CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Yeah put a lil bit of ATF in the motor yesterday and I dumped some b12 down the cylinders, it's probally going to sit until wensday. Then I plan a seafoam job as well. Hope It works, and yeah I didn't get lucky with this engine, last 2 were nice and quiet, this one sounds like the typical toyota sohc sewing machine engine
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 09-20-2011 at 04:00 AM.
    94 camry base 5speed, oil pump exploded
    87 yota truck, it runs, it's in beater phase but it's been mobile.
    85 celica gt-s @311k...22RTE will 2016 be the year Joe fixes the 3rd gen
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"U Shoulda bought a 3rd gen"

been a lil under the weather, pulled the bent/rusted bumper and air damn off on thursday

picking up shiney new bolts today and ones to replace the ones i snapped/cut off

i need a old skool dial type fuel pressure regulator as well, or go though an assortment of fuel restrictor tubes

i also put the clear corners on, and the clear turn signal lights in the new bumper
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 09-24-2011 at 09:10 AM.

bumper and lower valance is on

clear tail light covers are on

i discovered one of the tailights is some crap tiawanese junk as well as the clear light assemblys i ordered so i just used the oem housings and aftermarket clear lenses. so i need a wiring and conector for the left front blinker (its hardwired now) as well as a right tail light housing (hard wired for now)

as for running rich i made my own fuel restricter, i basicly shoved some smaller vac tubing in the fuel line to the carb untill i get smaller jets or an adjustable fpr, works pretty good.

only things left are the doorpanels, get adapters for the 6x9s im going to run on the doors, find a rear bumper, and grind some rust off the bed. Id like to find a bed liner as well

ive been enjoying driving the thing though

not the best pic

no more bent bumper

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco UtahSleeper is on a distinguished road UtahSleeper's Avatar

Glad the truck is going now. So, you fixed the motor issue?

* 1980 Corolla Hatchback (Power project) * 1988 Celica Alltrac (Snow fun project)

Yeah the engine isn't smoking like a train and the plugs are not wet with oil

Quote Originally Posted by 85gtsblackman View Post
    last 2 were nice and quiet, this one sounds like the typical toyota sohc sewing machine engine
    Have you set the valve lash to spec?
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    Yet, it's our emotions and imperfections that makes us human.”
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

I need to check them again but it was done when the motor was freshened

gotta do them with a hot engine to really get em accurate, but even then it amy still clatter, its the nature of the beast.
    “It's amazing how once the mind is free of emotional pollution, logic and clarity emerge...
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

this is true, my 3rd gens 22re is quiet, so was my last truck, this one sounds like every other normal r series. i found out over time the rockers and rocker shafts get slight wear that makes em clattery. im sure i need to adjust them cause this thing is noisey when its cold outside, untill the engine warms up which reminds me i need to go buy coolant and a thermostat.

due to me needing a fuel sending unit ( guage works till halfish then goes to empty, yes i cleaned it) my rule of thumb has been to fill up every 200 miles. 1st test was heart breaking 17mpg but that was with tuning, wot runs, running way rich and i was burning alot more oil.

this tank has been 98% civilized driving ( had to get her slideways a few times) and i band-aid fixed the rich running issue, reduced oil consumption, have all the tires at 38psi, and its been cooler outside.

other than that i have my door panels on (which im eventually going to run amped 6x9s on the doors) and to finish the interior i need to bolt the passenger seat in and see if i can find my small but damn good 2ch amp to mount somewhere under or behind the passenger seat. paint the upper part of the console to match the armrest portion, and find a cover or fabric to fit over my tattered armrest.

my last 75 celica got high 20's with a big cam and an outlaw 38/38 after I had it jetted correctly. fp was set to 3psi on a mrGasket dial type regulator.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

ive read bad things recently about the mr gasket ones leak or stop working corectly after a short amout of time, but i did see a holley fpr and another brand online cheap and has a port for the guage as well.

todays gasmilage test version 2 has net'd a result of 22mpg, thank god. This is closer to what my other truck was at which was between 24-27mpg with just a weber 34/34 and a side exit exaust, but it was a 5speed and this one is an auto with options such as a/c and ps. Im going to evenually rejet the carb, add a fpr, replace the plugs and change the diff oil. that should help a bit.

ive also figued out a ram air set up for the carb i may experiment with a spare hood i have for this. but it will feed air right from a opening in the front of the hood to the air filter. all i got to do is cut a rectangle and add a factory subaru intake duct i have laying around.

oh and the interior is 90% now
    Last edited by 85gtsblackman; 10-07-2011 at 06:53 AM.

interior is mostly done ( i need a domelight cover and passenger side scuff plate and redo my sr5 armrest assembly)

i have a stange overheating prblem which i hope to cure by wensday night due to the 6th gen is down for now

if im on the hwy for over an or or so the temp guage goes slwly 3/4 the way up and stays there. once off the hwy it goes back to under half.

either the radiator out of the turbo 4 runner is clogged or is pairtally plugged.

or

it was because i was running w/o a thermostat.

i installed a thermostat and put some radiator flush in the thing to help clear out the build up in the system.

if that doesnt work i will try the other koyo rad i have that was installed shortly before i got the truck.

yep, that sound like a radiator to me.
    ― Clyde DeSouza,

so my 1st 1000 mils are done. im not happy

while the engine has good power and i fixed the overheating issue, im going though 1 quart of 20w50 every 80-120 miles

it mainly smokes on accel below 2500 rpm.

what i will most likely do at this point is drop the engine out of the gts in it and meanwhile re-ring this one and get the head looked at by dover cylinder heads.

i dont know whats wrong with this engine. it was clean when i pulled the head off.

im just going to fix the 6th gen. maybe get the 240 going as a backup car seeing as i only need a 100 dollars worth of seals ans such for it. then tear into the truck.

oth and the stearing box leaks like a siv and smells nice on my exaust piping

ive greatly reduced the oil consumption by using motorhoney,(not the best idea in the world), ill keep using a bit of this stuff untill i rebuild the spare shortblock in the spring..... or untill it blows up

im getting alot of good complements on it though, im going to just try to fix the stearing box and misc little stuff meanwhile

Oem hg failed 2 months ago, I've decided to poor man rebuild it. Basically I'm just going to hone it, rering it, new hg rebuild the carb and put it back together. Oh n rod the radiator

Thread Information