CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default all motor 5sfe build now toast

Well this is my 1990 Celica GT-S build as of right now the car is pretty basic but is getting parts added all the time.
    I've got some pics when i first got it but I need to get them off of my other computer. Here's the story of my celica, I got the car from my buddy mark(trumanpriest) for me helping him get his all trac running. The body is in great shape minus the few door dings and small surface rust around the rear wheels, but i'm not complaining.
    When I recieved the car it was bone stock with an apc air filter on the stock intake hose and a clutch masters stage two clutch in it. All that was about to change, the first of many things to come was the sound system and wheels. The wheels were from my old gt-s 16" Eagle Alloys, they have some curb rash on them but they look better than stock I plan on upgrading to some 17s later this summer.

The sound system consist of a 12" Kicker CVR subwoofer ran by a Kicker 350.2 amp with a Infinity 5.25" rear speakers driven by a Kicker 120.2 amp with every thing controled by a Pioneer head unit with a VR3 1 farad cap.

Not long after that I went with SSI lowering springs with a 1.75" drop all the way around and installed a stock All Trac front bumper along with the '93 tail lights. The reason I swapped to the '93 tail lights is because the '90 tail lights blend in too much with the red paint where the '93 tail lights stick out more.

Now that I had the exterior looking better it was time to work on the rest of the car. I started by going with an ebay 4-1 header along with a 2.5" exhaust exiting to an ebay muffler. Then I went with a mid 90s Neon front strut tower brace and a MX-6 rear strut brace and modified them to fit( thanks for the write up 92gt sorry I didn't have you do it but I'm more of a do it yourself kind of guy). After that I went with ebay cold air intake, and I decided to remove the the cruise control conjunction box which ment I had to modify the throttle bracket on the intake manifold to make the throttle cable fit. I also went through painted the fuse box covers just to add a little color to the engine bay and added a GReddy oil catch tank.

Next was to spice up the interior a little bit so I added a Netami steering wheel and a black with red stich shift boot and a Apexi SAFC Neo.

I also picked up a set JDM yellow fog lights and here are some more pics of the car and will keep upgrading.

Last edited by celica1990gts; 06-02-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Good work, 1990. You're moving in the right direction.
    Last edited by grayscale; 04-28-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

Looks nice. Do you have a spare 5sfe to begin your build on?
    Last edited by grayscale; 04-28-2009 at 09:33 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the ebay parts are just start with i have another motor all ripped apart. so far on the other motor i have eagle h beam rods, 3sgte valves, springs, retainers, toga racing oil pump, 3sgte water pump, dsm 450cc injectors. i'm working on getting colt 294 degree cams, cometic head gasket, pistons, timing belt, hot tanking and honing the block, p&p head and intake manifold, shaving the head 40th's, machining crank shaft to fit the rods, new freeze plugs, 8mm spark plug wires, areomotive fpr.
    so as you can see this project is far from done more pics to come!

Good job man, keep up the good work!!!

Im glad to know my write up helped you out!!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Quote Originally Posted by celica1990gts
    the ebay parts are just start with i have another motor all ripped apart. so far on the other motor i have eagle h beam rods, 3sgte valves, springs, retainers, toga racing oil pump, 3sgte water pump, dsm 450cc injectors. i'm working on getting colt 294 degree cams, cometic head gasket, pistons, timing belt, hot tanking and honing the block, p&p head and intake manifold, shaving the head 40th's, machining crank shaft to fit the rods, new freeze plugs, 8mm spark plug wires, areomotive fpr.
    so as you can see this project is far from done more pics to come!
    Out of curiosity... why the huge injectors?

Thread cleaned. Please keep in mind this is not a debate forum or even an opinion forum. These threads are simply here for some one show the work they are doing and for others to see it. Constructive comments and questions are welcome, but anything else is not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I think it is a cool idea that he is wanting to build a 5s. I mean, EVERYBODY swaps, and it would be cool to have a 5s build on the boards. I know people in the past have built a 5s, but it has been a while. Who knows, maybe he will get some crazy numbers from it.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.

Mustang Crew Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of Grot has much to be proud of
    Grot has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Grot has donated to the forums! Grot helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Grot helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

i would love to see a 5s build too. im interested in what kinda of numbers a good build can put down.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    And I had a mullet to prove it.

Originally Posted by BabyBear
    Ive decided youre gay.

Good day.

i'm the type of person that likes to stick out of the crowd. i thought about the 3sge 5sfte, 5sge, 3sgte, beams and even the v6. the 3sgte is out of the question cause damn near every celica owner has a 3sgte swap no offense guys i think its a great motor but i want to be different. i'm going against doing any of the jdm 3sge motors because this is the only car i have right now and if something breaks i can't afford to wait a week for the part to come in. maybe sometime in the future i can do a swap but i'll wait till i get another car before i try it.
    lets face the facts i'm not trying to build a 10 sec car here. if i was i would most likely choose another setup. i'm just trying to do something different with my car. the way i look at it is if you don't like what i'm doing i don't care. people who believe that the 3sgte is the only way go remind me of alot of the muscle car guys who believe that v8's are the only way to go. my cars going to be recieving more suspension work anyway for auto crossing.

i'm really good friends with my machinest he's really hooking me up on all the machine work. the 3sgte valvetrain i picked up was free, and i plan on keeping the motor non interference since no one makes an aftermarket timing belt for it. so my cams may not be 294 but something smaller i'm not sure i'm still researching that information. i plan on having the new motor in by the end of summer. like i said earlier i don't care if i have the fastest

You can go to 0.050" off the head and you won't be interference, so don't worry about that unless you get some big ol domed pistons, which are pretty much non existent for a 5s fit anyhow. You can run the 294s just fine, don't even need a tune at that point, but it does help to clean things up a bit in the higher rpms.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light celica91gts is a glorious beacon of light
    celica91gts has donated to the forums!

