CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 5th gen straight4 or V6

summer is comming and tire needs to burn. I've had enought of my 5sfe and look for more power(400-500hp) but i can't make my mind between the 3sgte, the 3sge beam black top,the 3VZ-FE or 4VZ-FE.
    I think i'll go with the one i'll be able to find first(or if anyone has suggestions for the power amount i'm looking for i'm open to anything.
    My problem goes with the tranny i've seen a lot of post on a lot of forum but i've been unable to fin if there was a 6-speed tranny i could fit on one of those engines.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

400 to 500 hp? possible but not easy. you must have deep pockets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

eh, buy a 82-85 celica, then swap a 7mgte in it and do mods, id probally be cheaper than obtaining 500hp from a fwd economy v6
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

ok maybe i forgot to say that target No1 is i think the 5th gen shape has the nicest curves( this debate is not the point of this topic) so i want to keep it. maybe as a future project the 7mgte could be nice to work out .
    The question here is just wich engine would be easier to squeze out this amount of power.
    6s has usually more powers than 4s but with the F head on V6 and G head on 4 ????
    is there any chance a F head won't give me enought airflow for this kind of tuning?
    Last edited by dje; 04-28-2009 at 07:06 AM.

Ever driven a 500hp front driver?

3sgte is the only semi-logical choice out of what you provided.

I think if you dropped in a black top BEAMS you would probably have enough power, and you would have an engine that nobody else around has.

It won't get you anywhere close to 300-400hp, but I'm sure it would be quick, responsive, and much better balanced then all those ponies your lusting after.

She won't be going anywhere for a good while.
    But i still love her...

In the words of Archimedes, "Give me a long enough lever, and a place to rest it, or I will kill a hostage every hour."

Quote Originally Posted by ciento44
    Ever driven a 500hp front driver?
    This.

I do not think that you have the slightest clue of what will be involved in such a build and how silly the final product will be like. You will be spending north of $8,000 to make 400-500HP in an extremely common, cheap, and econo-oriented platform. IMO, just not worth it.

If you have thousands of dollars burning in your wallet and want a 500HP 5th Gen, my best advice is to buy an Alltrac and send your car to ATS Racing, KO Racing, etc. This route will be much more worthwhile. AT >>> FWD 5th Gen.

However, if you are like most of us (on a limited budget), a more realistic 160-180WHP FWD Celica is more than enough. To achieve this, you can go Camry V6, 3SGTE, or 5SFTE. Pick 3SGTE if you want room to grow. IMHO, if I had an itching for more power in the 5th Gen, I'd stick with 160-180WHP and go V6 or 5SFTE.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2trd3
    This.

I do not think that you have the slightest clue of what will be involved in such a build and how silly the final product will be like. You will be spending north of $8,000 to make 400-500HP in an extremely common, cheap, and econo-oriented platform. IMO, just not worth it.

If you have thousands of dollars burning in your wallet and want a 500HP 5th Gen, my best advice is to buy an Alltrac and send your car to ATS Racing, KO Racing, etc. This route will be much more worthwhile. AT >>> FWD 5th Gen.

However, if you are like most of us (on a limited budget), a more realistic 160-180WHP FWD Celica is more than enough. To achieve this, you can go Camry V6, 3SGTE, or 5SFTE. Pick 3SGTE if you want room to grow. IMHO, if I had an itching for more power in the 5th Gen, I'd stick with 160-180WHP and go V6 or 5SFTE.
    Yeah, you put it about what i was going for.

I'm a huge hypocrite though.

The main number that you threw out there.... north of $8k. That's JUST for motor work. Minimum. From there, tranny, clutch. (Another.... $1200, figure.) Then for this kind of power, the rest of the car will have to be perfect. New suspension, bushings, endlinks, mounts, etc....

In the end, you have a $15k car that is next to uncontrollable..... If that's your thing, DO go ahead and do it. If you like an easy to drive car, then do not do this.

I'm just special. That is all. I've driven 600+whp civics, and i LOVED every second of it.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light

Images

you know what a burden it is to have a car that heavily modded to 400-500 hp for an ff car? it will not be enjoyable to drive the only only time you could ever hope to tap into that power is on a long straight away so if your into crazy free way sprints i guess. but city driving is going to suck due to the lag with the huge turbo you use to achieve 400-500. honestly maybe shoot for 250 or 300 hp max? it's enough to shit your pants. it's not all about power. its how much you weigh as well. a boosted celica with 200 hp could beat a mustang with 300 hp. catch my drift? =)

I think he's just shooting for the moon guys, just like we all did when we first started, so let's try to keep the criticism constructive.
    Quote Originally Posted by celica91gts
    honestly maybe shoot for 250 or 300 hp max? it's enough to shit your pants. it's not all about power. its how much you weigh as well.
    Truest thing said yet. All of the people I've spoken with that have done a 3sgte swap into a fwd Celica are very satisfied with the results.
    But more importantly, putting power beyond 300hp to the ground in a fwd Celica is nearly impossible because of the simple fact that parts you need to handle those power levels just aren't available. Example- cv axles. Not saying it can't be done, but the money you have to invest in just those two parts to hold that power is immense.

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

important question...

Are you going to do this work yourself? or have it done by a professional?

I have swapped in one 3SGTE, I have a second one that I am about to start rebuilding for my other Celica because I am very happy with the first one. I can't imagine what a 400-500WHP FWD celica would be like...really I think I would agree it would be too much.

