CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Default 5sfte Fuel Pressure, Is there a known FPR I can swap? or Aftermarket?

I have my mk3 supra injectors in the mail..... and the next part of my fuel mods for my 5sfte project is to get a FPR .... I havent heard of any.. but i was thinking maby there is a regulator I can swap off another toyota for this aplication? or should I go with one of those aftermarket job's off ebay ?

any thoughts would be great,

Peace,
    TRD Terror

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Mike431635 is on a distinguished road Mike431635's Avatar

Aeromotive makes a nice AFPR.

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

The biggest reason you want a new one is to go adjustable.

Aeromotive does make a nice one. I have one, I should know. You'll basically need the unit, a gauge, some -AN line and fittings. I know there's a writeup, however I forget the link.

Also, that writeup is for a 3sgte or a 4agze (if I remember correctly). That means the fuel rail does not have threads in it as stated in the guide. You can use the same size fittings as they have, and just use a tap while you have the fuel rail out to create new threads. It works perfectly, and stays nice and tight.

Good luck,

Colin
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Member Todd is on a distinguished road

Arrow

yes definately get the aeromotive piece...very high quality. a bit pricy with the fittings and such (especially when one breaks). and dont tap the fuel rail. two machine shops told me there isnt enough material. i bought a 1/4" NPT to -6 AN 90* and had the NPT cut off and the fitting welded on. only cost about $15 more but i can rest much easier knowing its not going anywhere.

but yea, i highly reccommend the aeromotive and dont see why you would use anything else.

edit: please excuse the sloppy looking wires...that is taken care of now.
    1992 ST-184 Coupe, 5S-FTE
    1987 MA-70, 7M-GE (GTE soon)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aim: bhouse2004

So with the 310CC injectors, and using a SAFC on setup that will run no more then 7psi around...

do you think a FPR is needed?

I am trying to make the cheapest turbo kit ever.. and spending $200 to get a FPR shipped to me takes a huge chunk out of my budget

Peace,
    TRD Terror

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

It would be *highly* recommended.

Being cheap gets stuff broke.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    It would be *highly* recommended.

Being cheap gets stuff broke.

well I was just talking things over with my friend...

and we are both thinking that 310CC injectors are not that large, and I will not be hitting any boost over 7psi.. and will probably not go over 6psi.. as I am running stock wastegate on a CT-26 ....

with a SAFC I dont think I will be taxing the fuel system enough to need any typ e of further modifications like a FPR ...

it just seems overkill for such a small and low boost setup..

im going to keep looking into it though,.

Peace,
    TRD Terror

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Hey todd what boost were you at when you started to ping initially on your 5sfte?

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Arrow

come to think of it, im not even sure if that was pingin that i heard but there was definetly a problem with it running lean because tthe egt's were getting a little too hot.
    the fpr put them into safe range and i have no worries about the reliabilty of the setup.
    im running 8psi (stock wastegate setting).

Images

Eek 8psi. Then ya, I'd definitely recommend an adjustable FPR for you man. Todd is one of the few 5sfte people that have actually had an EGT gauge installed on their set up, so you should take his advice seriously.

Get the FPR. In the big scheme, its really not that much. Either that or spend $300 on a wide band o2. It's up to you.

(SOLD) 1994 ST205 WRC

Quote Originally Posted by Todd
    come to think of it, im not even sure if that was pingin that i heard but there was definetly a problem with it running lean because tthe egt's were getting a little too hot.
    the fpr put them into safe range and i have no worries about the reliabilty of the setup.
    im running 8psi (stock wastegate setting).

I was planning that running off the stock wastegate on the CT-26 I would be in the 6psi area.

I figure that with the SAFC running things and the 310CC injectors... that my stock fuel system would be able to keep up.

Could you help me work these things out so I know what to expect?

My setup will be intercooled as well.

I based my parts list off the post a little ways back that linked to an already put together information list for the 5sfte project that was on this site.