Images

dosent hookeh have a built 5sfe? im sure you could ask him some questions and for advice as well

--------Shadow's Minion army - member #4---------

I'll be the little spoon KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey has a reputation beyond repute KoreanJoey's Avatar
    KoreanJoey has been to an annual Dragon Meet! KoreanJoey has donated to the forums! KoreanJoey helped get Play's clutch job done. KoreanJoey helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. KoreanJoey helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mr2trd3
    If finding parts is what scares you, you have nothing to be concerned about with the 3SGE (non-BEAMS). Most of the parts are interchangeable with other Toyota motors (ie. 3SGTE and 5SFE) and some Toyota dealers can get Japan parts (see Aaron at Lithia Toyota).
    It's not as easy as you think... The guys at the dealerships want to help but Corporate is a PITA...

Quote Originally Posted by mr2trd3
    Oh, and you will have an interference motor when you're done. Say good bye if you ever moneyshift. (implied humor)
    No different than any other interference motor...

I'd say it's possible to make good power with a 5SFE but it is a lot of work and will probably take some money. I went the 3SGE route. It is a PITA to get parts (mostly because of the people deal with, and the fact that I'm used to getting parts super cheap).

OR Call: 1-877-810-7067
    -Part of the Mod Team-
    Joey; Turning Ricers into Racers, one convert at a time.

Originally Posted by MCcelica
    Joey wins this thread.

it is if it's the only car you have and something breaks and you got to wait a few days for the part to come in. I work anywhere from 5-7 days a week on the overnight shift at a gas station 10 miles away. so having to wait on parts to come in really sucks. all of the auto parts stores in the area keep the 5s parts on hand for me. i would like in the future do a 3sge swap into another 5th gen.

here are some of the parts for the engine that i have picked up
    toga racing oil pump

hastings chromoly piston rings

clevite main and rod bearings and thrust washers

3sgte water pump

not pictured is the 3sgte valve train, dsm injectors, and eagle h beam rods

and here are some pics of the car when i first got it and put the all trac front bumper and wheels on it.

y not do a 3sfe/5sfe hybrid... jus a thought

Quote Originally Posted by celicaGTS_T
    y not do a 3sfe/5sfe hybrid... jus a thought
    what would the point in that be?

I think he meant 3sge or 3sgte...... lol

Looking good man. Keep us updated on the progress!
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R

Lifetime Member joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt is a glorious beacon of light joe's gt's Avatar
    joe's gt has donated to the forums!

Sweet build yo. Are you doing anything for engine management or just using a stock ecue?

Also, I don't know much about the 5s, I realize they have the bigger displacement, but it would seem to me that 294 cams wouldn't give you much low end for autocross. Once again, not questioning you, just curious as to if such a big cam works well with the 5s.
    - Shadow's Minion Army - Grand Inquisitor -

This has been the best and most frustrating experience of my life. I thank my dad for all the help he has given me in this rare restoration. Now that the car is done, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

The Notorious P.I.G.
    Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho has too many green lights. Hookecho's Avatar
    Hookecho has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Hookecho has donated to the forums! Hookecho helped get Play's clutch job done. Hookecho helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

keep up the good work! you'll enjoy the extra pep from the motor.

"Pain and despair, damage and beatings, they don't end the world. The world ends when you're dead. You've got more punishment in store. Until then, stand it like a man and give some back".

Quote Originally Posted by joe's gt
    Sweet build yo. Are you doing anything for engine management or just using a stock ecue?

Also, I don't know much about the 5s, I realize they have the bigger displacement, but it would seem to me that 294 cams wouldn't give you much low end for autocross. Once again, not questioning you, just curious as to if such a big cam works well with the 5s.
    i've picked up an apexi safc neo piggyback unit and as far as the cams go i am still researching which would be best.

well i have ran into a snag the front main seal went out and i threw a rod bearing lucky engough i was able to catch it before it did any real damage. so i figured i would go through and replace the rod and main bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, oil pump, water pump,front main seal and camshaft seal. i've got everything pulled apart and should have it put back together and running by sat. will post pics by this weekend.

so today i was driving down the highway and my car started loosing power and just seconds later i heard a pop and my car died so as i was pulling over to the shoulder smoke started coming from under the hold so i hopped out and popped the hood and flames appeared. so i called 911 and told them that my car was on fire and 15-20 minutes after the 20,000,000 million questions the operator asked me the fire department showed up. the only thing left that i noticed that was still good on the car was the header and the muffler, everything else went up in flames! will post pics later this weekend.

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that.

Thread Information