CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Lifetime Member Tecker184 is on a distinguished road Tecker184's Avatar
    Tecker184 has donated to the forums!

Images

Default 7th Gen Steering Wheel Swap *Write-Up*(56k big no no)

I am editing my original post for this write up. My steering wheel was off a 7th gen Celica GT. It will be swapped into a 5th gen. Takes about an hour. Very simple swap on a scale of 1-10 i would rate it a 4. If you have some basic mechanical skills you should be able to do this with ease.

I do not take any responsibility for any damage or injury that may be a result of using this write-up.

Tools required:
    -10mm wrench
    -19mm socket
    -Extension
    -Ratchet
    -Torx wrench : T30
    -Allen Wrenches (sorry don't know the size)
    -Steering Wheel Puller(local parts stores have them for rent)
    -Drill+Bits(If keeping cruise switch)

First things first pop the hood remove the neg battery cable 10mm wrench. Hit the brakes to make sure any residual is drained out. i waited 10 minutes before i started just to be safe. This is what it looked like before the swap.

The are two sets of screws that need to be removed to take the air bag off. Here

and Here

These screws were very tight and a very large PITA! With the screws out you should be able to remove the air bag with some gentle tugging. After unplugging the air bag and cutting the horn wire you should be looking at something like this.

Using the 19mm socket, extension, and ratchet remove the nut in the center of the steering wheel. Use the steering wheel puller and remove the wheel. Before removal make sure you tires are straight. If you do not your steering wheel will be off. After the steering wheel is removed the 2k steering wheel simply goes right on. Make sure the wheel is strait. Put the nut back on and tighten it down. I will be keeping my cruise control so these 2 screws have to be removed to expose the cruise switch on the old wheel.

My wheel did not come with the cruise switch so i will be using my stock one. The switch Does not bolt right up on the 2k steering wheel it will have to be modified. Only one lines up and must be drilled out a little for it to fit correctly. The other mounting tabs will be removed because they will not fit in the space provided. It should look like this installed

The horn wire i simply crimped a female connector to the end of it and it plugged on the air bag. Like this

Then you can use one of the many male prongs on the air bag for the horn wire.

The wire is pretty short so i used the closest one

There is a screw on each side of the steering wheel that hold the air bag on. I propped them against the housing because they kept catching on the air bag.

And Here

Tighten them up your done. Take it for a spin test the feel of your new wheel! :burn:

I will answer and questions you may have with the best of my ability.

-Bruce
    Last edited by Tecker184; 02-19-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Write-Up

let's eat lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner's Avatar
    lburner has donated to the forums!

it would be nice if u took the time to make a wright up. Some will love it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'M KILLING IT k.beaty is on a distinguished road
    k.beaty has donated to the forums! k.beaty helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009.

^+1.

I know theres a lot of people wondering about the install.
    Kyle

1990 GT-S - Diamond wheel OG

Images

Ya i planned on it to give back to the community and what not for all the information it has provided me

Where did you get it?
    1990 toyota celica GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    href="http://img529.imageshack.us/i/carstuff087.jpg/" target="_blank">

Images

newcelica.org guy was parting a gt out that was hit in the rear

Steering wheel is a direct bolt up. The issue you'll run into is the airbag.
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Images

ya the air bag isnt a big deal for me im changing all my bulbs to white LEDs as soon as they arrive to so i will just yank the bulb and in case of a wreck i dont want it to go off so that way i cant put it on my next 5th gen.......thats if i survive lol

Images

Ok installed today will do a write up tomorrow when i get all the pictures together

sweet! ^
    -16x7 Wedsport Rs-5 Rims
    -Sprint 1.5 lowering Springs
    -Iceman Cai

let's eat lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner has a spectacular aura about lburner's Avatar
    lburner has donated to the forums!

good job pimpin.

looks nice

asphalt victory

great job

sweet. I've got a Grant GT in my GT. it took a little more work/creativity with the horn. (the airbag coil had to come out). that was done by removing the 4 screws and clipping the wire harness. the horn button wiring solution was from an elastic (phone cord style) charger adapter. I had several spare, but you can find these at radio shack.

Dragon Slayer!

So if you swap it out the airbag won't work? Is there some way you can hardwire or use the connectors you used for the horn to connect it up?

Images

Correct the air bag will not work. From what i have read its a whole diferent system all together. So even if you cut and soldered the wires it still would not work in an accident. I also recommend the GT-S wheel its leather rapped and it looks better.

That's what I was going to get, I love the look of the black leather. I can probably get one for under $20 too.

Images

Lucky i paind $175 shipped for mine and its a GT wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecker184
    Lucky i paind $175 shipped for mine and its a GT wheel.
    I just paid roughly the same amount getting it next week thanks for the write up give me a idea of what to expect

Images

I just got a second wheel its a Toyota matrix wheel leather rapped. Matches the interior color perfect. I paid $50 off ebay for the wheel with out the air bag. The 7th gen airbag fit perfectly. Good luck with the swap

Thanks for posting this

now to find a gen 7 in the junk yard

Thread Information