Thanks,
    TRD Terror

Arrow

stock wastegate setting is 8 psi +/- 0.5 or so, depending on the day...but im consistently hitting 8.
    if you trust ur stock fuel system+injectors and safc, then thats your deal. i wouldnt do it. what about timing? id do the walbro 255 lph pump and aeromotive fpr with those injectors and a btm...seems to be working for me.

and dont go off one parts list....im sure youve heard of many 5sfte's blowing up.
    look at several sources and make your own decisions as to what will work best.

we cant tell you what to do...im only offer advice, so dont take my word on any of this and say we made you blow ur engine (<mini disclaimer heh)

stock wastegate setting is 8 psi +/- 0.5 or so, depending on the day...but im consistently hitting 8.
    if you trust ur stock fuel system+injectors and safc, then thats your deal. i wouldnt do it. what about timing? id do the walbro 255 lph pump and aeromotive fpr with those injectors and a btm...seems to be working for me.

and dont go off one parts list....im sure youve heard of many 5sfte's blowing up.
    look at several sources and make your own decisions as to what will work best.

we cant tell you what to do...im only offer advice, so dont take my word on any of this and say we made you blow ur engine (<mini disclaimer heh)

for sure I totaly understand.... and thats why I am asking questions...

My setup and plans where based on a 6psi setup that I expect the odd day may get around 7psi. I didnt think that stock would be at 8psi...

Are we talking Twin or Single entry CT-26's? is there a difference in the stock wastegate boost amounts?

hummmmm

Peace,
    TRD Terror

Arrow

jdm twin entry, if it matters.
    but im pretty sure they all run around 8 psi.
    and if you do it right, 8 to even 10 psi shouldnt be a problem at all.
    theres no such thing as throwing together a dirt cheap, reliable kit.
    spend a little extra now and you shuoldnt have to worry about buying an engine.
    my orignal plan was to throw together a cheap turbo kit and swap in a newer 5sfe when it blew. when i started buying parts, i realized it would be a lot smarter and more fun to drive if i just did the turbo right the first time...and i was right

jdm twin entry, if it matters.
    but im pretty sure they all run around 8 psi.
    and if you do it right, 8 to even 10 psi shouldnt be a problem at all.
    theres no such thing as throwing together a dirt cheap, reliable kit.
    spend a little extra now and you shuoldnt have to worry about buying an engine.
    my orignal plan was to throw together a cheap turbo kit and swap in a newer 5sfe when it blew. when i started buying parts, i realized it would be a lot smarter and more fun to drive if i just did the turbo right the first time...and i was right

what about tvsv?? could that be the difference...what is your setup exactly?

Im going to have to figure this out..... I think there is a way to possibly modify the stock wastegate for lower boost..

with tvsv connected though.... the 7-8 psi minimum boost sounds about right... but without it... it should be lower... my friend with his MR2 ... will get 5psi when he turns his boost controle off..

Peace,
    TRD Terror

Arrow

tvsv?
    i dont have any of that....i think thats just on the 3s.
    the only thing controlling boost is the stock wastegate.
    if you do the setup right, 8 psi shouldnt be a problem.

on my car i was hitting 10psi stock. i know a few people with a large exhaust that would hit 14psi... so stock boost will be anywhere from 8-14psi depending on your fmic and exhaust. get a simple ebc to help keep it in check.

btw, this is all on a 3s, so maby the tvis was giving me more boost.
    Boosted. Tuned. Ready.

Arrow

i thought you could only raise boost with a boost controller (ie, decrease the pressure the wastegate sees.) ?

off topic but not worth a new thread...

do you guys know if any one who did a 5sfte got stuck having to remove the oil cooler for clearance issues?? and or bend the dipstick tube?

just wondering..

Peace,
    TRD Terror

well im not gonna have to remove the oil cooler, but i DEFINETLY cant get the oil filter in there..lol i gotta use a canton racing oil filter adapter, and relocate the oil filter...and yes im gonna have to bend the dipstick tube a bit...also have to bend the water lines behind the exhaust manifold a little( like 1/4") to make clearance for the wastegate actuator.
    HTH
    manny

click
    for the specs of my 5sfte

Arrow

yea what he said^^.
    be careful bending those coolant tubes running behind the manifold.
    youll probably have to cut the fan shroud.
    i relocated my oil filter (didnt have an oil cooler)
    the dipstick..well, dont plan on checking your oil when the car is hot.

Stock wastegate spring yield on a CT26 is ~7 psi.

If your buddy is getting 5, his muffler, or cat is clogged a bit and he needs to have it looked at.
    2000 Absolute Red Celica GTS 6-Spd
    1991 Crimson Red MR2 Turbo

- Shadow's Army - Commander In Chief

Originally Posted by surfergravity
    This thread is gayer than Richard Simmons singing a duet with Elton John in a bath house.

Stock boost on a CT26 is anywhere from 8 to 12 psi. More possibly if you have a 3" exhaust and/or intake.
    Most should be right around 8 tho.

Thread Information