

sadly i didnt do the swap myself so there is a lack of pics =( i'll post pics up soon of the finished swap though.

Images

I have had a tremendous amount of valve noise upon startup.... It does not sound good, the noise goes away after 1 or 2 seconds, but for the first few seconds it makes a noise similar to knock. is this an oil pressure problem?? Is there some sort of oil return valve that prevents oil from draining all the way to the sump that could have gone bad, therfore I am experiencing a oil less noisy startup. Or is this perhaps a timing issue? Sloppy timing chain or belt or tensioner?

i also had an idle issue that i masked by playing with the idle air control. i found out the 2 screws that hold this sensor in are not even there. so every time i'd step on the throttle it would dump in fuel but would not recognize it until 4k rpms and it twisted the sensor giving a very rough and sudden acceleration. it also made my car stall if i was hard on the gas and shifted into neutral and let it coast. i must say i am not happy with this new engine, or the quality of the swap.
    Last edited by celica91gts; 06-28-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Freshnicity will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by celica91gts
    I have had a tremendous amount of valve noise upon startup.... It does not sound good, the noise goes away after 1 or 2 seconds, but for the first few seconds it makes a noise similar to knock. is this an oil pressure problem?? Is there some sort of oil return valve that prevents oil from draining all the way to the sump that could have gone bad, therfore I am experiencing a oil less noisy startup. Or is this perhaps a timing issue? Sloppy timing chain or belt or tensioner?

i also had an idle issue that i masked by playing with the idle air control. i found out the 2 screws that hold this sensor in are not even there. so every time i'd step on the throttle it would dump in fuel but would not recognize it until 4k rpms and it twisted the sensor giving a very rough and sudden acceleration. it also made my car stall if i was hard on the gas and shifted into neutral and let it coast. i must say i am not happy with this new engine, or the quality of the swap.
    Thats strange that the shop didnt notice those screws missing from the get go.

Are you talking about the Throttle Position Sensor screws, or something else?

Hope you get it worked out, dont let that shop get off the hook, make them fix it until it runs right.
    92 Toyota Celica ST(Died May 18th, 2009)
    90 Toyota Celica GT(Bertha The Beast)
    89 Toyota MR2 SC(Yet To Be Named)

Images

yeah, they are 2 screws that hold the throttle position sensor in place. i also took my car back to the shop about the noise and they said the engine is covered in the warranty for 3 months, so they told me just to drive it and if it gets worse then just take it back and they will order a new one but i'll still have to pay for labor. simply ridiculous.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

The tapping is probably from valve lash. You probably just need it re-shimmed. Honestly tho, if its just at start up and goes away after 1 or 2 seconds, I wouldn't worry about it cuz it probably is just making noise until the oil pressure reaches it. The head is the last place to get oil pressure. There is something called an Accusump I believe that would help with this.

Sounds like your talking about he tps sensor where the two screws are missing. You have to get those in asap and then adjust the sensor and shouldn't drive the car without them in.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Quote Originally Posted by joe's gt
    The tapping is probably from valve lash. You probably just need it re-shimmed. Honestly tho, if its just at start up and goes away after 1 or 2 seconds, I wouldn't worry about it cuz it probably is just making noise until the oil pressure reaches it. The head is the last place to get oil pressure. There is something called an Accusump I believe that would help with this.

Sounds like your talking about he tps sensor where the two screws are missing. You have to get those in asap and then adjust the sensor and shouldn't drive the car without them in.
    +1 for not driving until you get those screws.

Hit the junkyard, those are easy to find, plentlyfull.

Joes right about the valve noises during start up. That oil has to circulate up through the engine till it reaches the rest of the engine. There are products out there, that are made to help with those dry starts. As long as it goes away, wouldnt worry to much. Does it make the noise upen acceleration, AFTER the car is fully warm?

Images

after 1 or 2 seconds the volume of the noise drops considerably. even after the motor is warm and at normal operating temps, if i pop the hood and i lightly play with the throttle body rev it up lightly to 1500 or 2k rpms and let it simmer back down to idle i can hear it tapping as the revs drop down. as for the other issue i went to the yard and picked up those two screws =) put them in, pita because it's so close to the firewall but it's fine now.

