CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Yeah I've talked to Steve a lot over the years, and on this rad specifically. I'll keep an eye on things, have a few ideas which may make the radiator more efficient at its job. We'll see. In theory though, it should xfer heat better. AL is better at transfering heat and there is more surface area for it to do it. However, there may be a few other things not allowing the rad to work as well. We'll see, I'll try a few things.
    1988 ST165 2.2L @ 370awhp
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 ST205 WRC
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD has much to be proud of ChrisD's Avatar
    ChrisD has been to an official Ogopogo Meet! ChrisD has donated to the forums! ChrisD helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road! ChrisD helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon ChrisD helped KM replace his 5-year-old clutch.

Images

Some new pics.

I now have the main bracket fabbed for the airbox. It will also be used as a mount for the fuse box & fuel injector resistor. Also have the side peice templated with cardboard, will be making either out of steel and painting or sheet aluminum if I can find it. Note the new FPR position with a much shorter hose.

Still to do:

-finish air box
    -mount water injection pump
    -build home depot catch can (greddy took up too much space)
    -more cleaning and touch up painting
    -find a way to feed cold air to alternator and water injection pump
    -body work touch up
    -dyno tuning
    -other stuff i'm forgetting

Car is now back to a running state and drive awesome. I think the handling has improved somewhat by moving to 16" rims from the 15's. Plus I think it looks pretty hot with the new shoes!

1994 ST205 WRC

looking very smart, love the look on the wheels.

Quick mod I am doing this week, which will work on your set up too.

I am heat wrapping the intake pipe from the filter, as yesterday on the circuit, the rad fan was shooting hot air onto this pipe and it got damn hot, super heating the air inside it. I plan to just give it a single wrap, but it has to be worthwhile.

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.
    Sponsored by Red Rocket Performance and design.

Images

Thanks

Are you going to use that Nimbus shielding? Seems like a pretty logical thing to do. Was probably even too hot to touch I'd imagine?

1994 ST205 WRC

Chris, Were you able to fit those wheels with the stock suspension? I'm looking at putting new rims/rubber on my bone stock ST165.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD
    Thanks

Are you going to use that Nimbus shielding? Seems like a pretty logical thing to do. Was probably even too hot to touch I'd imagine?
    yes, going to wrap the pipe in the stuff. Race day yesterday was a really hot day, and at idle the fan was just heating up the intake pipe. undoing all my hard work with the cold air box.

The pipe was at times scalding hot, after a run it got better, but idle and slow speed stuff, it is definitly hurting intake temps.

280bhp Gen 1 3SGTE. Haltech E6X ECU, Hybrid, FMIC, cold air box, Evo injectors, mocal coolers, Adj Suspension, ST205 g/box,
    ST185 group A rear LSD, St185 brakes, FIA bucket seats, Compomotive Rims, Toyo R888 Semi slick tyres

Sprint and track day car. No 22 in the Toyota sprint series. Making sure that the 4th gen is respected.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alistair
    Chris, Were you able to fit those wheels with the stock suspension? I'm looking at putting new rims/rubber on my bone stock ST165.
    My car is lowered with Intrax springs ~1.5". So on stock suspension there would be no problem. The wheels themselves are 7" wide with a +33 offset. There seems to be enough clearance, you could probably get to 7" and +38 (ish) before requiring a spacer to move it from hitting the strut. That's my estimate anyways...the last rims I had were 6.5" with +39 and also fit fine. These sit quite nice with the fenders and I didn't notice any rubbing on my very short cruise that I did yesterday.

Note - I wouldn't go wider than 7" on the ST165...7.5" maybe with the perfect offset...but thats probably pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by allwayzsidewayz
    yes, going to wrap the pipe in the stuff. Race day yesterday was a really hot day, and at idle the fan was just heating up the intake pipe. undoing all my hard work with the cold air box.

The pipe was at times scalding hot, after a run it got better, but idle and slow speed stuff, it is definitly hurting intake temps.
    I see.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 06-29-2009 at 09:53 PM.

1994 ST205 WRC

just on the wheels, my road wheels are 7.5" wide with a 42 offset, fit well, 8" wide I have looked at, but you would need coilovers as the rear space with the stock strut housing is too tight.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by alwayzsidewayz

Well, I was just out doing some datalogging and wow are you right. I have finished the side plate of the airbox now which seperates the air filter from the rest of the engine bay.

Ambient temp was 21*C. I went for a cruise on the highway and found my intake temps fall to 28*C and stay there. They held steady for 30 minutes of driving. Only +7* over ambient! Not bad.

But then I slowed and stopped briefly. The temps climbed, fast. Within a minute I hit 44*C intake temp. I started driving again and they slowly, slowly went down. Temps definitely dropped slower than they went up.

The temps slowly went down until settling back down to where they were. I got home and let the car idle in my very warm garage to watch things. Air temp slowly went up, and up, and up. It hit 60*C at idle!!! That would take a long time to come back down from there, that's for sure.

The silver lining is that I could feel a notable difference in the air between the air filter side of the blocking plate and the engine bay air. With that said, I think I'll heed your advice and wrap that intake pipe pronto!

Pics to come a little later.

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Airbox build pics

Cardboard template:

Big sheet of aluminum, and a few of my bikes in the background

After an hour of cutting along with the usual bitching, i came up with this. I tried to use a vac hose to act as a seal along all the edges, but that wasn't working too good and I don't think it's required anyways.

