CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default The evolution of Princess--56k OMG no!

I've always wanted to put together a post of my journey with my Alltrac. I met her through a friend who took her on trade. One owner, no rust, no accidents. A diamond in the rough. This is a photographic journey of her transformation. I will update and keep updating this soon. I "reserved" a few post spots because I have lots of pics.

Enjoy.

The day I first saw her:

The day she came home:

We begin after the teardown and paint. I wish I had taken pictures but I didn't. I stripped the car of the interior, glass, handles, the wing etc. All were painted with PPG Gloss Black. Here's the only pictures of the engine coming out for the body paint. . .

Around 160K on this old lump. It now sits in the basement for the big build(someday)

I only have this one pic of reinstalling the interior, mostly the stereo install. . .

[/img]
    Couldn't put the oily old lump back in, so off to NAD Auto to buy a front clip. Found a clip with 36k miles on it! Here's the clip after I removed the engine/trans. Took only a few minutes with a Sawzall!

The "new" engine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    I was deaf, sore and majorly pissed off

The transmission went off to Southern Gear for updated synchro's while I replaced every seal in the engine. New water pump, timing belt went in too. Sent various bits out for powder coat. Had the flywheel turned and put in a Clutch Masters stage 1 clutch. TRD wires, Iridium plugs, new cap/rotor, all new hosesHere's the engine all ready to go back in.

Trans is picked up from the shop.

And it all fits!

Fully assembled and running. Not a leak. Prrrr's like a kitten. Had I only known at this point how far I was going to go. . .

New shoes. . .

Everything was going great! Took her out for a test drive and all was perfect, except for the grinding in the 1-2 shift. Awe crap!!!! So out comes the whole shebang again! This time we go for more new parts in the trans and a chromoly lightweight flywheel. Add a stainless braided clutch line too.

Two weeks later and I'm back on the road with a smooth shifting Celica.

Then one day a JDM bumper shows up on ebay. Digging the round fog setup, two weeks later it's on the car.

TWM short shifter. . .

After this came the TEIN coilovers and Whiteline sway bar.

You think I'd be happy right? NOT! I made the mistake of hitting wikipedia. That's when I saw the RC/CS model and fell in lust. I had to have that hood and bumper setup. This would necessitate doing away with the ATA intercooler and installing either a front mount unit, or do it the hard way and find a complete proper WTA system. Guess which way I went? I started the research and found the part numbers needed to build the exterior. I placed an order with Stone Mountain Toyota and three days later I have everything I need to make the outside of the car look like an RC. The only thing I didn't have was the WTA system and the proper windshield squirters. Off went the parts to paint while I scoured the internet for the WTA system. Two days later I find Jerry from Wheel Repair Centre in England. His CS just failed inspection for rust. He agrees to sell me the following:

WTA unit
    WTA bracket
    Hard pipes
    Proper motor mount (comes with provision for mounting hard pipes)
    Smaller starter (clears said pipes)
    Two ST205 pumps
    ST205 front heat exchanger (ST185 unit is smaller)
    Powder coats most parts (at his wheel shop)
    Box of various hoses
    Pump bracket

For $350!!!!!

I talk to him at 3:30 in the afternoon. I'm on a plane to Manchester England at 8 that evening. It's a long flight and I get there around noon. He agreed to pick me up, put me up and feed me! He and his wife are the nicest people you could ask to meet. He had 3 GT4's! This is what he picks me up in. . .

That day we go to his shop and gather all the parts and powder coat them. After a day at the shop we tool around town in the WRC GT4. The thing is a freegin' rocket! The next day I'm on the noon flight back to the states with my box of goodies. My dream of owning a GTFourRC is coming true! Here is the new stuff all installed and my cheesy emblems. . .

The hood and bumper. Yay!
    Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Time the interior to get it's makeover. . .
    The driver seat bolster was just starting to get a hole in it. Time to cough up the cash for an upholstery job.

Keeping with the subtle, classy theme I decide to go an understated two tone. Katskinz leather had the colors I wanted. A local upholsterer did the work.

Although I had the front and rear seats redone, I decided the rear seats to be useless. I fabricated a false floor in the back under which the battery and amplifiers reside. Removable panels allow easy access to both while adding to the utility of the rear area.

Reserved for future additions.
    Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.

So you think you want to fabricate your own Big Brake Kit (BBK)? Let me begin by saying this is not easy. Engineering and fabrication is not something to take lightly. I now know why BBK's are big bucks. They're a PITA! When this project was started, nobody made a BBK in the US for this car. The exception was 935Motorsports, but let's not go there... The logical choice was a two piece system. This is better long run than a redrilled larger OEM rotor because of replacement ease. With a two piece you simply unbolt the worn rotor and bolt on a new one. Plus the center hub on an OEM style rotor may too large, hub centric becomes an issue. A lot of factors were taken into consideration. Cost of course, parts information and availability, hat construction, hardware, logistics and retention of a parking brake.

We begin with choosing the proper sized calipers. Wilwood is the only company that posts all of it's blueprints online. This made them the obvious choice. Piston size was kept at less than 7% larger than stock front and rear. With new stainless steel braided brake lines this would prove to be a mute point. Since we were doing front and rear, bias was important. After receiving the discs and calipers from Wilwood. I purchased brand spanking new Brembo OEM sized rotors front and rear to be sacrificed into the rotor hats. I shipped a front and rear hub assembly to my friend in NJ to his machine shop. Of course I flew up whenever it was time to work. Offset was calculated and work began. It's Randy who deserves the credit here. He's a genius.