Images

so guys, i was driving pretty spiritedly on mt lemmon and all of a sudden on the uphill stirght away it's not producing the power i was used to. flooring it in 3rd and it was only going 60 and losing speed so i checked my temp gauge and it was raising. i pulled over and turn the heater on and let her cool down, inspected and found my radiator cap is leaking pressure. not a bad fix, let it cool down coast back home and buy a new one tomorrow. about 30 min later i crank it and all i hear is grinding. i get back out and pop the hood. you wont believe what i found. pics in a bit.

Images

yes this is my starter. i looked everywhere for the second bolt that might have come off. my guess is that the guy who did my swap only put in one. but i know this happened right then. how else did i start my car to start driving? upon getting it towed home i took the starter off and examined the teeth, pretty badly chewed up but the flywheel seemed fine.

how could this have happened? even if it's only held in by one bolt it cant just break my started bracket unless a huge amount of force was produced. i'm raged.

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

OUCH!!! This is why I work on my own car. Sometimes you just can't help it tho if you don't have the tools and a garage to work in. Bummer man. Is it possible you could have someone turn the crank with a wrench while you look at the flywheel to make sure no teeth are chewed up? I assume the starter gear is made of a material that would break before the flywheel would, but idk.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Images

after i found that i called a friend to bring some tools. i took that bolt off and tried bolting it on through the other hole and tried to start the car. it just made horrible grinding noises. so i just gave up and left it in the parking lot and called the tow truck the next day. i have not examined the teeth yet it is currently at the guys shop. honestly horrible. it's not even that, i have a garage and tools minus the engine jack and what not but at the time i was in school a month before finals so i was pressed for time. i'm really disappointed at the quality of this guys work. should have just rolled up the sleeves and swapped it myself.

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

That sucks. I'm assuming he doesn't gaurantee any of his work?

Images

the engine is warrantied for 3 months. if i want another engine to be swapped i just have to pay the labor of 300$ i think i'm just going to do that because this engine has that knocking noise upon start up and still makes it when warm. but really for the amount i paid i think it would have been better investing it in a fully rebuilt 5sfe instead. getting a used engine is never a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by celica91gts
    the engine is warrantied for 3 months. if i want another engine to be swapped i just have to pay the labor of 300$ i think i'm just going to do that because this engine has that knocking noise upon start up and still makes it when warm. but really for the amount i paid i think it would have been better investing it in a fully rebuilt 5sfe instead. getting a used engine is never a sure thing.
    In a sense your right. At the same time though, it seems like this guy cut A LOT of corners, and didnt do the work right. I wouldn't pay a dime for labor if I were you, i'd tell him to rerpair it until it was done right, or youll call the BAR.

Its one thing to make an honest mistake. But seriously, THIS many?

Hope it works out man

I would help you if I was closer bro. I think its about time you call your cousins in to "Take care of this guy"

Lol.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Images

the mechanic said it would take about 3 weeks for him to finish the swap because he's swamped with cars so i ask him if i came down and worked on my car if he would charge me less for labor fees and he said sure, this is fine with me because i trust my own work better and now i dont have to pay as much for labor. these are the past 3 days working on the car.
    1st & 2nd day: I got the small things out of the way, dropped the tranny and pulled the engine.

3rd day:
    just a pic of my first engine with the valve cover off. ewwy

i bought a couple bottles of purple power and got to cleaning my tranny and new engine. i'm also swaping some rusted water lines from my other 2 5sfes and w/e else is rusted with prettier looking ones =)
    i opened up the valve cover on the new engine and it is unbelievably clean. check it out bitches. holy crap huuh?

the valve cover i cleaned up a bit.

for some reason my intake manitold and throttle body are horribly dirty with caked up oil on the inside. but no matter, i left it soaking in a tub of purple power today before going home.
    before:

sensor from the manifold just to show how dirty is was inside.

he better be giving me a hell of a discount on labor, so far he hasn't helped me at all. but hes letting me use his tools and his air conditioned garage so i can't complain much. also buys lunch and provides the drinks =)

Images

it's nice to finally see an engine who's previous owner had frequent oil changes.

Looking good bro. Keep up the good work!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R

you dropped that engine fast. Makes me thinkg dropping a 5s is cakework

good work

Images

thanks man. it was pretty hard, prying those axles were especially, the one i just replaced slid right out though =) so it wasn't too bad.

Thread Information