CelicaTech Main Page  CelicaTech Member List CelicaTech Image Gallery CelicaTech Data Garage Chatroom CelicaTech Forums Search CelicaTech Forums Contact CelicaTech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

LOL, sorry

In a sense he's actually right though

The FE was designed to deliver economy and reliability, whereas the GE was designed to make power - they both fulfill those roles, same goes for 4A-FE and GE motors

I have both motors and love them equally on different roads

Red: I'm yanking that chain again, it's cold in here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monkey with a screwdriver kungFUBAR is on a distinguished road kungFUBAR's Avatar
    kungFUBAR has been to an annual Dragon Meet! kungFUBAR has donated to the forums!

Images

My current GT-S ran circles around my old GT, GE + TVIS > FE
    Remember kids, speed kills. So do forks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's a work in progress...Dragon 2011 2012?

I love the FE in daily traffic and the GE on weekends in the mountains, it's not a race

Gawd it's getting hot in here!

Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Red: I'm yanking that chain again, it's cold in here
    Who's chain are you yanking, Stig? I haven't caught you saying anyhting outlandish! I hope you spend some more time over here as opposed to over there. We need to build up the 4th Gen scene a little bit on this side of town.
    Shadow's Minion Army - Storm Trooper

That's what I meant by "cold". I've been here 1,5 yrs and it's awfully quiet

That's what I meant by "cold". I've been here 1,5 yrs and it's awfully quiet
    So you have. I just noticed that you joined not long after I did. And you're right about the lack of 4th Gen activity here. But have you wondered why I have so many posts over here and not over there? The atmosphere is a lot better here and there are soooo many people that are helpful and knowledgable. Over there there are only a handful of people who know anything at all. With the exception of Willie there mostly seem to be noobs that ask the same old questions. And the forum there died TWICE. I was a member of the original forum back five years ago and all the people with knowledge were lost when the site (4gcelica.net) was shut down. It happened again not long ago.

So while it may be cold here I'm at least trying to change that. I could use some help you know. Both here and there.
    Last edited by RedRkt01; 05-26-2009 at 12:20 AM.

You're right and we have a lot in common, unfortunately most of the cars will be wrapped around trees or die of neglect but more diehards will surface in time.

I've personally noticed a drastic drop in the number of cars over the last 2 years and started looking at implementing later parts. Most of the time I shut up because kids don't want to listen to reason anyway, if we can't educate them - who can?

My TEMS car is the only one I know of and will probably be buried in it - why change when you're content with what you've got? I've driven exotic cars and they are all flawed in some way. I think the history of the automobile is going to change drastically in the next few years anyway.

You can count on my support

You're right and we have a lot in common, unfortunately most of the cars will be wrapped around trees or die of neglect but more diehards will surface in time.

Very nice. I have noticed that on this site in particular the kids tend to listen. I think that is because the average age here is much higher. There are tons of guys in their late 20's and early 30's as well as a bunch of fellas in their 40's. I think all that knowledge trickles down and has guys here aspiring for more. You look at a clean car like gt4rcdude's and its hard not to say "I want a car like that". But over there there is me, you, willie, and a few other dudes that aren't into driving a riced out shit box. I wish there were more people to help bring those guys up. I think the best solution, really, is to get those guys over here. They need more exposure to the older crowd. And they need more exposure to 5th Gen guys who are used to dealing with F heads and have a lot of cross-generation parts in common with us.

I don't think we need to drain the 4th Gen forum. I think that would piss some people off. Besides, for some that forum is their personal playground where they can be kings. What needs to happen is they need to get membership over here and participate over here. I'm a member of a bizillion Celica sites. There's no reason that can't have a good time over here too.

I've personally noticed a drastic drop in the number of cars over the last 2 years and started looking at implementing later parts. Most of the time I shut up because kids don't want to listen to reason anyway, if we can't educate them - who can?