Although if I didn't already have all the parts either in hand or on the way then I would be seriously considering doing the 3VZFE swap instead, just because it's cool.

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

WOW thanks for advices averyone.
    now that i conmputed the turbo specs i would need to do this on the 3s i realize it is almost impossible to get a good response with that amount of power on a 4 and trying to keep it a bit fuel economic when not on track the V6 is out of there so the plan is gonna be either a beam blacktop or a gen3or4 3s and taget hp as ben reduce to somewhere around 350.
    just a note i am in my last year of ingeneering school (not meaning i know everything)and if a part does not exist there is always a way to make it i know it can get the cost going up in an exponential way but if it worth it.... important thing in the price of something is time spent on desing and i get that part done myself also.

so the project is now moved to a 3S (GE or GTE) swap depending on availability of the blocks around here. Crank it to 300+hp.

the main problem i still have is transmission. is the stock one from the 5SFE going to survive this power? is there a 6-speed i could match it?(juste that 6-speed tranny sounds cool)

To answer your questions:

1) If going with the 3SGE, your S53 or S54 will work fine. This is actually the same tranny used in JDM land. If going with the 3SGTE, you will need to go with the E153 from the MR2 or Camry/Solara. You will need some hybrid axles to make it work. MR2 inners and Alltrac outers, IIRC.

2) No 6 speed readily available for a cost-efficient and workable conversion. The 5 speed is good enough. Rock solid and geared appropriately for the 3SGTE.

3) If shooting for only 300+HP (I'm assuming ~300whp), your best option is to go with a Gen3 3SGTE. This route will be the cheapest in the long run, most reliable, and have the best driveability. As a rule of thumb, for anything less than 275whp and anything greater than 350whp, stick with a Gen2. For anything in between, go with a Gen3. This is simply from a cost and benefits perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dje
    WOW thanks for advices averyone.
    now that i conmputed the turbo specs i would need to do this on the 3s i realize it is almost impossible to get a good response with that amount of power on a 4 and trying to keep it a bit fuel economic when not on track the V6 is out of there so the plan is gonna be either a beam blacktop or a gen3or4 3s and taget hp as ben reduce to somewhere around 350.
    just a note i am in my last year of ingeneering school (not meaning i know everything)and if a part does not exist there is always a way to make it i know it can get the cost going up in an exponential way but if it worth it.... important thing in the price of something is time spent on desing and i get that part done myself also.

so the project is now moved to a 3S (GE or GTE) swap depending on availability of the blocks around here. Crank it to 300+hp.

the main problem i still have is transmission. is the stock one from the 5SFE going to survive this power? is there a 6-speed i could match it?(juste that 6-speed tranny sounds cool)

Never knew 6 speed trannies made different noises...

if you want 300+ hp youll need a well built 3SGTE, i've got a 3SGE but not Beams and they will go unto 200hp on NA, so I can't imagine a Beams going further than 230 or 240hp.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2trd3
    To answer your questions:

1) If going with the 3SGE, your S53 or S54 will work fine. This is actually the same tranny used in JDM land. If going with the 3SGTE, you will need to go with the E153 from the MR2 or Camry/Solara. You will need some hybrid axles to make it work. MR2 inners and Alltrac outers, IIRC.

2) No 6 speed readily available for a cost-efficient and workable conversion. The 5 speed is good enough. Rock solid and geared appropriately for the 3SGTE.

3) If shooting for only 300+HP (I'm assuming ~300whp), your best option is to go with a Gen3 3SGTE. This route will be the cheapest in the long run, most reliable, and have the best driveability. As a rule of thumb, for anything less than 275whp and anything greater than 350whp, stick with a Gen2. For anything in between, go with a Gen3. This is simply from a cost and benefits perspective.
    IF shooting for 300whp, the S-series trannies will be fine if not abused horribly and every stoplight treated like a tree. We have multiple members that have run the S-series for years.

I'm not doing it, but it IS an option.

Just throwing the rest of the information out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ciento44
    IF shooting for 300whp, the S-series trannies will be fine if not abused horribly and every stoplight treated like a tree. We have multiple members that have run the S-series for years.

I'm not doing it, but it IS an option.

Just throwing the rest of the information out there.
    True. The S-series transmission can be used, but the downfall is improper gearing. Far from ideal for use with the 3SGTE.

Captain Lone Dragon Slayer... Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S has a spectacular aura about Carolina91GT-S's Avatar
    Carolina91GT-S has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Carolina91GT-S has donated to the forums!

funny...just bustin your balls but going into your 4th year of school you should know how to spell Engineering

Most recent update 8/30/2013

"You'll never make it"

"Nonsense, you only say never because no one ever has."

Images

^tehehe i thought the same thing. but we're just messing with you man.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

twin turbo v6 anybody?

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by hookecho
    twin turbo v6 anybody?
    Moar room pleez!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina91GT-S
    funny...just bustin your balls but going into your 4th year of school you should know how to spell Engineering
    No problem (also that english is not my first language )

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

just curious, you location is "Mtl"

may i ask where that is?

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

3S-GTE swap (gen 3) with an E153+LSD transmission. Should be good up until you shit your pants when you start modifying the motor.

I'm looking at a gen 2 3S-GTE swap with the above transmission, then when I get used to that, do a gen 3 conversion on the gen 2 motor.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

why waste the time and money to do gen 2 if your going to eventually go to gen 3?

And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Grot
    just curious, you location is "Mtl"

may i ask where that is?
    Montréal Qc, Canada

Thread Information