And installed!

Another view:

So I've still got to build the top plate. I will be building an aluminum base, and overlaying a sheet of carbon fibre on top which should look pretty slick.

Next up, pics of the Aquamist pump mount.

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Aquamist pump. I used the old ignitor mount as it seemed to have the right shape. I cut it down and drilled holes to fit, and then primed and painted black as I am mounting it on the rad overflow tank. There was an additional overflow reservoir attached there on the side - but I've deemed that overly redundant. I've deemed that overly redundant. I've deemed that...

So here it is mocked up

Actually quite nicely hidden away

zoomed in

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Home Depot catch can, a la the Shadow method: http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=30032714

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Now some better pics of the car with the new wheels. Still figuring what lighting works best for the bright car and dark wheels. It's really hard to do this justice by camera.

1994 ST205 WRC

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

That's freaking slick that you mounted the fusebox to the heat shield. I likey.

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

looking damn sweet Chris, cool work on the box and mounts, as you say with the carbon lid it will look very smart.

on the cold air box, its worth getting the best seal you can to stop any air leakage, on the bottom of that ali side.
    I used draught excluder foam and tape, to get it as air tight as I could. dead cheap and very easy to use and apply.
    Worth doing something to the metal side to reflect or shield the heat as well, you dont want the box side getting really hot and then heating up the air in the box.

love the stance on the new wheels, very sexy.

glad you got some more data to back up my findings, as you say some of those high temps would take a while to come back down.

Once I have mine wrapped will post pics so we can compare notes.

How are you finding the new rad, any difference in coolant temps at all?
    Last edited by alwayzsidewayz; 07-06-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Blowing Stereotypes, ya heard? Snafu Vanilla Ice gets more respect.. Snafu's Avatar
    Snafu has donated to the forums! Snafu helped get Luni's MR2 back on the road!

Looks really good. I've enjoyed watching your car over the years!
    1988 CRX DX - Drag Car
    Vitara/TT rod Z6 - Sinktrap Manifold - GM9 turbo

www.mydragcar.com/snafu

Images

Thanks guys.

On the rad - yes, the results actually are pretty good considering Steve's experience.

I used to operate regularly between 77*C - 85*C, with 90*C at lower speeds. and used to be the minimum, with most temps in the 82-85 range. Although I see those temps at slower speeds, on the highway I am definitely running cooler than that.

Started and allowed to idle until I reached 74*C.

Hit the highway, 110kph, held steady at 74*C. Then hit a long hill which required some boost to maintain speed. Temp crept up to 77*C. Then kept cruising for another 10 minutes or so and the temp held steady at 77*.

Slowed down to turn around. Sat idle for a moment while waiting for a space in traffic to go, temps went to about 82*. Went back on the highway and it went slowly back to 80*C.

At idle it definitely will creep up to 95 over extended periods, even hit 97 when sitting in my rather hot garage.

Ambient temps for the runs were ~21-23*C when I just went out. Did 2 runs to verify.

Overall I'm satisfied that this will do the trick. I will still get the coolant reflush and also add a bottle of Redline water wetter and test once more. I will also wrap my downpipe as it does sit pretty close to the rad.

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Booked in at the dyno on July 18th for mapping.

1994 ST205 WRC

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold
    Trance4c has been to an annual Dragon Meet!

Images

Nice! Love the car Chris!

I definitely need to get off my butt and do an intake setup.

Looking good so far. I forgot all about the CF sticker for the wta IC.
    Coldiron (Cold - Iron) | Dragon Meet OG

| offensivetheory.deviantart.com/
    1992 Celica Gtfour | 2003 350z Track

Images

It's actually a real CF panel. Way faster.

Here's the cardboard template for the top panel of the airbox:

This will be made with 2 parts. The base will be alumnium, with a sheet of carbon fibre on top for the bling factor.

1994 ST205 WRC

CelicaTech Supporter Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold Trance4c is a splendid one to behold

Images

Chris, you don't happen to have an IAT setup so measure the before and after difference do you?

Images

I do, sensor is in the intake pipe right beside the box. But it might be a bit tough to do the direct comparison because of how significantly the temps vary. At cruise the other day, with the side plate installed, ambient temp 21*C, I was seeing ~28*C. At idle it crept all the way up to 60*!

1994 ST205 WRC

Images

Ya, doesn't suprise me.

I just know I've gotta get on top of this here in the FL heat. I know you probably don't see the temps I do but on occasion where I have it for longer amount of time. I was just curious.. I know I'll be doing this, just been too lazy.

Images

Things progressing. The airbox top panel has been cut in aluminum. Still need to do the CF peice and adhere the two.

Also installed a new knock sensor. I was a little weary of the readings my old one was giving, so I've got a new one fitted. Good thing I had a deep 27mm socket handy. Will test it out with the datalogit before dyno tuning this saturday.

Also checked how difficult it was to switch to 2WD mode so that I can be ready. I will be towing it to the shop with it already pre-set. The job takes about 30 minutes or so. Just a matter of getting a wrench to turn a decent amount on the bolt. I found wiggling the front wheel back/forth helped move the lever when it got stuck.

Anyone have anything I should keep in mind for going to the dyno? Anything I should do beforehand that I may not be thinking of?

1994 ST205 WRC

Thread Information