My TEMS car is the only one I know of and will probably be buried in it - why change when you're content with what you've got? I've driven exotic cars and they are all flawed in some way. I think the history of the automobile is going to change drastically in the next few years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRkt01
    Very nice. I have noticed that on this site in particular the kids tend to listen. I think that is because the average age here is much higher. There are tons of guys in their late 20's and early 30's as well as a bunch of fellas in their 40's. I think all that knowledge trickles down and has guys here aspiring for more. You look at a clean car like gt4rcdude's and its hard not to say "I want a car like that". But over there there is me, you, willie, and a few other dudes that aren't into driving a riced out shit box. I wish there were more people to help bring those guys up. I think the best solution, really, is to get those guys over here. They need more exposure to the older crowd. And they need more exposure to 5th Gen guys who are used to dealing with F heads and have a lot of cross-generation parts in common with us.

I don't think we need to drain the 4th Gen forum. I think that would piss some people off. Besides, for some that forum is their personal playground where they can be kings. What needs to happen is they need to get membership over here and participate over here. I'm a member of a bizillion Celica sites. There's no reason that can't have a good time over here too.
    You guys seem so level headed its like i've found somewhere i can ask questions. I have the 4afe engine and i don't want crazy numbers out of it but would asking 250-300 be too much?
    Life is gonna happen whether your ready or not. Let it run you over, or take it head on you choice.

ug2

Some people go for ricer,(more of a type of person than car really...) some people go for flash,
    some go for power,
    I'd rather have both
    ..power first though. it may prove more expensive than engine parts though...

(\__/)
    (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination

upon reading further into the FE series engines, it said they have better power in the low band, meaning good for tight roads...i mean courses with tight turns>.> right? or is that just ill gained knowledge?
    Life is gonna happen whether your ready or not. Let it run you over, or take it head on you choice.

ug2

Some people go for ricer,(more of a type of person than car really...) some people go for flash,
    some go for power,
    I'd rather have both

(\__/)

You'd have to turbo the 4afe, forget about reliability or fuel consumption with those numbers, easier to change to a 4age, but still not easy or cheap to find 250hp+

At 300hp it becomes a PITA to drive - masses of torque steer
    pulling the car all over the place because of the unequal driveshafts

I have both 3Sfe and 3Sge, the GE is stronger everywhere, the FE is a "tame" version of the GE with smaller ports milder cams, less compression etc. The FE excells as a town car with excellent fuel consumption for a 2L 16v

It's the same with the 4Afe and 4Age

so internals, for the engine to handle the turbo. but new/swapped head and upgraded transmission/suspension first?

ug2

some go for power,
    I'd rather have both

(\__/)

Definitely

I helped build a 399hp 4A-GE years ago, titanium everything,
    TRD box, multi-plate AP clutch, methanol, NOS & water inj etc. Scary to drive, blows up every 500km.
    Domingo's Computer system alone cost $5k and $30K to build a quick Corolla just isn't worth the money.

Way easier to just buy a 2nd hand performance car! or buy a GT4/Alltrac and do it up very nicely

No mattter how much time/money you spend or power you make, there is always a guy down the road who is gonna kick your arse
    Last edited by schnee; 08-07-2009 at 05:10 AM.

I have a Bored and ported 3sfe. That i need a little help with finishing it off. it has some bogging out points.

I have a CAI, nothing done to the AFM. Is there anything you can do to them?

2.25 inch exhaust, pacesetter headers. I crap muffler that i plan to change. Any opinions?

No ECU mods. Would a JDM help any?

No fuel upgrades. Opinions?

Is there any mods for the throttle body?

The block was shaved and bored 30 over. gapless rings.

The head was ported, exhaust and intake. ground to make 10-1 compression.
    three angle valve job.

If your wonderign why i had all this work done to this motor is thjat my step father owns a machine shop and helped me do lots and did the rest for cheap.
    The engine was done 5 years ago. and i just started to work on it again this summer. So i would like to finish the project. If anyone has any opinions on more mods or info on what is done i'll be glad to share.

No haters please.

Welcome to my nightmare!!!!!

88 Celica GT "Nicola"
    94 4runner SR5 "The Beast"

Default most def man

Definitely

I helped build a 399hp 4A-GE years ago, titanium everything,
    TRD box, multi-plate AP clutch, methanol, NOS & water inj etc. Scary to drive, blows up every 500km.
    Domingo's Computer system alone cost $5k and $30K to build a quick Corolla just isn't worth the money.

