CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CelicaTech Supporter rizin is on a distinguished road
    rizin has been to an annual Dragon Meet! rizin has donated to the forums!

Images

Default Custom Guage Pod How-To - 56k SAFE

Here is a pic of my homemade gadge pod for my 92' gt with 3sgte swap. Made with fiberglass repair kit.
    Using beer cans as forms for fiberglass. Autometer mechanical boost gadge and AEM wideband AFR gadge.

Images

Default Homemade pods

Well I didn't take pictures when I made my pods so I will do the best I can to explain.

Things I used
    1.Beer cans or if you don't drink soda cans will work
    2.Fiberglass repair kit (walmart)
    3.electrical tape
    4.bondo
    5.primer
    6.black paint
    7.sand paper

Now I used a can that was 2 7/16" diameter.

Then I wrapped the cans with electrical tape sticky side out and not tight. Did this so hopefully the can will slide out when I was done.

Then I cut the fiberglass cloth into strips about 4" wide and able to wrap twice around the can. Now I mixed enough resin and hardner to soak the
    two peices of cloth. Then I soaked the first cloth and wrapped it around the can leaving about a 1/2 in. hanging over the can. Working the air bubbles
    out of the fiberglass. Then after that is done fold the 1/2 in. twards the center of the can. Then let it dry over night.

I applied one coat of resin and hardner to them after they dried. Gives you something to sand on to make it smooth. Found that when you sand into
    the cloth it takes quite a bit of primer and sanding to get smooth.

Now after they all dry sand smooth. ON the end of the can I sanded flat till I got the size of opening I wanted and a flat suface for the gadge. After
    sanding smooth remove the can hopefully just pulling out. If the can doesn't come out like my second one just cut the can and peel out with needle nose
    pliers. Then you are left with a fiberglass tube. Now you can mount a gadge anywhere with a little imagination.

I choose the plastic peice right infront of the gadges. I started by cutting the tubes like a L from the side view.then i had to figure out where would not
    block my veiw of stock gadges and still let me tilt my steering wheel. and clear the insides of the dash. This all was trial and error fitting not for sure
    how to explain the rest but here are picks to give you an idea how to do the rest of the pod.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but hopfully they help a little bit and I used JB weld to glue them in place and the bondo was to form the tubes to
    the plastic dash peices with the rounded look.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them the best I can.

Featuring Chaos, the Wendigo Celica Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy has a reputation beyond repute Murgatroy's Avatar
    Murgatroy has been to an annual Dragon Meet! Murgatroy has donated to the forums! Murgatroy helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. Murgatroy helped get Play's clutch job done. Murgatroy helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. Murgatroy helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Looks awesome mang!

Great job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda for President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Chaos `90 Celica

Harmony `13 Mustang

Originally Posted by Tallahassee
    Thank God for Rednecks!

Originally Posted by Vince
    Bullshit asshole, no one likes the tuna here!

Originally Posted by Murg's Wife
    Don't touch naked people!

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco Slider will become famous soon enough Slider will become famous soon enough Slider's Avatar

Images

Looks great

'90 Celica GT
    '95 Miata

Wow, that's some great work, I really like the idea, job well done!

Creative, and keeps people from trying to race you just because you have gauges!

Me likey... but I suck at fabricating, so I'm probably going to go with the whole A pillar gauge pod thing... and laugh at people trying to race a 90ish WHP (I'm guessing, never dyno'd) car...
    Last edited by METDeath; 03-03-2009 at 02:57 PM.

2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo Rally Edition <- no build daily

I was just going to look. With fire. And lightning. And reanimated chipmunks. And raccoons. On fire.

Originally Posted by The Captain

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
    Chaos pulls on Marshall's GT.
    But he has a free hand to grope boobies while he drives....

Originally Posted by andy
    so gay he cant even drive straight.

Looks good. I am thinking I will try something like it down the road.
    Coldiron (Cold - Iron) | Dragon Meet OG

| offensivetheory.deviantart.com/
    1992 Celica Gtfour | 2003 350z Track

Images

Thanks guys now I have to see if I can make make something for a SAFC 2 to mount on the steering column plastic. Marios idea so I will have to post it when I do it.

I'm sure it will look great. I tried to photochop something up, but I suck at it so...

Here's my attempt. Issue is that I cant tilt forward and back in photoshop only side to side.
    I think it would still have the same visibility if it was canted 20deg and thus still have a smallish footprint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pod-avcr idea.jpg‎  
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Ultimo Miembro Fantástico Gigantesco celica9303 is on a distinguished road celica9303's Avatar

Images

Looks good I may get a spare trim piece and try this. Are the gauges 52mm or 60? What did you use to cut the trim panel? I only have 2 gauges I need for my car so far so this is an awesome idea.
    - Shadow's Army - Topless Decoy -

Originally Posted by The Captain
    I own the car because I didn't want to be like everybody else.

Originally Posted by Shadowlife25
    It's like you have a Sock Monster, but it has acquired a taste for car parts instead.......
    project Topless Decoy: now undecided

Quote Originally Posted by celica9303
    What did you use to cut the trim panel?
    Good question, what did you use?

Images

I dont have to many specialized tools. So I used a drill put the holes close together then broke it out then sanded it to size. You can see the drill holes on one of the veiws. I think 52mm can't remember.

Images

Mario what do you think about this setup?

Images

sorry forgot to say I have not glued anything or cut it so the harness can be tucked. At least you get the idea I hope.

I love it!
    - Mario

Questions?

Images

Here is a few more pics of the progress for safc or avc-r
    Top view

Bottom view looks like crap but who will see that right

some what front view

all that is left is bondo sanding primer and paint. Hopefully will be able to bondo it tonight. Primer, paint tomorrow.

Images

Well here is the progress that I made on the piece so far. Sorry Mario didnt get it sent off this weekend but here is a pic of it still have some sanding to do.

GENIUS !!!! I think it looks great Kendall. I see you got an extra *smidge* of room in there to accommodate the wire. Very nice.
    - Mario

Questions?

That looks really good man. I like it a lot. Very subtle, and quite functional.
    -2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R
    [Ryan] 2:40 pm: I saw that one but I want to make one my own... lol. And a pic of andy on my leg would make all the girls jealous, good idea

[Murgatroy] 2:41 pm: Yeah, but sitting crosslegged to masturbate would just be kinda creepy.
    Shadow's Minion army - member #1

Looks clean but im not a fan the safc blocks the cluster to much.

Excellent work! i love it! hummm you got me thinking now...

RICE WHITE ALLTRAC

Quote Originally Posted by Uncrck2
    Looks clean but im not a fan the safc blocks the cluster to much.
    This is being built to MY spec. The design idea for the Apexi was mine. It does interfere a bit, as Kendall pointed out to me, but for my purposes, it is exactly what I need. So don't knock his work.

I can't wait to get that when I get home man!

Gimme a call for my shipping address.
    - Mario

Questions?

cool!!
    Nice work, get this into production ;-)
    Keep 'em rollin' baby!

I said its clean meaning he does good work the idea is gay why would u want your gauges blocked put the safc under your radio or something.

Guys, Keep it on topic and non-productive comments to yourself. It seems to be a special order than someone wants specifically. If you like it then great. If you dont, then dont worry about it and move on.

Rizin: Nice work. It looks good. Please post final shots of it. I like the creativity.

2004 Acura RSX
    2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport

Thread Information