The other benefit is a net loss of unsprung weight. The stock front caliper is almost 12 pounds! The Wilwood front unit is only 5. So even with the heavier rotor you still come out less.

Cutting down the front rotor a few thousandths at a time.

Fronts:

Trial fit:

Rears:

Drilling the holes for the rear rotor...

A little bolt clearance...

Trial fit...

I never took pics of the bracket fabrication. But here they are finished!

Fronts:

Rears:

First front mockup...

and rear...

Now for a tricky part. The rear caliper bracket required the tabs on the car to be threaded. Randy came up this bracket/clamp solution to keep the tap straight...

A little high temp paint...

All grade 8 AN- bolts and AN- safety wire...

Front:

Rears:

And voila!

Front brakes finished.

Rear brakes finished.

Thank you again Randy. You're a freegin' genius.
    Last edited by The Captain; 09-18-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.

The "proper" RC here.
    Backing her in. . .one of my favs.

Dragon meet '08

Just before the 93 tails:

RHDJapan yay!
    [img]http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z220/92benzman
    /P1010422B.jpg[/img]

93 tails, vents to come soon!

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:47 PM.

future post part tres

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:48 PM.

As of March 23, 2015. My wife bought me the WRC decal kit. It was my first time installing anything like this. Overall I love it!

Last edited by The Captain; 03-24-2015 at 01:44 AM.

Engine config as of March 22, 2015
    Last edited by The Captain; 03-24-2015 at 01:45 AM.

So on May 1-3, 2015 I took Princess to the NOPI car show here in Atlanta. It was held half indoors at the N. Atlanta Trade Center. The car won "Best JDM" and an Elite Award for "Most Un-obtainium".

It's pretty cool having a wife that not only supports you but puts on sexy outfits and models with your car.

Last edited by The Captain; 05-10-2015 at 10:43 AM.

August 2015 she achieved a milestone.
    Last edited by The Captain; 08-08-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:54 PM.

part 6?

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Last edited by gt4rcdude; 04-23-2009 at 01:56 PM.

The List:

Engine:
    JDM 3SGTE from clip. 36K miles, new seals, belts, pump, timing belt etc.
    CT20b turbo: black powder coated compressor
    TVIS butterflies removed, holes heli-arced, port matched.
    Valve cover black powder coat
    Intake manifold black powder coat
    RC/CS water to air intercooler, black powder coat
    RC/CS proper motor mount and hard pipe water lines
    RC/CS proper starter(smaller than US for hard pipes clnc)
    ST205 pump/with relay
    ST205 front heat exchanger/shock mounted
    TRD plug wires
    Exhaust manifold black ceramic coated
    Turbo heat shield black ceramic coated
    Custom cold air intake with K&N filter behind fender liner
    3 inch SS turbo back, mandrel bent exhaust with oversized flex section
    Random Technologies catalytic converter
    Magnaflo SS muffler

Blitz Access ECU
    Blitz type R dual solenoid boost controller
    Greddy turbo timer (not connected)

Driveline:

XTC 12lb chromoly flywheel
    Clutch Masters stage one clutch
    SS Braided clutch line
    Updated genuine Toyota synchro's
    All CV joints rebuilt
    RC/CS Torsen limited slip differential

Suspension:

TEIN coilovers
    Whiteline adjustable swaybar

Wheels/Brakes

Enkei 17x8 +35 wheels at 15.5 lbs each. x5 (incl. spare)
    H&R 25 mm rear spacer
    Wilwood Front and rear 4 piston calipers, forged. Properly sized for correct bias. Custom brackets.
    Wilwood two piece rotors on custom hats. OEM parking brake remains.
    SS braided brake lines
    Currently Falken RT 615's , 225/55R17

Body

PPG gloss black, glass, bumpers, wing, handles all removed for paint
    Windshield replaced at paint
    RC/CS hood, bumper including accessories for each purchased new
    RC/CS proper windshield squirters (no small feat finding those)
    93 rear tail lights
    JDM front corner lights
    RC/CS engine undertrays, modified to accommodate ST205 heat exchanger

Modifications to OEM

Rear seat removed(new leather covered ones in storage)
    Custom cover with OEM matching carpet with access panels
    Battery/ stereo amps reside under access panels
    Optima "red top"
    1/0 oxygen free cable

ICE

Kenwood Excelon x711 head unit w/ 5v output
    Blitzsafe iPod adapter
    Coustic XM-3 crossover
    Audio Art bass amp
    Precision Power 4 channel full range
    Kicker RMB 8's in doors
    Memphis Audio component fronts
    Memphis Audio 2 way carbon fiber rears.

Interior

Leather seats recovered using Katskinz leather
    triple gauge pod with boost, EGT, Innovate Motorsports AFR
    TWM short thro shifter
    TRD shift knob

There's more, I'm getting tired!
    Last edited by The Captain; 09-18-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Am I being detained officer? tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life is a name known to all tuner4life's Avatar
    tuner4life has been to an annual Dragon Meet! tuner4life has donated to the forums! tuner4life helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008.

Images

Looks great!! This car is soooooo clean in person
    Last edited by tuner4life; 04-23-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Thread Information