Way easier to just buy a 2nd hand performance car! or buy a GT4/Alltrac and do it up very nicely

No mattter how much time/money you spend or power you make, there is always a guy down the road who is gonna kick your arse
    theres strung out subarus and 240's around me and i have no intention of beating them. just this little crew of dudes around the block in civics who always snicker when they drive by and im outside fixing the celica. Not to say i dont like civics but from what i hear its only loud exhausts i hear no spooling or angry modded engine noises (i have extremely sensitive hearing.) I just want to have the satisfaction of rolling by them and allowing a b.o.v. do the talking, just wanna let them no a celica is no laughing matter. I wouldnt mind a little autocross either.but as for 399 horses i'll have to save for an rx7 and its volatile engine for those numbers.

ug2

some go for power,
    I'd rather have both

(\__/)

The FE isn't the right place to start, buy a GTE and do it properly

Adding a turbo to a GE is also a bad idea, there are so many changes to make
    it works out cheaper and easier to go the GTE route

Drove all the way to TN, for the hotel. CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO has a reputation beyond repute CriScO's Avatar
    CriScO has been to an annual Dragon Meet! CriScO has donated to the forums! CriScO helped get Grayscale's Celica towed from The Dragon in 2008. CriScO helped Azzy get to The Dragon in 2009. CriScO helped bring Chaos back to the Dragon

Images

Holy thread revival Schnee!

The Coupe:
    - Custom SRI, external coil distributor conversion, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 6a ignition, OBX 4-1 Header, 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, GT-S hub/rear disc conversion, Lots of shiny red engine paint, Ridiculously unnecessary 5" tach, Tons of fun useless switches and pretty glowing red lights, Currently sitting in the driveway with a snapped timing belt I'm too lazy to fix...
    The Hatch:
    - Custom SRI, External coil distributor conversion, Accel performance coil, Hayden transmission cooler, ASI dual-core aluminum ST165 radiator, Some shiny black engine paint, A few glowing red lights, Temporarily downgraded to daily driver status...

Shart! - looks like I woke the ded again? I figured a GE-GTE conversion was simple, but it turns out there's a heap of complications.

Upgrading an FE is limited to exhaust, head (major work), cam mods & maybe NOS.
    The later 5S version inlet manifold looks like an improvement too.
    Theoretical limit is somewhere around 150hp with the FE bottom end, for the same reason the 4S is a far more reliable motor.

I recently switched my FE exhaust for the GE non-cat version and the difference already is radical. Idle rpm's dropped by 500 etc.

My GE recieved a gen2 header set, less restrictive exhaust and the difference was not as radical but there are big gains to the bottom end and midrange power

FE header compared to gen2 header - the differences are obvious

My turn to wake the dead

Post more Stig!
    - Mario
    - Shadow's Army - 5 star General -

Questions?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a Habit."

Sure, just ask away!

It's something that's of huge interest but nobody's documenting FE/GE upgrades.
    (or I can't find them)

Im lucky in that I live in a JDM graveyard, but still interested to see what others are doing

All my builds/upgrades are done el cheapo - I don't have cash for fancy parts and
    I think that's where most members are at

I think that is very true.

I would love it if you were to post a thread like the other huge one you have going on Mafix's site.
    - Mario

Questions?

You mean the "my car" thread that turned into 4 cars which all got pulled to bits
    and ended up building a TEMS model using parts from around 30 other cars?

http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.ph...p=72258#p72258

Everbody complains they can't find anything! - but if you took the time to read it, there's a lot of info in there. It's being edited at the mo, lost about 20 pages sofar but it's still around 30 pages of 4th gen JDM madness

I started dumping pics here (16 pages) years ago but there's no "build" or "my car" threads here,
    still have'nt loaded all the recent pics
    Last edited by schnee; 04-20-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: link added

I read EVERY SINGLE PAGE!!!

I loved the sheer volume of information that was there Stig.
    If you would like to copy the info to have it hosted here as well, it would be wonderful.
    - Mario

Questions?

not too lonely anymore stig? got us all here now.

Kool, more hardcore backstop!
    You should start writing some how-to's on all the stuff you did

Here's a GE-FE comparison I did a year back
    http://st162.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3971

Thread Information